96 replies to this topic

#1 Dleg

Dleg

Veteran

• EB Supporting Member
  • 14,511 posts
  • Discipline:Enviro

Posted 30 October 2007 - 06:14 AM

If you're new to EB and you're an environmental engineer, give us a shout here and introduce yourselves. The environmental section has been kind of lonely so far....

#2 Guest_pe-enviro_*

Guest_pe-enviro_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2007 - 04:06 PM

I haven't heard anything on the forum about the Environmental PE exam...whether it was easy, tough, reasonable...any comments!! I thought most of the numerical questions were quite straightforward (or at least thats what I assumed!!!!) but I'm not so sure about some of the qualitative questions, especially the ones relating to regulations, some were really strange.

Hoping that some of the guesses work my way and I can scrap through with a 70..we'll see!!!

#3 testee

testee

supporting role

• 259 posts
  • Interests:hanging out
  • Discipline:Water Resources

Posted 30 October 2007 - 05:24 PM

well, I took CE/WR, but I consider myself pretty environmentally concious.

#4 Dleg

Dleg

Veteran

• EB Supporting Member
  • 14,511 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 10:04 PM

Welcome pe-enviro! That's how I felt about the Oct. 06 exam. I passed, so maybe that's a good sign for you!

Testee, didn't I see you posting over on "the other board"? Welcome! Where's your friend?

#5 testee

testee

supporting role

• 259 posts
  • Interests:hanging out

Posted 31 October 2007 - 03:42 AM

QUOTE (Dleg @ Oct 30 2007, 04:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Welcome pe-enviro! That's how I felt about the Oct. 06 exam. I passed, so maybe that's a good sign for you!

Testee, didn't I see you posting over on "the other board"? Welcome! Where's your friend?

Thanks, yes that's me.

My friend? I have not seen him either. I'm thinking he went "turtle".

#6 Guest_pe-enviro_*

Guest_pe-enviro_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2007 - 04:29 PM

QUOTE (Testee @ Oct 30 2007, 01:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
well, I took CE/WR, but I consider myself pretty environmentally concious.

Wow..I still don't see any posts on the Oct '07 Enviro exam....either very few people took it or it was just too easy for the people who took it, and not worth commenting!!! rolleyes.gif

#7 jregieng

jregieng

Ninjaneer !!!

• Moderators
  • 11,827 posts
  • Discipline:Sorely Lacking

Posted 02 November 2007 - 04:43 PM

^^^ There are very few people who take the outright Environmental PE Exam. I am not really sure why that is the case but if it is not the case we haven't been able to tap into that market.

For me, my graduate work was in civil geotechnical so I had enough diversity by way of education and experience to take the civil exam. Maybe others feel the same way? dunno.gif

Anyways, don't let the lack of posts discourage you! What we lack in numbers we make up for in character! smile.gif bananalama.gif

JR

#8 VTEnviro

VTEnviro

His Memory Eternal

• Retired ADMIN
  • 1,024,469 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 04:44 PM

I took it in April 2006. I don't remember much about the actual exam. But as far as my test prep went, I thought the regulatory qualitative stuff was generally worse than the quantitative.

Most of the quantitative stuff is pretty empirical and formulaic. Just nod your head and plug the numbers in.

Anytime I saw: "According to 40 CFR 123, the definition of XXX is ...." I wanted to scream.

The full envl exam has a morning breadth section followed by an afternoon double breadth section it seems.

#9 Guest_CVA07_*

Guest_CVA07_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2007 - 07:21 PM

I took the Oct 07 Environmental Exam....I guess there isn't really much to say...this was my second time taking it, so the format, etc. was not particularly surprising. Some ?'s almost seemed ridiciously easy, and some I don't think I could've figured out if I had all day. It is kind of difficult to talk about the Env. Exam without getting into too much detail. Based on the 2 exams I took, and what I have heard from others, it seems like (in the afternoon at least) they kind of pick one topic and relate several questions to that topic, regardless of the question category is supposed to be. So you REALLY have to understand what the question is asking you to do. To me, it seems like 9 times out of 10, the question reads a lot more complicated than what you really have to do to solve it. At least that is what I assumed. We'll see if this is correct in a couple months!

