282 replies to this topic

#1 VTEnviro

VTEnviro

His Memory Eternal

• Retired ADMIN
  • 1,024,469 posts
  • Discipline:Sorely Lacking

Posted 04 April 2007 - 03:40 PM

I know a number of people have mentioned they watch this show. Anyone catch the new season last night?

Man did they get off to a slow start. They spent more time in the bar and grocery store than on the water.

#2 cement

cement

In a meeting

• EB Supporting Member
  • 9,604 posts
  • Discipline:Transportation

Posted 04 April 2007 - 04:07 PM

I only caught part of it.
One of the boats sank? wholly crap! I was thinking what a cool summer job that would be for a college kid, now I'd rather he stay at the supermarket.

I liked the fishing science aspect to last night's show. I need to figure out how to catch these strange critters out here now.

#3 VTEnviro

VTEnviro

His Memory Eternal

• Retired ADMIN
  • 1,024,469 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 04:17 PM

The boat that sunk was the Ocean Challenger, which was fishing for cod. It wasn't one of the boats profiled on the show. The thing I like about this show is that it's not a bunch of hyped up daredevils or attention whores. It's a bunch of guys trying to make a living in a risky profession.

The Associated Press

Published: October 20, 2006
Last Modified: October 20, 2006 at 03:09 PM

The parents of a man who survived a capsizing in the North Pacific said their son had been released from a hospital.

Kevin Ferrell, 28, was the only survivor among four crewmen who entered the water Wednesday when the 49-foot, 50-ton Ocean Challenger capsized about 60 miles south of Sand Point, a community off the tip of the Alaska Peninsula.

The bodies of skipper David "Cowboy" Hasselquist, 51, of Hoonah and crewman Walter Foster, 26, of Westport, Wash., were pulled from the water by the Coast Guard.

A search for the missing man, Steve Esparza, 26, of Kodiak, was called off Thursday. He had not been wearing a survival suit, the Coast Guard said.

Ferrell was able to call his mother in Lynchburg, Va., a few hours after his rescue. A Coast Guard rescue swimmer helped hoist him from the water into a helicopter.

"We've talked a couple of times," his mother, Pam Caldwell, told the Lynchburg, Va., News and Advance on Thursday.

Ferrell was the only crewman wearing a survival suit.

"Kevin seems very concerned about the victims' families," his mother said. "He's spending a lot of his time visiting them right now. He's trying to get himself healthy. He's on antibiotics as a precautionary measure. He swallowed some ocean, of course. He was out there for some time."

Caldwell said her son never was in serious condition.

"Those reports were all wrong," she said. "We talked to him four hours after the incident. He was in shock, but he's OK. The hospital let him go last night."

Her son was a whitewater canoeist before moving to Alaska about five years ago.

"He has had all kinds of special rescue classes," she said. "He's very skilled in the water. He knows what he's doing."

The Ocean Challenger had been fishing for black cod near the Sanak Islands and was traveling back to Sand Point when it capsized in high seas. It sent out a mayday to a car carrier, which relayed the emergency message to the Coast Guard.

"There was a car carrier vessel in the area that heard the mayday and circled around him about five times," Caldwell said. "They kind of kept an eye on him until the helicopter got there."

Officials called off the search for Esparza after scouring more than 1,730 square miles in the North Pacific for two days, said Petty Officer Sara Francis.

"The chances of finding someone alive in these kinds of water temperatures after 24 hours is extremely low," Francis said. "After 48 hours, that chance drastically reduces."

She said the water temperature had been 48 degrees.

Officials said they did not know what caused the boat, home-ported in Adak, to capsize and sink. Francis said the Coast Guard was investigating and planned to talk to Ferrell on Friday.

#4 cement

cement

In a meeting

• EB Supporting Member
  • 9,604 posts
  • Discipline:Transportation

Posted 04 April 2007 - 04:25 PM

^^^ it's always smart to gear up properly. he was the only one wearing a survival suit.

#5 GCracker

GCracker

Vice President

• Charter Member
  • 534 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors: Hunting, Fishing, Golf, etc.

Posted 04 April 2007 - 05:04 PM

I watched last night! I love this show.

#6 Fudgey

Fudgey

Master of Disaster

• Veteran
  • 617 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 05:06 PM

I also noticed they spent a long time in the bar. aren't they supposed to be off catching crabs? I dont want any of the crabs you can catch at a bar!

