Photo

how many hours do you work

109 replies to this topic

Poll: weekly working hours (typ) (306 member(s) have cast votes)

what do you put in?

1. 0-10 (4 votes [1.31%])

Percentage of vote: 1.31%

2. 11-20 (4 votes [1.31%])

Percentage of vote: 1.31%

3. 21-30 (3 votes [0.98%])

Percentage of vote: 0.98%

4. 31-40 (72 votes [23.53%])

Percentage of vote: 23.53%

5. 41-50 (167 votes [54.58%])

Percentage of vote: 54.58%

6. 51-60 (34 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

7. 61-70 (13 votes [4.25%])

Percentage of vote: 4.25%

8. 71-80 (6 votes [1.96%])

Percentage of vote: 1.96%

9. 81-90 (1 votes [0.33%])

Percentage of vote: 0.33%

10. 91-100 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

11. I'm insane (2 votes [0.65%])

Percentage of vote: 0.65%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#51 mizzoueng

mizzoueng

Hop Addict

• EB Supporting Member
  • 785 posts
  • Discipline:Mechanical

Posted 07 April 2010 - 07:12 PM

<---- has 2 car payments, 1 kid, lots of student loans, house, toys and could get by on my salary if I had a 3% raise. I only make a little over 60K too.

#52 Guest_rppearso_*

Guest_rppearso_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2010 - 06:07 PM

What kind of toys have you all been able to buy? I bought a zelda video game lol. Of course I have been paying out for all the PE books, exam fees and my continuing education class as well as making balloon payments on my student loans to pay off 23k in the last year.

#53 Supe

Supe

P90-Death

• Veterans
  • 9,431 posts
  • Discipline:Sorely Lacking

Posted 08 April 2010 - 06:26 PM

At the time, a new race motor for my drag car, some high-end components to build my new speakers, new TV, some furniture, etc etc.

#54 Guest_Dexman PE_*

Guest_Dexman PE_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2010 - 06:37 PM

QUOTE (rppearso @ Apr 8 2010, 12:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What kind of toys have you all been able to buy?

A boob job for my wife, a trip to Vegas in June, a new custom dual monitor computer...

Or are you talking for the kids? In that case, pretty much anything they ask for (we COULD buy them, but usually don't unless they earn it).

#55 Bean PE

Bean PE

Principal in Charge

• 263 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 08:56 PM

I'm at work 40 a week, no more no less, though there will probably be some OT (at time and a half) over the summer. After being abused at my last job (minimum 55 hours, frequent Saturdays, occasional Sundays with the promise of a huge bonus that never happened) I won't work for free again, though if I got paid the fatty money I'd consider a few extra hours here and there.

#56 ChemORME

ChemORME

Project Engineer

• 51 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 08:58 PM

QUOTE (Dexman PE @ Feb 4 2010, 10:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Paid for 40, no exceptions.

I work as many hours as needed to complete the work. Some weeks:35hrs, other weeks 60+, but I average 40-45. The office manager doesn't really care as long as 1. the work is done on time/under budget and 2. we average 40 hours. He understands that working 9-5 limits people's ability to get some personal business done (like going to the bank, dentist/doctor visits, etc), and as long as you make-up the time within a week or so, it's all good.

+1 Basically "get the job done" - may mean I'm in all weekend, but the next week I'm off two days...it all balances.

#57 engineergurl

engineergurl

Resident Sweet Cheeks

• Charter Member
  • 13,691 posts
  • Discipline:Engineering Groupie

Posted 05 June 2010 - 11:25 PM

Work usually between 40 and 50 hours a week
Actually work between 40 and 50 hours a week
I get paid for 40, no overtime, no comp time, no flex time and no benefits except 160 hours off each year weather it is sick time, time for an appointment or vacation time... it's all just leave time...

I do get my miles check on a monthly basis for using my personal truck for work, but do not get compensated for the use of my personal cell phone. I also am responsible for providing my own PPE except the first hard hat that was issued to me when I started and the majority of my office supplies are ones I've purchased myself except the computer and a field notebook.

