AWS Codes

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgsmith2_PE

Reaction score
I'm taking the construction depth module and was wondering if any of the AWS codes would help? The list of construction topics lists something about welding and testing. I figured they could throw some welding symbol or random question about RT or UT testing. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks.

I'm taking the construction depth module and was wondering if any of the AWS codes would help? The list of construction topics lists something about welding and testing. I figured they could throw some welding symbol or random question about RT or UT testing. Does anyone have any experience with this?
Thanks.

You could also look though the ASME codes, i.e. section IX, and Section III, Subsection NF,. I am more familier with the pressure boundary codes relating to welding. From a pressure boundry standpoint full penetration welds (but welds) require RT as well as a final surface exam and partial pen. welds require a progressive surface exam (dye penetrant). Fillet welds usualy require a final surface and visual exam only. UT is used in base metal and weld exams in place of RT as long as it has been demonstrated to be effective (i.e. EPRI qualified).

Back