3 replies to this topic

#1 owillis28

owillis28

Project Manager

• 191 posts
  • Discipline:Civil

Posted 22 April 2009 - 02:35 PM

HELP

What is the difference between HS-20 loading and HL-93 loading? What section in the AASHTO is it in? I haven't been able to purchase extra study material outside of what my company has due to financial constraints.

owillis

#2 MA_PE

MA_PE

engine near

• EB Supporting Member
  • 12,316 posts
  • Discipline:Structural

Posted 22 April 2009 - 03:15 PM

QUOTE (owillis28 @ Apr 22 2009, 10:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
HELP

What is the difference between HS-20 loading and HL-93 loading? What section in the AASHTO is it in? I haven't been able to purchase extra study material outside of what my company has due to financial constraints.

owillis

My reference is the latest AASHTO LRFD code so the literal section numbers might be a little different from the test code (2003) but they should be close.

3.6.1.2.1 HL-93 is "the design truck OR design tandem" + "design lane load"

The design truck is an HS-20 truck (see section 3.6.1.2.2). The design tandem is two 25 k axles spaced 4 ft apart (see section 3.6.1.2.3).
The design lane load is 0.64 klf uniformly distributed in the logitudinal direction (see section 3.6.1.2.4).

Short answer is that to check an HL-93 load, one must consider the
combined load of the HS-20 truck with the lane load and also.
combined load of the tandem truck and the lane load.

Hope this helps.

#3 andy383

andy383

Intern

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 05:42 PM

Does this mean 1 and only 1 truck per span plus the lane loading? That is what I think but would like confirmation if anyone knows.
Cheers
Andy

#4 MA_PE

MA_PE

engine near

• EB Supporting Member
  • 12,316 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 06:47 PM

QUOTE (andy383 @ Feb 14 2011, 12:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does this mean 1 and only 1 truck per span plus the lane loading? That is what I think but would like confirmation if anyone knows.
Cheers
Andy

The spec is pretty detailed on how to apply the load. You need to consult it for your specific application. IF only one truck is used then a "multiple presence" factor of 1.2 is applied. Also, don't forget impact.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

=