Watercooler talk is frowned upon and if it's a problem it could cost you your position so that actually doesn't happen much, most websites are blocked from our computers so other then checking a bank balance and the weather there is no "wasting time" there. If you are not working by 7:30 am and have logged off you computer before 4:00 then it's usually noted and something will be said. I expect that eventually people will start being scrutinized for the use of smart phones, so I've been limiting my facebook posts and txt messages during the day to head that one off.

Chit-chat does occur on job-sites but usually as we are walking and preforming inspections... and usually is about hunting and fishing or peoples families and how they are doing.

We manage two house payments, two sets of utilities, one very high car payment (gotta keep those loans to less then 36 months!), my student loans, constant renovations on the houses and some months it is tight... we also both commute a total of about 60 miles a day each (round trip) and hence spend quite a bit on gas (personally I put in about $60 every three or four days, but am using the truck for work too)... we don't go out a lot, but do manage to fly home about once a year as a vacation and are able to purchase nice things if we plan for them and very rarely use the credit cards unless it's an emergency. Both our incomes total less then $100k so I don't think we are doing all that bad.

#58 Supe

Supe

P90-Death

• Veterans
  • 9,431 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 11:04 AM

QUOTE (engineergurl @ Jun 5 2010, 07:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I get paid for 40, no overtime, no comp time, no flex time and no benefits except 160 hours off each year weather it is sick time, time for an appointment or vacation time... it's all just leave time...

I do get my miles check on a monthly basis for using my personal truck for work, but do not get compensated for the use of my personal cell phone. I also am responsible for providing my own PPE except the first hard hat that was issued to me when I started and the majority of my office supplies are ones I've purchased myself except the computer and a field notebook.

Watercooler talk is frowned upon and if it's a problem it could cost you your position so that actually doesn't happen much, most websites are blocked from our computers so other then checking a bank balance and the weather there is no "wasting time" there. If you are not working by 7:30 am and have logged off you computer before 4:00 then it's usually noted and something will be said. I expect that eventually people will start being scrutinized for the use of smart phones, so I've been limiting my facebook posts and txt messages during the day to head that one off.

Chit-chat does occur on job-sites but usually as we are walking and preforming inspections... and usually is about hunting and fishing or peoples families and how they are doing.

We manage two house payments, two sets of utilities, one very high car payment (gotta keep those loans to less then 36 months!), my student loans, constant renovations on the houses and some months it is tight... we also both commute a total of about 60 miles a day each (round trip) and hence spend quite a bit on gas (personally I put in about $60 every three or four days, but am using the truck for work too)... we don't go out a lot, but do manage to fly home about once a year as a vacation and are able to purchase nice things if we plan for them and very rarely use the credit cards unless it's an emergency. Both our incomes total less then $100k so I don't think we are doing all that bad.

Is your supervisor's name Adolf?

#59 engineergurl

engineergurl

Resident Sweet Cheeks

• Charter Member
  • 13,691 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 09:56 PM

QUOTE (Supe @ Jun 7 2010, 07:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is your supervisor's name Adolf?

I guess when I take a step back and look at that, it does seem kinda stinky, huh? But it is work... We do usually get our "59's" for holiday weekends... something to look forward to!

#60 TBSS

TBSS

Project Manager

• 100 posts
  • Discipline:Electrical

Posted 01 July 2010 - 01:12 PM

QUOTE (ChemORME @ Jun 5 2010, 04:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Dexman PE @ Feb 4 2010, 10:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Paid for 40, no exceptions.

I work as many hours as needed to complete the work. Some weeks:35hrs, other weeks 60+, but I average 40-45. The office manager doesn't really care as long as 1. the work is done on time/under budget and 2. we average 40 hours. He understands that working 9-5 limits people's ability to get some personal business done (like going to the bank, dentist/doctor visits, etc), and as long as you make-up the time within a week or so, it's all good.

+1 Basically "get the job done" - may mean I'm in all weekend, but the next week I'm off two days...it all balances.