#10 Dleg

Dleg

Veteran

• EB Supporting Member
  • 14,511 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 12:46 AM

Good luck and welcome CVA07!

#11 jregieng

jregieng

Ninjaneer !!!

• Moderators
  • 11,827 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 01:33 AM

Welcome CVA07 and best of luck on your second try!!

JR

#12 FLBuff PE

FLBuff PE

Multi-disciplinary engineer

• Veteran
  • 10,333 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, skiing, homebrew, cooking

Posted 09 November 2007 - 08:47 PM

I am in the same boat as CVA07...second time through the wringer. I did not have as much time to study as I would have liked, but I went in with a 'Let's see how I do this time' attitude. I took the exam the first time in Denver with about 1,000 people in the room, and I think my test taking anxiety took over. This time I took it in a smaller venue (Grand Junction), and did not feel like my brain was an empty sponge. I felt more confident this time, but like CAV07, we shall see! Only 10 more weeks...WOO HOO.

#13 Dleg

Dleg

Veteran

• EB Supporting Member
  • 14,511 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 11:39 PM

^^Good luck!

1,000 people taking the exam at the same time?? Are you serious??

#14 Guest_l435_*

Guest_l435_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 November 2007 - 10:40 PM

Hi 'pe-enviro'

I took the enviro exam in oct 2007 from columbus ohio ..... u r right some questions seemed very easy ... but NCEES review materials shows that questions which seems very very easy are not actually easy .... there is a trick involved ..... I hope we are correct.

lot of questions on partition of organic stuff in soil .... did not know much i guessed there...

qualitative questions ... some were straight forward ... but some were waste of time as only knowledge of the area will answer those questions...

peace

#15 Guest_l435_*

Guest_l435_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 November 2007 - 10:42 PM

hi CVA07,

second time here buddy .... took it first in oct 2006 .... did not study much ... guessed a lot .... but this time better .....

i thought morning half was easier than afternoon half ... any takers ???

#16 FLBuff PE

FLBuff PE

• Veteran
  • 10,333 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 09:58 PM

QUOTE (l435 @ Nov 13 2007, 03:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hi CVA07,

second time here buddy .... took it first in oct 2006 .... did not study much ... guessed a lot .... but this time better .....

i thought morning half was easier than afternoon half ... any takers ???

I agree...the afternoon seemed more difficult. I made more guesses on the afternoon than I would have liked. I may have exaggerated a little on the number of people taking the exam my first time...it just felt like about 1,000 people. Most Coloradans take the exam in Denver. Good luck to all! mail-296.gif

#17 Guest_CVA07_*

Guest_CVA07_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2007 - 02:42 PM

I don't remember much about the a.m. portion...I do remember thinking there seemed to be a lot more water treatment questions than wastewater. I am not familiar with much of the Industrial Hygiene stuff, and I think they write out the remediation questions a lot harder than they need to be for practical use, so I did find the afternoon part pretty tricky.

#18 Guest_pe-enviro_*

Guest_pe-enviro_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2007 - 08:31 PM

I found this info on the Nevada Board of Engrs and Surveyors webpage

"You will need approximately of 45 to 50 of the 80 points to pass the exams ( the passing raw scores vary on all exams ). The passing raw score is scaled or converted to a score of 70. Your total score will be a combination of both morning and afternoon answers, therefore, attendance at both sessions is required."

http://boe.state.nv....E_Exam_Info.htm

That translates to between 57 and 63 out of 100 for the Enviro exam thankyou.gif !!! These numbers seem to be a bit off the mark though....lower that what most people wld expect???