#7 Bigwolf

Bigwolf

Shall I call you Logan, Weapon X???

• Veteran
  • 342 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 05:08 PM

I know a number of people have mentioned they watch this show. Anyone catch the new season last night?

Man did they get off to a slow start. They spent more time in the bar and grocery store than on the water.

That show is awesome---tivo'd it, but haven't had a chance to watch it yet.

The work seems like it would be cool to do for a couple hours, but a couple weeks/months/whatever would be far too long and far too much work.

They always look tired and cold. :Locolaugh:

And then there's the whole possible death factor that goes along with the work.... :joke:

#8 VTEnviro

VTEnviro

His Memory Eternal

• Retired ADMIN
  • 1,024,469 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 05:10 PM

I like when it gets later in the season and the cold, miserable, exhausted deckhands on a boat with shitty luck practically mutiny.

#9 GCracker

GCracker

Vice President

• Charter Member
  • 534 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors: Hunting, Fishing, Golf, etc.

Posted 04 April 2007 - 08:07 PM

I'm trying to talk my wife into letting me go up there for a season to work! I love the ocean, fishing, etc! Rough weather has never bothered me, but I think those 80 foot seas would take some getting used to.

#10 Guest_MetroRAFB_*

Guest_MetroRAFB_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2007 - 08:31 PM

I'm trying to talk my wife into letting me go up there for a season to work! I love the ocean, fishing, etc! Rough weather has never bothered me, but I think those 80 foot seas would take some getting used to.

Not a chance you'd get me on one of those boats. I'd have a serious problem with the fact that if you fall or get pulled overboard, there's about a 99.99% chance that you're dead.

I'm sure the captains are professionals, but I wouldn't let most of the dudes working on those crews shine my shoes. If I'm going into that kind of potential life and death environment, I'm not going with anything less than a well trained military crew and ship.

But that's just me. :joke:

#11 Dleg

Dleg

Veteran

• EB Supporting Member
  • 14,551 posts
  • Discipline:Enviro

Posted 04 April 2007 - 09:28 PM

I love that show, but I haven't caught the new season yet. I didn't even see all of the last season, either. I generally hate "reality shows" because they are anything BUT real. But this show is the exception.

#12 Road Guy

Road Guy

35 years and a wakeup

• Admin
  • 17,319 posts
  • Interests:Yoga Pants, Ski!, SCUBA, Backpacking, Kicking Ass, etc
  • Discipline:Construction

Posted 05 April 2007 - 11:56 AM

I missed the new season premier and the season premier of the shield..

dammit
dammit
dammit

well one thing is you know TLC re-runs the hell out of everything

#13 Desert Engineer

Desert Engineer

Principal in Charge

• 219 posts
  • Discipline:Water Resources

Posted 05 April 2007 - 04:38 PM

dammit
dammit
dammit

You should get tivo...

Once you set the season pass, it will record the show from season to season (as long as it doesnt change names ie survivor 9, survivor 10...), and it will pick up the show if the network changes its time slot. not to forget the ability to skip commercials, and rewind (excellent for ufc, boxing and sports)

#14 Ferg_AR

Ferg_AR

Project Manager

• 146 posts
  • Discipline:Mechanical

Posted 05 April 2007 - 04:59 PM

dammit
dammit
dammit

The Shield! I've never been addicted to a show until that one. You missed a good premiere though. I think they rerun the shows on Sunday night. Keep an eye out. Thank goodness I have a DVR now :D

Deadliest Catch is a really good show. I usually stop to watch it while channel surfing.

#15 VTEnviro

VTEnviro

His Memory Eternal

• Retired ADMIN
  • 1,024,469 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 05:38 PM

bump.gif!

Woo hoo!

#16 Chucktown PE

Chucktown PE

Veteran

• Supporting Member
  • 6,241 posts
  • Discipline:Civil

Posted 15 April 2008 - 08:24 PM

I am glad to see someone else is as excited as me about the season premire tonight. I have had that f-ing Bon Jovi song in my head for weeks now. I have been singing it around the house and driving my wife crazy. "I'm a cowbow........On a steel horse I ride...............I'm wanted.....................Dead or Alive......."