Same for me except that I am not allowed to put in less than 40 without using vacation time. I'm also not allowed to put in less than 8 per day without using vacation time. No flex time here. Anything over 40 hours does not earn extra pay, flex time, recgonition, anything. The best is when I work 4-10's and need to leave early the 5th day and have to use vacation to cover the hours for that day. So, if I work 7 hours that 5th day I need to use 1 hour vacation even though I've already worked 47 hours that week.

Yes, I know, I'm a moron. With twins, daycare, mortgage, car payments, etc... I just haven't had the courage to get my ass out of here.

#61 jeb6294

jeb6294

Chief Engineer

• Charter Member
  • 1,315 posts
  • Discipline:Civil

Posted 12 July 2010 - 12:32 PM

Now that I am in Afghanistan my work week is officially 65 hours:
Saturday to Thursday => 0700 - 1730
Fridays (Afghans weekend) => 0800 - 1300
So we get a minimum of 25 hours of OT per week. I've only been here for a couple days so that's what I'm doing right now but once I start getting a little settled in then I hear it's not unusual to get more than that. We're in the middle of Afghanistan, what else are we gonna do?

#62 ironman

ironman

Dope

• 128 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 08:16 PM

QUOTE (engineergurl @ Jun 5 2010, 05:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Unless you are in the uber high 6 figure range for your salery positon (like 150-160k +) I would get your debt paid off and sell your house and move in with parent and quit and look for a new job, a job like that will litterally kill you over a career. If I had a job like that I would not even wait until I have another job lined up, as long as I had a plan to bring my bills to nearly 0 and build a small savings I would be gone. I remember my very first job was like this and someone came and talked to me for checking my yahoo email, I made it there 2 months and had another job a week later.

Edited by ironman, 13 July 2010 - 08:20 PM.

#63 blaxabbath

blaxabbath

Intern

• EB.com member
  • 5 posts
  • Discipline:Construction

Posted 13 July 2010 - 10:15 PM

QUOTE (jeb6294 @ Jul 12 2010, 05:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So we get a minimum of 25 hours of OT per week. I've only been here for a couple days so that's what I'm doing right now but once I start getting a little settled in then I hear it's not unusual to get more than that. We're in the middle of Afghanistan, what else are we gonna do?

What are you doing out in Afghanistan, if I may ask? I was HUMINT over there in 04-05, got my EIT, and have since started working for a contractor as a project engineer. I like the work but not the company but the job market is tough so I'm considering heading back for some of those infamous contractor salaries that can be picked up in AF.

#64 jeb6294

jeb6294

Chief Engineer

• Charter Member
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 05:04 AM

QUOTE (blaxabbath @ Jul 14 2010, 02:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (jeb6294 @ Jul 12 2010, 05:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What are you doing out in Afghanistan, if I may ask? I was HUMINT over there in 04-05, got my EIT, and have since started working for a contractor as a project engineer. I like the work but not the company but the job market is tough so I'm considering heading back for some of those infamous contractor salaries that can be picked up in AF.

I am a Project Engineer with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers at Bagram AF. There were a few guys that came through the training with me who came over as Schedule A's (from what I got, contractors working for the USACE) who seem to like it.

#65 Roy T.

Roy T.

Project Engineer

• 98 posts
  • Discipline:Structural

Posted 11 November 2010 - 12:03 AM

QUOTE (ironman @ Jul 13 2010, 09:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Unless you are in the uber high 6 figure range for your salery positon (like 150-160k +) I would get your debt paid off and sell your house and move in with parent and quit and look for a new job, a job like that will litterally kill you over a career. If I had a job like that I would not even wait until I have another job lined up, as long as I had a plan to bring my bills to nearly 0 and build a small savings I would be gone. I remember my very first job was like this and someone came and talked to me for checking my yahoo email, I made it there 2 months and had another job a week later.

good lord that is brutal. sounds like a concentration camp. agreed completely, if that were my only option - i'd bag groceries for a living and walk away from the loans. life is short man.

