NCEES 121

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdd18vm

Reaction score
I dont understand why "since Beta is 100" Ie is approx equal 2mA (which is equal Ic)

John

I dont understand why "since Beta is 100" Ie is approx equal 2mA (which is equal Ic)
John
This is probably more information than you need. You can just asume Ic = Ie.

But, the reason =

a=alpha

b=beta

In a BJT Ic = a*Ie

a = b/(1 + b ) so, if b= 100 a=100/101 = .99

Ic = .99*Ie.

This wouldn't be the case if b were small, say 1. In that case a=1/2, Ic=.5*Ie

Last edited by a moderator:
Benbo will likely have a better explanation of this than I do but I'll give it a shot:

The beta value is the ratio of the base current to the collector current. The emitter current is the sum of the base current and collector current. With a high beta, the emitter current is very close in magnitude to the collector current. The totally scientific answer is that the current through the 1k-ohm resistor will be 1.01 times the value of the collector current.

Let me know if this helps.

Jim

Gotta love answering the questions in parallel.

Also, he did do a better job than I did. :D

Jim

Okay got that, and it makes some sense.

I got confused in EERM 43-18 eq 43.28 B=Ic/Ib. I used that I got Ib=100/2mA and that didnt make sense. Whats the distinction?

Thanks again, this is really helpful.

John

Okay got that, and it makes some sense.
I got confused in EERM 43-18 eq 43.28 B=Ic/Ib. I used that I got Ib=100/2mA and that didnt make sense. Whats the distinction?

Thanks again, this is really helpful.

John
No, thats also true = Ic = b*Ib

Beta is the relationship between the Ib and Ic, alpha is the relaiton between Ic and Ie, and you can derive beta from alpha and vice versa.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back