#17 Road Guy

Road Guy

35 years and a wakeup

• Admin
  • 17,319 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 12:22 AM

sweet, i actually have the house to myself and will get to watch it without the usual background noise

#18 SkyWarp

SkyWarp

Spread that butter... with the force.

• Charter Member
  • 355 posts
  • Interests:"...there is no f***ing drummer better than Neil Peart!"

Posted 16 April 2008 - 01:08 AM

QUOTE (Boyd @ Apr 13 2008, 06:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am glad to see someone else is as excited as me about the season premire tonight. I have had that f-ing Bon Jovi song in my head for weeks now. I have been singing it around the house and driving my wife crazy. "I'm a cowbow........On a steel horse I ride...............I'm wanted.....................Dead or Alive......."
I can't remember what country I was in, but they had the British Discovery Channel and it had a different theme song and the narrator wasn't Mike Rowe. As best I could tell, it was the same show otherwise, but it just wasn't the same.

#19 Katiebug

Katiebug

Principal in Charge

• Veteran
  • 299 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 02:33 PM

QUOTE (Boyd @ Apr 15 2008, 04:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We are a Deadliest Catch fan household. Everything stops when it's on (first run) and people know better than to call the house on Tuesdays at 9 PM for the next few months! We have Seasons 1-3 on DVD; I watch them while I'm on the elliptical trainer.

Sig Hansen is making an appearance at Helly Hansen in Newport, RI in a few weeks (on Mr. Bug's day off). We're seriously considering going to it.

I liked last night's episodes. The truck thing was just unreal! How the heck that prank can be topped is beyond me...

#20 VTEnviro

VTEnviro

His Memory Eternal

• Retired ADMIN
  • 1,024,469 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 02:43 PM

I can't remember what country I was in, but they had the British Discovery Channel and it had a different theme song and the narrator wasn't Mike Rowe. As best I could tell, it was the same show otherwise, but it just wasn't the same.

I caught that in England last year myself. It was similar enough but had a real different feel to it. I'm used to Mike Rowe narrating and Discovery's tendency to overdramatize just a little.

We are a Deadliest Catch fan household. Everything stops when it's on (first run) and people know better than to call the house on Tuesdays at 9 PM for the next few months! We have Seasons 1-3 on DVD; I watch them while I'm on the elliptical trainer.

Same here as far as everything stopping when a new episode is on. We shifted our weekly dinner with some friends to last night instead of the usual Wednesday, so I taped the behind the scenes thing that was on at 8 plus the 2 episodes at 9 and 10.

We'll watch one episode tonight and we are going to save the other one for Sunday. That's my wife's birthday plus we may have our new place in Mass. lined up by then so I am going to score some king crab legs to celebrate and go with it.

#21 roadwreck

roadwreck

Probie-one, PE

• Moderators
  • 9,582 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 03:43 PM

I thought Discovery Channel went waaaaaaaaaaaaay overboard (pun intended) on the dramatics last night. This season better wind up with something catastrophic happening to warrant that kind of ominous foreshadowing.

I wonder what the world would be like if engineers were as superstitious as crab boat captains. The cup-o-noodles spittoon was ludicrous. I can't get away with that kind of crap. I won't calculate this SE transition until I have a granola bar wrapper to use as a sheet of scratch paper!

#22 VTEnviro

VTEnviro

His Memory Eternal

• Retired ADMIN
  • 1,024,469 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 03:57 PM

^Just wait until they get footage of a boat tipping over. They reshowed that guy who fell off the stack on his boat last year that one of the show's boats rescued for the better part of 2 episodes.

The funniest part was they kept re-playing someone shouting "Take your underwear off dude!" as they stripped off the guy's cold wet clothes.

#23 snickerd3

snickerd3

Taking suggestions

• Charter Member
  • 20,261 posts
  • Interests:spamming EB.com

Posted 16 April 2008 - 04:46 PM

I like watching the show when I catch on tv, but I it's not one of the must watch shows. While its interesting to watch, if I were a captain, I don't think I'd sell out and have a camera crew on board for the mere saftey issues it could cause. The extra people/equipment the captain is now responsible for, workers trying to "look good" for the camera, having to work around the said extra equipment/people, producers pushing to get that perfect footage...too many things that would put my people in harms way, when they are already dealing with very real and very deadly conditions.