#66 EDISON_NY

EDISON_NY

“You're analog players in a digital world"

• 90 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 06:14 PM

average : 60 hours / week brickwall.gif

#67 geypo

geypo

Intern

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 10:06 PM

my average work hours is 50 hrs/wk with some flexibility.

#68 wilheldp_PE

wilheldp_PE

PE, LEED AP, SPAM KING

• Veterans
  • 9,237 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 10:57 PM

I question the results of this poll because no one has yet admitted to being insane.

#69 FLBuff PE

FLBuff PE

Multi-disciplinary engineer

• Veteran
  • 10,335 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, skiing, homebrew, cooking

Posted 09 March 2011 - 11:15 PM

We're here, aren't we?

#70 Supe

Supe

P90-Death

• Veterans
  • 9,431 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 01:56 AM

Definitely going to be in the 60+ category for a while.

#71 GroesbeckEE

GroesbeckEE

Project Engineer

• 73 posts
  • Interests:Beer, wine, coffee, tea, ethnic food, politics, horror/comedy movies, and sleeping.

Posted 12 March 2011 - 03:31 AM

QUOTE (Roy T. @ Nov 10 2010, 07:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

good lord that is brutal. sounds like a concentration camp. agreed completely, if that were my only option - i'd bag groceries for a living and walk away from the loans. life is short man.

Couldn't agree more. Doing the math on a 55 hour week (which many more people are saying they work regularly), supposing an hour lunch and hour dinner means that the work day would be 8-9 M-F, or the standard 8-5 with no weekend. Family, friends and health all take a back seat when folks are working those hours and even if you make the big bucks you'll be in the grave from Karoshi before you can enjoy retirement. Life is indeed too short and I've never heard an old-timer lamenting that they didn't work enough in their youth.

#72 engineergurl

engineergurl

Resident Sweet Cheeks

• Charter Member
  • 13,691 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 04:57 AM

QUOTE (GroesbeckEE @ Mar 11 2011, 10:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Couldn't agree more. Doing the math on a 55 hour week (which many more people are saying they work regularly), supposing an hour lunch and hour dinner means that the work day would be 8-9 M-F, or the standard 8-5 with no weekend. Family, friends and health all take a back seat when folks are working those hours and even if you make the big bucks you'll be in the grave from Karoshi before you can enjoy retirement. Life is indeed too short and I've never heard an old-timer lamenting that they didn't work enough in their youth.

Not all govt jobs are fun... BRAC has a deadline and maybe we will rest after...I guess if I could re-take the poll things have changed... since I got the promotion... I leave work at 4 just so i can take the dogs out (we got a 45 min commute to our house from where we work)... get back to work by 5:30 and have been working until 10 or so. The hubby has been great by cooking dinners and doing chores around the house, but I am slightly worried as he is leaving for Drill Sgt school in a week or so... I am hopeful that they will hire someone to replace me or one of the other people that have left cause i'm still doing my old job while doing my new job and covering for the inspector they got rid of about a week before my promotion... but until then I will keep on keeping on.... as long as we can juggle the two houses and the bills i will work until i drop. But... let us serve as a reminder... military familys don't skate on ice... and no i am not even near the 6 figure range... like i said, combined income for an E-6 Army and mine... we are under 100k...

Edit: i work 7:30 to 4:00 and usually work thru lunch to get things done, but we are alloted 30 min

#73 GroesbeckEE

GroesbeckEE

Project Engineer

• 73 posts
  • Interests:Beer, wine, coffee, tea, ethnic food, politics, horror/comedy movies, and sleeping.

