Jump to content
Engineer Boards


  • Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

5 Neutral

About StandardPractice

  • Rank
    Project Engineer

Profile Information

Previous Fields

  • Engineering Field
  • License
  • Discipline
  1. Structural Spans

    A few factors would come into play to determine the best system e.g. intended loading, any dynamic loading (if so a stiffer system should be utilized), etc. it's hard to base a building material off a span as they can all span 20' efficiently for most part.
  2. Does your employment references on the CA application need to match your NCEES record references? I am applying for the state specific CA tests to get a CA license through comity. In the instructions on the application it states the following on the engagement summary page: This makes no sense to me since why would your references need to match each engagement i.e. I have 5 references from one employer and none from another, but have both employments listed for engagement verification only. Any clarification would be helpful, thanks
  3. Aisc manual- do I really need it?

    NO the AISC manual is not needed in morning, but find a way to download shear moment diagram tables as that will help visualize concepts and loading questions that may be asked in the morning.
  4. x2...FE exam is not too bad especially given that it's CBT and you can "control+F" the workbook that goes along with the test.
  5. I wanted to start this thread to help foreign engineers with advice in applying for PE exam and career advice as far as process for obtaining proper documentation to be able to work within US. Below are a series of links and videos that I have come across that should help. If anyone has additional information or personal experiences PLEASE SHARE in this thread. I'd like to try and compile as much info in this thread as possible, thanks! NCEES International Engineering Info - http://ncees.org/engineering/engineering-licensure/international-engineering/ NCEES Credential Evaluation - http://ncees.org/records/ncees-credentials-evaluations/ Dave Clements Personal Story (great info) - https://www.davidclements.me/2013/03/06/my-long-road-to-becoming-a-licensed-professional-engineer/ Institute of Civil Engineers Advice - https://www.ice.org.uk/about-ice/near-you/north-america/usa/working-in-the-usa
  6. How I Passed April 2017 Civil/Str Exam

    Great post!
  7. Mechanical background taking civil structural

    1) I'd tab your EET notes in relation to the NCEES study guide topics. It will help reduce unnecessary tabs maybe. PPI offers an online problem solving for 30 day or 60 day access that was useful for me for the morning breadth. 2) I put about a month into the afternoon structural portion, not including practice exam time. Averaged about an hour or two a day (45 hrs in total probably). This is very person specific though and I'd advise taking the afternoon practice exam now to see how much of the topics you are unfamiliar with. If you take the afternoon practice exam from NCESS or PPI I wouldn't focus on # correct, but rather how many times did you have a viable solution path. That tells you more if you are familiar with topics than if you got problem correct. You can work out small kinks if you got a problem wrong but was "close". 3) This is dangerous and take any advice with a grain of salt lol, but rely on the problem estimates from NCEES. It's usually very close to actual. If a topic only had 1 estimated problem on exam I didn't focus too hard on it. Take a look at this video about the PE exam afterthoughts and structural afternoon portion. It might help some:
  8. North Carolina Qualifying Experience

    I was granted a NC PE license and I worked for 1.5 years under a roofing contractor and no PE's on staff. It was considered general construction experience which relates directly to engineering experience. I believe only two years needs to be under supervision of a PE and even then the board grants exceptions e.g. military applicants, working in an exempt field where supervisors don't have PE license, etc. Submit your experience and see what they say.

    Same here PE me if anyone willing to sell course notes that are not needed anymore

    NC results out, back to studying for me. Unacceptable both parts. Splitting up the exams this time around. Vertical in fall, lateral next Spring.
  11. Results out this week

    yea looks like a wash for today, but results should be here in due time Im sure. I'd rather them take their time and get the results right
  12. I am a bit confused on the registration deadline for the Seismic and Surveying exams. If I already possess a PE license from another state, I still have to meet the "new" file deadline correct? I was not expecting it to be so early (May 1st for this Fall cycle) and a little annoyed I may have to wait until April 2018 to take these two small exams. I've emailed the board, but wanted to get any personal experiences or a possible work around that others can provide, thanks.
  13. Results out this week

    I'm hoping for somewhere between Wednesday and Friday
  14. Asking for a raise after passing the PE Exam.

    Dang I need to move to Houston. Funny how I have two jobs I am currently working on in Houston, but I am from out of state. Might as well jump ship to the great state of TX to practice structural engineering
  15. How I Passed April 2017 Civil/Str Exam

    Great advice!