14 replies to this topic

#1 IlPadrino

IlPadrino

Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,835 posts
  • Discipline:Military Engineer

Posted 04 July 2007 - 07:27 PM

I could really use some RSS feeds for these forums. There are too many different forums (fora?) to pay attention to by browsing the website. Give me an RSS feed and when I see a post I like, I click on the link to visit the site.

Please.

#2 Road Guy

Road Guy

35 years and a wakeup

• Admin
  • 14,673 posts
  • Interests:Yoga Pants, Ski!, SCUBA, Backpacking, Kicking Ass, etc
  • Discipline:Construction

Posted 05 July 2007 - 01:41 PM

That sounds pretty cool, I see where I can import other RSS feeds into one forum, but I donít know how to export our threads into an RSS Feed here?

Do you have a link to another forum that does this so I could take a look and then try and figure out how to do it?

#3 IlPadrino

IlPadrino

Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,835 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 03:16 PM

QUOTE (Road Guy @ Jul 5 2007, 09:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That sounds pretty cool, I see where I can import other RSS feeds into one forum, but I donít know how to export our threads into an RSS Feed here?

Do you have a link to another forum that does this so I could take a look and then try and figure out how to do it?

I can't find any 2.2.x documentation, but the 2.3.x documentation (page 77 for example) talks about the RSS Export management (http://community.ipslink.com/board/files/ipb23docs.pdf). http://www.icefuzion.net seems to have RSS feeds working.

#4 IlPadrino

IlPadrino

Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,835 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 01:16 AM

QUOTE (SapperPE @ Jul 15 2007, 08:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think I may have figured this out. See the RSS Feeds thread that I started, HERE!

Great idea.

Looks good... I even saw some topics I hadn't noticed before. I hope the feed updates with added posts to a topic (instead of just new topics) - we'll see soon enough. Can you expand the length of the post summary or is it a standard?

#5 IlPadrino

IlPadrino

Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,835 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 11:24 PM

QUOTE (SapperPE @ Jul 15 2007, 09:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There are several settings that I can play with. I can have it update based on most recent posts, topic start date, number of views, and some other options. I think on the enything about PE exam one, I put it for the topic start date, and the other two I put it for the most recent post, I figured I would see how it works out for now.

As far as the post summary, I am not sure if I can do much on that. I slected a option that puts the first post of the thread in it, and if I don't have that selected, then I don't think it will display anything but the title. I could do something similar to the link you sent with the posts by the RSS Feed Bot, but I don't like the idea of having to click on and open each one of the topics that it creates. I actually did it and then deleted them all because I didn't like it. I figured the setup that I have right now was the best one, in my opinion.

SapperPE,

It seems that the RSS feed only contains the first post of a topic (i.e. thread) and doesn't update the <item> with new (or the latest, even) post. This makes it hard to "pay attention" to topics. Is there a way that you can include all posts of a topic in the feed? Most RSS aggregrators allow grouping - for example, with RSS comments, I usually group on <title>. What I usually do with this use case is either scan all the posts (<items>) and then decide if I want to ready the entire topic, or decide not to "pay attention" to the topic.

Is this something you can do? I think the bottom line for RSS feeds is to provide as much information as possible and let the aggregator decide how to present the content. By the way, I use Feeddemon as my aggregator.

#6 IlPadrino

IlPadrino

Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,835 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 10:58 PM

QUOTE (SapperPE @ Jul 17 2007, 12:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
IlPadrino: With the settings that are in the Admin CP of this board, I can't show any more than the first post. I will keep playing around with it.

Ouch! That makes it very hard (impossible!) to pay attention. Almost all topics have more than 5 posts.

#7 IlPadrino

IlPadrino

Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,835 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 01:11 AM

Maybe you can try http://forums.invisi...?...8&hl=export which seems to offer all the posts.

#8 Guest_FlyPaper_*

Guest_FlyPaper_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2007 - 07:42 PM

IlPadrino, thanks for the information on this. I have a website as well, I will try to set this up on my board. I don't want to get in any trouble so I won't advertise the URL on this site.

#9 IlPadrino

IlPadrino

Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,835 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 10:08 PM

QUOTE (FlyPaper @ Jul 18 2007, 03:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
IlPadrino, thanks for the information on this. I have a website as well, I will try to set this up on my board. I don't want to get in any trouble so I won't advertise the URL on this site.

What type of forum do you run?

#10 Road Guy

Road Guy

35 years and a wakeup

• Admin
  • 14,673 posts
  • Interests:Yoga Pants, Ski!, SCUBA, Backpacking, Kicking Ass, etc
  • Discipline:Construction

Posted 19 July 2007 - 02:06 AM

DO you have to be a paid invision member for that sap? We are (well I have the account)

I still cant find an example of how it runs on another forum (sorry for being so IT inept)

#11 IlPadrino

IlPadrino

Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,835 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 10:03 AM

QUOTE (SapperPE @ Jul 18 2007, 08:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
IlPadrino: I tried to register on that website so I could download the program, but I guess my DOD server is blocking the confirmation email or something and I have received it yet. Maybe RG, DV, or VTE can download it and we can get it up and running, but I am having no luck being able to log on so that we can get it done. I think as soon as we do that, your problem should be fixed. Thanks for the information on it by the way.

I had no trouble registering and downloading...

If you'd like, I can e-mail you the file.

Scott-

#12 IlPadrino

IlPadrino

Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,835 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 11:40 AM

Roger. Standing by.

Thanks for investing the time on this.

#13 IlPadrino

IlPadrino

Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,835 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 09:06 AM

Any luck in getting this imlemented?

#14 IlPadrino

IlPadrino

Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,835 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 04:48 PM

QUOTE (SapperPE @ Aug 13 2007, 12:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Okay, RSS feeds now will contain the most recent posts not just the first post of the most recently updated thread. However, I will need to do some tweaking, and I have plans to make several Feeds, one for each preparation discipline, one for technical discussions, one for shoot the breeze topics, and one for the entire board. People will be able to choose whichever one they want.

It looks like it's working, but using Newsgator (a web-based aggregator) I can't group by topic to make sure nothing's missing. I'll check as soon as I get home. Thanks again!

#15 IlPadrino

IlPadrino

Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,835 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 11:54 PM

QUOTE (SapperPE @ Aug 14 2007, 06:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
IlPadrino: Is it all good, or do I need to do some tweaking? Let me know. Thanks

All Boards RSS Feed seems to work just fine. It really cuts down the time I spend looking for topics that interest me. I'm not sure how often the feed gets updated but it seems pretty quick.

Again, thanks for pushing to get this done. I hope I'm not the only one that appreciates it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

=