Posted 12 March 2011 - 01:37 PM

QUOTE (engineergurl @ Mar 11 2011, 11:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (GroesbeckEE @ Mar 11 2011, 10:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not all govt jobs are fun... BRAC has a deadline and maybe we will rest after...I guess if I could re-take the poll things have changed... since I got the promotion... I leave work at 4 just so i can take the dogs out (we got a 45 min commute to our house from where we work)... get back to work by 5:30 and have been working until 10 or so. The hubby has been great by cooking dinners and doing chores around the house, but I am slightly worried as he is leaving for Drill Sgt school in a week or so... I am hopeful that they will hire someone to replace me or one of the other people that have left cause i'm still doing my old job while doing my new job and covering for the inspector they got rid of about a week before my promotion... but until then I will keep on keeping on.... as long as we can juggle the two houses and the bills i will work until i drop. But... let us serve as a reminder... military familys don't skate on ice... and no i am not even near the 6 figure range... like i said, combined income for an E-6 Army and mine... we are under 100k...

Edit: i work 7:30 to 4:00 and usually work thru lunch to get things done, but we are alloted 30 min

All that would break me, and in under one year I might add. Longer hours aren't bad for short periods of time, but the little things (no reading the news at lunch, flex time, micromanagement, etc.) would bother me to no end. I hope that things work out for you as your work situation is the very definition of roughing it.

#74 jeb6294

jeb6294

Chief Engineer

• Charter Member
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 04:56 AM

There's no way you could hack it over here then...

0630 - 1800 Saturday thru Thursday
0700 - 1200 Friday (our one "off" day)
That is 24/7, 365 (except our 4 holidays during the year and 3 2-week R&R's)

#75 engineergurl

engineergurl

Resident Sweet Cheeks

• Charter Member
  • 13,691 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 03:17 AM

I am still going... WOOT!

Put in 72 hours this week, and I am done. All I gotta do is get through Septemember... we are counting down the TIME!!!

#76 GroesbeckEE

GroesbeckEE

Project Engineer

• 73 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 05:56 AM

QUOTE (jeb6294 @ Mar 14 2011, 12:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There's no way you could hack it over here then...

0630 - 1800 Saturday thru Thursday
0700 - 1200 Friday (our one "off" day)
That is 24/7, 365 (except our 4 holidays during the year and 3 2-week R&R's)

I would argue to what end...Surely, there is more to life than work, but to each his own. As for not hacking it, you're right, but the difference is that I would never attempt hours like that in the first place. Anyway, I'm still amazed at those who have that kind of dedication and work ethic: I salute you. Seeing it is you are from Cincinnati as well, you must be one of those St. Xavier boys :-). We've been trying to match them for years (Lasalle grad myself).

#77 jeb6294

jeb6294

Chief Engineer

• Charter Member
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 09:12 AM

To the end that my last bi-weekly paycheck hit five figures...makes for a long day, but they pay us well to be 8,000 miles from home. I actually went to school out in the stix, Clermont Northeastern, probably never heard of it.

#78 GroesbeckEE

GroesbeckEE

Project Engineer

• 73 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 04:46 PM

QUOTE (jeb6294 @ Mar 20 2011, 05:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
To the end that my last bi-weekly paycheck hit five figures...makes for a long day, but they pay us well to be 8,000 miles from home. I actually went to school out in the stix, Clermont Northeastern, probably never heard of it.

Nice! That is a whopper of a paycheck. Actually, I have heard of CNE. They had a high-jumper that was incredible (6'7" PR). His name was Cutler, I think.

#79 wilheldp_PE

wilheldp_PE

PE, LEED AP, SPAM KING

• Veterans
  • 9,237 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 07:14 PM

Goesbeck, if you haven't figured it out yet, jeb is serving as a civilian in the desert somewhere (Afghanistan, I think). If he wasn't working those hours, it's not like he'd be spending quality time with his family.

#80 jeb6294

jeb6294

Chief Engineer

• Charter Member
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 08:30 AM

QUOTE (wilheldp_PE @ Mar 20 2011, 11:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Goesbeck, if you haven't figured it out yet, jeb is serving as a civilian in the desert somewhere (Afghanistan, I think). If he wasn't working those hours, it's not like he'd be spending quality time with his family.

Yep, Bagram, Afghanistan since beginning of July and going to the middle of July. So for the record, come July, I'll be back to a regular 40-hour work week and a normal paycheck again.