#19 VTEnviro

VTEnviro

His Memory Eternal

• Retired ADMIN
  • 1,024,469 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 09:51 PM

I got no clue what my score was, all I know was it was enough to pass.

#20 Guest_CVA07_*

Guest_CVA07_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2007 - 02:57 PM

I think from my diagnostic last year I had a 57 (and didn't pass), so whatever that means...

#21 Guest_fmullner_*

Guest_fmullner_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2007 - 10:32 PM

Hey, just found the board and just joined. I took the Oct 07 Environmental PE exam in Cleveland, OH and I'm still waiting. I'm cautiously optimistic. It's nice to see others who've taken the "real" Env. PE exam. I've been hanging out at the "the other board" board and it seems to be dominated by Civil and Mech E's.

Anyway, it's good to be here. Hopefully I can get some good advice and even offer some of my own.

FWIW, I was really surprised by the exam itself. The morning session seemed to be almost all water which is not my strongest suit. I thought the afternoon was significantly easier. I wasn't exepecting so many regulatory questions, and I will say that the RCRA regulatory reference that I brought was a life-saver. I was also surprised at the number of qualitative questions. There just wasn't as much math as I expected.

The only good piece of advice I got prior to the exam was that the breadth was the real challenge. There are questions that you will not know unless you happen to have the right reference or have worked in the field. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

#22 Dleg

Dleg

Veteran

• EB Supporting Member
  • 14,511 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 12:13 AM

Welcome fmullner! There may not be all that much action in this particular sub-forum, but us enviros are growing in number on the Board as a whole.

I know exactly what you mean on the exam. I took it in Oct. '06 and passed, but there were a number of qualitative questions that I simply had to guess on, and got wrong (based on my after-the-test research). As far as I am concerned, I smoked most of the quantitative questions, which were all simpler than the practice problems.

Good luck!

#23 VTEnviro

VTEnviro

His Memory Eternal

• Retired ADMIN
  • 1,024,469 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 02:35 AM

The only good piece of advice I got prior to the exam was that the breadth was the real challenge.

Welcome aboard dude. Not only am I the worst spammer here, but I also moonlight as an environmental engineer on the side. Well more of a civil with an envl slant, but I digress.

I took the Envl PE exam in April '06. Whoever gave you that advice was dead on. I've been preaching that to anyone who's been listening since then. The breadth of it is really overwhelming.

Hang around and post some. All we got is me, Dleg, and Jregieng representing the envl crowd.

#24 FLBuff PE

FLBuff PE

• Veteran
  • 10,333 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 03:31 PM

QUOTE (VTEnviro @ Dec 11 2007, 07:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Welcome aboard dude. Not only am I the worst spammer here, but I also moonlight as an environmental engineer on the side. Well more of a civil with an envl slant, but I digress.

I took the Envl PE exam in April '06. Whoever gave you that advice was dead on. I've been preaching that to anyone who's been listening since then. The breadth of it is really overwhelming.

Hang around and post some. All we got is me, Dleg, and Jregieng representing the envl crowd.

Dude, I'm here as well. Granted, I'm not a PE yet, but hopefully that will come in the mail in a month!

#25 Guest_fmullner_*

Guest_fmullner_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2007 - 05:06 PM

Hey FLBuff--now that the results are trickling in...GOOD LUCK!

#26 FLBuff PE

FLBuff PE

• Veteran
  • 10,333 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 05:12 PM

QUOTE (fmullner @ Dec 15 2007, 10:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey FLBuff--now that the results are trickling in...GOOD LUCK!

Unfortunately, I will probably not find out un til mid-January...my state (CO) is s...l...o...w. Thanks, though. Good luck to you as well. Did you take the full blown Environmental exam? I did, attempt #2 in Oct. '07.

#27 jritter58

jritter58

Intern

• 44 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 01:17 AM

I work for the Corps in the H&H section, but I do environmental work whenever the chance arises. I am looking to transfer into another section that does Superfund work. I have B.s.s in Chemistry snd Civil and an M.S. in Environmental.

