Broaden forum to beyond PE exam

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_bigtrees_*

Guest_bigtrees_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2008 - 09:37 PM

I think you have a great setup here, but I'd recommend expanding the topics beyond the PE exam. It seems that a lot of people post here for advice on the exam, take the exam, and then go away.

Why not broaden it to include more engineering topics and try to adjust the setup so asking questions about engineering topics (CAD, CAM, and a variety of more specific topics) becomes the focus and the PE exam is a sideshow?

I mention this because eng-tips.com is the biggest engineering board but something happened and I cannot register or use it anymore. I've e-mailed support and it doesn't seem like anyone is receiving the e-mails. I think you have a great opportunity to take readership away (and provide me with a functional forum system to use).

#2 ktulu

ktulu

Veteran

• Veteran
  • 2,828 posts
  • Discipline:Civil

Posted 14 August 2008 - 12:24 AM

The PE Exam is the sole reason why this board is here in the first place. So it becoming a 'sideshow' probably will never happen. Road Guy started this board while waiting for results. Along with other reasons that I won't go into.

There are forums here where you can discuss engineering related topics. All it takes is a little time looking around - they are not hard to find. And the people here are very willing to discuss different topics. I have succeeded in acquiring a great deal of information here that I have used to complete work related projects.

But I agree with you in that a lot of people join just to stress with other people waiting for the results. And that's cool. However, a lot of people stay and help with the continual wave of people prepping for the exam. As well as talk about engineering topics.

Hope you find what you're looking for.

ktulu

#3 Road Guy

Road Guy

35 years and a wakeup

• Admin
  • 18,765 posts
  • Interests:Yoga Pants, Ski!, SCUBA, Backpacking, Kicking Ass, etc
  • Discipline:Construction

Posted 14 August 2008 - 06:41 PM

we do always want to keep the test prep a major part of the forum, but would also love to increase the 'technical" sections, we will expand them as they grow, add subforms, etc, but didnt want to have 65 items on the front page

#4 jregieng

jregieng

Ninjaneer !!!

• Moderators
  • 11,839 posts
  • Discipline:Sorely Lacking

Posted 21 August 2008 - 07:37 PM

QUOTE (bigtrees @ Aug 13 2008, 05:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I mention this because eng-tips.com is the biggest engineering board but something happened and I cannot register or use it anymore. I've e-mailed support and it doesn't seem like anyone is receiving the e-mails. I think you have a great opportunity to take readership away (and provide me with a functional forum system to use).

They seemed to have IP Banned me and I didn't even say ham sandwich! true.gif

QUOTE (ktulu @ Aug 13 2008, 08:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There are forums here where you can discuss engineering related topics. All it takes is a little time looking around - they are not hard to find. And the people here are very willing to discuss different topics. I have succeeded in acquiring a great deal of information here that I have used to complete work related projects.

This is spot-on - the ebb and flow of technically oriented engineering discussions can be found with a little searching. I would definitely like to see more techie talk topics/discussion but I don't think we have the level of participation in THOSE areas to support more forums/subforums yet.

QUOTE (Road Guy @ Aug 14 2008, 02:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
we do always want to keep the test prep a major part of the forum, but would also love to increase the 'technical" sections, we will expand them as they grow, add subforms, etc, but didnt want to have 65 items on the front page

Completely agree - I think the existing setup serves the purpose. smile.gif

JR

#5 Slugger926

Slugger926

Chief Engineer

• Charter Member
  • 2,317 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 06:11 PM

QUOTE (jregieng @ Aug 19 2008, 05:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is spot-on - the ebb and flow of technically oriented engineering discussions can be found with a little searching. I would definitely like to see more techie talk topics/discussion but I don't think we have the level of participation in THOSE areas to support more forums/subforums yet.

Completely agree - I think the existing setup serves the purpose. smile.gif

JR

I have been banned from eng-tips for just posting engineering laws showing the requirements for licensure.

#6 maryannette

maryannette

Wise One

• Charter Member
  • 10,687 posts
  • Discipline:Mechanical

Posted 29 October 2008 - 10:44 AM

QUOTE (jregieng @ Aug 21 2008, 03:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

HUH???

#7 Capt Worley PE

Capt Worley PE

Run silent, run deep

• Charter Member
  • 24,286 posts
  • Discipline:Mechanical

Posted 29 October 2008 - 12:14 PM

Remember the lunch comments on the other board that got so many banned?

#8 VTEnviro

VTEnviro

His Memory Eternal

• Retired ADMIN
  • 1,024,469 posts
  • Discipline:Sorely Lacking

Posted 29 October 2008 - 01:12 PM

I've got an idea.

#9 cement

cement

In a meeting

• EB Supporting Member