Sounds like they are in need of Project Engineers over here if anyone is interested. You can always come over as a Schedule A (contractor working for the Corps) so you don't necessarily have to be a USACE employee

#81 James3AE

James3AE

Intern

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 03:11 PM

probably close to 45 hours a week, though i try to keep it at 40. I have a 2 hour commute on either end of the work day. I'd be willing to do more OT (when it's available) if i didn't have that to contend with.

#82 PsychoNumber1

PsychoNumber1

Awesome

• 126 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 02:30 AM

ever since furloughs ended in CA, i've been consistent with the 40 hr work week.

#83 willsee

willsee

Chief Engineer

• Veteran
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 12:14 PM

40-60
Just depends on deadlines and what's going on

#84 Peter Gibbons

Peter Gibbons

Intern

• 18 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 07:28 PM

I'd say in a given week I probably only do about fifteen minutes of real, actual, work.

#85 Dexman PE

Dexman PE

Evil and Most Likely to be Arrested

• Moderators
  • 17,626 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 07:58 PM

With the current job, I hold steady in the 40-45 hour/week range. Its nice being able to "walk away" from the job once I shut things down for the day.

#86 pbrme

pbrme

You look like I...

• Supporting Member
  • 8,428 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 05:40 PM

My first gig out of college (6+ yrs) was salary w/ ot & beni's/bonus, pretty close to national rates. This eventually turned into salary exempt, and I'd average 40+ hours in an attempt to appear valuable. Looking back, this felt like a ratrace.

Now I'm a contract engineer, I get pad for the hours I work and none for holidays/sick/vaca etc. no 401k, no insurance, no bonus. One flat rate for the hours I put in a normal 40, and OT gets paid if approved. This is nice for me, and feels more chill. In my case, I figure what all the $-extras-$ are worth to compare it to the previous level of compensation I'm used to. Avg work wk = 35hrs, bi-weekly pay, 8-9's and an 8 schedule, which gives me everyother friday off.

As was said earlier, "to each their own" and this works for me.

#87 BakerEngine

BakerEngine

Intern

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 09:21 AM

31 to 40 fits me perfectly !!!

#88 Jacob_PE

Jacob_PE

Principal in Charge

• 207 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 11:36 PM

QUOTE (BakerEngine @ Aug 17 2011, 04:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
31 to 40 fits me perfectly !!!

I'm a 40 - 45 hours a week salary guy. When I pass the October exam and get my PE raise I'm going to shoot for a consistent 50 so that projects with my name attached will have gotten a bit more attention.

#89 tmacier

tmacier

Project Manager

• 148 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 09:12 AM

I think that the hours ones spends working may be dependent on where they are in life.
In my 20's and early 30's I was very focused on my career doing whatevery it took to get the job done.
10-12 hour days, weekends, holidays, ect...... It was very rewarding to complete these projects and I enjoyed being viewed as a person "who made it happen".
I had my first child at 36 and second at 38, I can't get home from work fast enough now to spend time with them.
I find myself in the office for a strict eight unless something crazy is going on.
I do some work at home, either from my cell of my computer.
I am not a number crunching engineer and my time is rarely billable, I just make schedules and work to anticipate were the tight spots are.

To the kid about income and living: I found in life if you make 50 grand, you spend it but make it work - if you make 100 grand, you spend it and make it work - if you make 150 grand, you spend it and make it work....... enjoy where you are in life and dont become consumed on where you are not.

Good luck

Tim

#90 engineergurl

engineergurl

Resident Sweet Cheeks

• Charter Member
  • 13,691 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:57 PM

figured I would at least post an update... I'm down to 40 hours, mostly office work, have a very relaxing pace and now that the stress level is down in the office, so are most of the restrictions... although, now we are all having to justify our positions with budget cuts, it's still good....

#91 aneesu786

aneesu786

Mechanical Engineer

• 109 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 03:11 AM

too many

#92 Boomer01 PE

Boomer01 PE

Boomer Sooner!