#28 Dleg

Dleg

Veteran

• EB Supporting Member
  • 14,511 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 10:56 PM

Welcome!

Excuse my ignorance, but what is the "H&H" section?

#29 FLBuff PE

FLBuff PE

• Veteran
  • 10,333 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 11:00 PM

Welcome! And ditto about this secret 'H & H' society of which you speak.

#30 jritter58

jritter58

Intern

• 44 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 12:22 AM

Corps speak for Hydraulics and Hydrology. The army loves acronyms.

#31 FLBuff PE

FLBuff PE

• Veteran
  • 10,333 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 04:04 PM

So do those of us in enviro...welcome to eb.com!

#32 craftlady07

craftlady07

Intern

• 38 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 07:55 PM

Hello,
I took the enviro exam in october and failed, time to try again in april. I did not buy any of the practice problem books the first time, i just bought the ncees one, do you think i should get the ones from PPI too?
I've been working for a municipal consulting firm for 7 years in the water/wastewater department. I need major help in the air pollution/haz waste areas.
Thanks,
Andrea

#33 FLBuff PE

FLBuff PE

• Veteran
  • 10,333 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 10:00 PM

Welcome, carfty! I took the Environmental exam for the third time in October, so I feel your pain. My experience was that the PPI problems went above and beyond what was on the exam; however, one can never do too many problems in preparing for the exam! I would recommend getting them. As far as Air, I had zero experience in it, but was able to get through the exam with the EnvERM and the Environmental Law Handbook. For Haz. Waste, I would also recommend going through the EnvERM, and try to find someone that can lend you Hazardous Waste Management by LaGrega. That is pretty much the holy grail on haz. waste. If you can't borrow it, it is worth the investment in buying it, IMHO. It is a great reference to have on your shelf. Good luck in April, and ask lots of questions. There is more than me here in Environmental!

#34 Dleg

Dleg

Veteran

• EB Supporting Member
  • 14,511 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 12:42 AM

^I agree 100%. I would also recommend getting a copy of "Environmental Engineering" by Salvato, et al. It's a great overall reference you will keep with you for the rest of your career, and it has a lot of info on sampling and such which I was able to answer several questions with.

The PPI practice problems are essential, I think, just to guide your studying and make you find stuff in your references. Not to mention the practice for the quantitative problems. Invaluable.

#35 VTEnviro

VTEnviro

His Memory Eternal

• Retired ADMIN
  • 1,024,469 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 01:58 PM

^ I'm doing some Army Corps work right now, I know what you mean. In other words, IDSACWRNIKWYM.

#36 jritter58

jritter58

Intern

• 44 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 01:45 AM

You would fit right in with the Army way of things VT. I have a question for everyone. Things are getting hot at work and I will be working lots of weekends, therefore I will be hard pressed to get as much study time as I would like. Do I gamble and take it anyways or do I wait until Fall? I have maybe 80 hours in so far but I wanted to put in another 150 or so more but that just got shot down today.

#37 Dleg

Dleg

Veteran

• EB Supporting Member
  • 14,511 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 02:51 AM

Do you have a wife and kids? If you don't have anyone to satisfy at home, I say sacrifice and work your butt off to pass in April. It's a huge load off your shoulders to have that exam behind you, and those two initials after your name. It's worth some sacrifice.

I always have an initial reaction like that when I get a bunch of work thrown at me. But in the end, I always find a way to get it all done.

I say go for it.

#38 jritter58

jritter58

Intern

• 44 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 12:35 PM

Yeah, I have a wife with two sons ages 3 and 5. I have a tough row to hoe but I figure what the heck, I can always tak it again if I dont make it.

#39 VTEnviro

VTEnviro

His Memory Eternal

• Retired ADMIN
  • 1,024,469 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 02:20 PM

Check on the re-testing policies in your state. Some require continuing education if you fail multiple times before you can take it again.