• 173 posts
  • Discipline:Transportation

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:12 PM

I work at a small consulting firm. There isn't much stress and everyone is laid back. We all work exactly 40 hours/week. We work 9 hour days M-Thur and get off at noon on Friday. I'm pretty fortunate.
  • knight1fox3 likes this

#93 ventilator

ventilator

Principal in Charge

• 247 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 01:00 PM

We work by billable hours so when there are a lot of jobs going on I can be working 50-60 a week. During those times 95% of that time is actual work, 5% BS to keep sane.
When things slow down and not a lot of jobs going on they let us bill 40 hours even though prob. only 20 hours is actual work. During these times though it is kind of understood that if you have to work late one week because a job comes in or you get a call out you still don't bill over 40 as a courtesy thing.

Overall I can usually handle all my work in 40-45 hours, usually only bill 40.

#94 Calvin Mortley

Calvin Mortley

Intern

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 02:11 PM

I work as many hours a week as it takes to get the jobs done. If it's 40 hours or 80 hours

#95 jeb6294

jeb6294

Chief Engineer

• Charter Member
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 12:39 PM

I work as many hours a week as it takes to get the jobs done. If it's 40 hours or 80 hours

Somebody's boss must have joined the board....

#96 Jaylaw_PE

Jaylaw_PE

Project Engineer

• 50 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 01:48 PM

I'm at work 40 a week, no more no less, though there will probably be some OT (at time and a half) over the summer. After being abused at my last job (minimum 55 hours, frequent Saturdays, occasional Sundays with the promise of a huge bonus that never happened) I won't work for free again, though if I got paid the fatty money I'd consider a few extra hours here and there.

Did you work at my old company? haha.

I just quit a job in chicago where i did that. i worked 55-60 hours a week on average (in the summer more like 70). I had a HORRIBLE base salary, and i was promised bonuses at the end of each year. the first year i got a small one, the second year i got a BIG one, and then in year 3, 4 and 5, ZIP.

thats when i bailed. my wife got a great job offer in KC and we went for it. Happened to coincide with both of us finishing grad school and now im working a job that is 40 hours and pays me even a bit more than i made the year i got the huge bonus. only been here a couple weeks, but so far so good.

#97 Jayman_PE

Jayman_PE

Quid pro quo

• 271 posts
  • Interests:Bicycling, running, outdoors.

Posted 08 September 2012 - 01:57 AM

How many hours you work? 70-80 hrs/week
How many hours do you really work? 70-80 hrs/week
For how many hours do you get paid? Salaried. But it's made up for when bonus time crops up.

Edited by Jayman_PE, 08 September 2012 - 01:57 AM.

#98 JoeBoone82

JoeBoone82

Project Manager

• 127 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 05:56 PM

For how many hours do you get paid? Salaried. But it's made up for when bonus time crops up.

Jayman, this brings up what should become another poll. How many people get paid overtime and/or get bonuses. Younger engineers here get their straight hourly pay for anything over 40. A couple of years licensure, on average, is when you get to the level on the career ladder where there is no longer any overtime pay. Just salary, and work as much as needed to get the projects finished. I currently still get straight time for my overtime hours, not sure if they are related in some way, but I've also never seen a bonus check or anything like that. Maybe when they take away the overtime pay, a portion of that comes back at the end of the year in some type of bonus.

What about you all?

#99 mizzoueng

mizzoueng

Hop Addict

• EB Supporting Member
  • 785 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 01:23 AM

Since the last time I posted on here, I am in the office again, but the hours have been cranked up. In my last performance review I asked for more responsibility and to be put on some design projects in an assistant or lead mechanical role. I got my wish, since the start of the year I am the lead engineer on a 2MW back pressure turbine project and the assistant on a dual 650,000 lb/hr deaerator project. I have Ben putting in 60+ hour weeks, not really charging OT, trying to maintain budget.

#100 rrui00

rrui00

Intern

• 37 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:54 AM

Around 42

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

=