It could be one strike against you if you go in half baked and fail it.

I generally say go for it, but you might want to take that into consideration.

#40 EnvEngineer

EnvEngineer

Principal in Charge

• Veteran
  • 448 posts
  • Interests:Knife Making, Mtn and Road Bike
  • Discipline:Civil

Posted 05 March 2009 - 09:49 PM

New to forum, I have a BS in Environmetal and MS in Civil/Enve and been in the field for 28 years. I took/passed the ME about 20 years ago and never worked for a civil engineer to get references until now. They did change the experience requirements which helped alot, I only need 1 of my 28 years. I have been studying for about 9 month, I spend 2-4 hours nearly every day. failing is not an option.

great forum, good luck to everyone

Edited by EnvEngineer, 05 March 2009 - 09:50 PM.

#41 FLBuff PE

FLBuff PE

• Veteran
  • 10,333 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 10:35 PM

Welcome, EnvEngineer! Good luck!

#42 Dleg

Dleg

Veteran

• EB Supporting Member
  • 14,511 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 01:18 AM

Good luck! I took the exam 16 years out of college and passed, using the same "failure is not an option" goal as my motivator. You should do fine.

#43 GTjoy

GTjoy

Project Manager

• 123 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 01:57 AM

QUOTE (Dleg @ Mar 5 2009, 09:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good luck! I took the exam 16 years out of college and passed, using the same "failure is not an option" goal as my motivator. You should do fine.

Good luck to all as well. I think I will take that phrase as an inspiration/fear-instiller now. smile.gif

For a while it has been "I don't want to have to do this again" whenever I got sick of studying.

#44 Baconbit

Baconbit

Intern

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 02:23 AM

Hi Everybody. I am an Environmental Engineer in the energy industry. 6.5 years out of school. Taking the Env Eng PE exam for the first time next month...I'm also currently 4 months pregnant, so I haven't been getting nearly as much studying done as I would like - been so tired. Basically, I'm taking a "do what I can" attitude for this one do the timing...

#45 Dleg

Dleg

Veteran

• EB Supporting Member
  • 14,511 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 03:05 AM

Good luck! I've got nothing in the way of advice for taking the exam pregnant, though, since that is simply impossible for me. But I do know of at least one person here on EB who took the exam at a much later stage in her pregnancy, and passed. You can do it!

#46 FLBuff PE

FLBuff PE

• Veteran
  • 10,333 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 02:59 PM

Welcome, Bacon! Good luck in April...you can do it!

#47 GTjoy

GTjoy

Project Manager

• 123 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 03:04 PM

QUOTE (Baconbit @ Mar 18 2009, 10:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Everybody. I am an Environmental Engineer in the energy industry. 6.5 years out of school. Taking the Env Eng PE exam for the first time next month...I'm also currently 4 months pregnant, so I haven't been getting nearly as much studying done as I would like - been so tired. Basically, I'm taking a "do what I can" attitude for this one do the timing...

Wow, that's a great attitude - most people would not be willing to study and take the exam in that situation. I would struggle with sitting still for an 8 hour exam anyway, and if I was 5 months pregnant, that would just be painful.

Hope the studying, exam, and the pregnancy all go smoothly, and congratulations!

#48 FLBuff PE

FLBuff PE

• Veteran
  • 10,333 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 10:03 PM

bump.gif

#49 joeenv

joeenv

Intern

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 03:19 PM

Hi all,

New to the forum. Just wanted to say thanks for the advice. Just got April 2010 exam results: passed on the first time (Washignton State)

Thanks again1

joeenv

#50 joeenv

joeenv

Intern

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 08:25 PM

Obviously a spelling section wasn't including in the exam!

joeenv

QUOTE (joeenv @ Jun 2 2010, 03:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi all,

New to the forum. Just wanted to say thanks for the advice. Just got April 2010 exam results: passed on the first time (Washignton State)

Thanks again1

joeenv

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

=