#24 Chucktown PE

Chucktown PE

Veteran

• Supporting Member
  • 6,241 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 06:12 PM

QUOTE (roadwreck @ Apr 16 2008, 11:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I thought Discovery Channel went waaaaaaaaaaaaay overboard (pun intended) on the dramatics last night. This season better wind up with something catastrophic happening to warrant that kind of ominous foreshadowing.

I wonder what the world would be like if engineers were as superstitious as crab boat captains. The cup-o-noodles spittoon was ludicrous. I can't get away with that kind of crap. I won't calculate this SE transition until I have a granola bar wrapper to use as a sheet of scratch paper!

The Wizard sucks. I am suprised they didn't cut that boat for this season. The cut a couple of the crappy boats from last year that were definitely in it so they could get on TV. The Farwest Leader was one of the. It had the woman on it that got scared when the weather got bad. What a f-ing moron. What did she expect, bluebird weather, I guess she didn't see the first two seasons of the show. They also cut the Maverick. That was another showboat.

The one that got me last night was the Time Bandit. The captain's Mom had a scary dream. I guess we'll see................ooooooooooooohhhhhhhh.

I like the Cornelia Marie and the Northwestern. Those guys don't care about the cameras and are there to fish.....or crab.....or whatever the hell they call it.

Also, I don't quite understand why they call it fishing or call the crew fishermen. Shouldn't they be crabbing crabermen?

Edited by Boyd, 16 April 2008 - 06:16 PM.

#25 snickerd3

snickerd3

Taking suggestions

• Charter Member
  • 20,261 posts
  • Interests:spamming EB.com

Posted 16 April 2008 - 06:39 PM

QUOTE (Boyd @ Apr 16 2008, 01:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also, I don't quite understand why they call it fishing or call the crew fishermen. Shouldn't they be crabbing crabermen?

For the same reason they call people who raise livestock farmers. Farmers grow things whether they be plants or animals and fisherman harvest things from water whether they are fish, crab, etc...

#26 Chucktown PE

Chucktown PE

Veteran

• Supporting Member
  • 6,241 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 07:07 PM

QUOTE (snickerd3 @ Apr 16 2008, 02:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For the same reason they call people who raise livestock farmers. Farmers grow things whether they be plants or animals and fisherman harvest things from water whether they are fish, crab, etc...

That logic doesn't exactly work. Farmers grow stuff on a farm. The Fisherman doesn't catch stuff on a fish. Using your argurment they would be called seamen or oceanmen or something like that.

#27 testee

testee

supporting role

• 259 posts
  • Interests:hanging out
  • Discipline:Water Resources

Posted 16 April 2008 - 07:14 PM

you know how you get rid of crabs, right?

you shave one half.

light the other half on fire.

then stab them with an ice pick as they run out.

#28 Katiebug

Katiebug

Principal in Charge

• Veteran
  • 299 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 08:10 PM

QUOTE (Boyd @ Apr 16 2008, 02:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Wizard sucks. I am suprised they didn't cut that boat for this season. The cut a couple of the crappy boats from last year that were definitely in it so they could get on TV. The Farwest Leader was one of the. It had the woman on it that got scared when the weather got bad. What a f-ing moron. What did she expect, bluebird weather, I guess she didn't see the first two seasons of the show. They also cut the Maverick. That was another showboat.

The one that got me last night was the Time Bandit. The captain's Mom had a scary dream. I guess we'll see................ooooooooooooohhhhhhhh.

I like the Cornelia Marie and the Northwestern. Those guys don't care about the cameras and are there to fish.....or crab.....or whatever the hell they call it.

Yeah, we're not so fond of the Wizard. Monte is cooler than Keith, who just seems disturbingly superstitious. Didn't they have a loser greenhorn last season? Unlike a lot of the crab fishermen, they go to the trouble of getting Coast Guard master and mate licenses. Their boat was always in the top 5 or 10 in the fleet during the derby fishing days, so apparently they're good at what they do. I just don't find them particularly compelling. I thoroughly enjoyed their website, though - lots of neat information about the boat itself and how it was converted from a WWII Navy yard oiler.

Time Bandit: I like Andy best. Johnathan can sometimes seem skeevy. And I definitely don't like Scotty (John's kid) - seems like a little snot. Russell (one of their deckhands) is a riot. I'm impressed at what they do with a smaller boat than the others on the show. They definitely seem like a fun-loving bunch. They were actually the chase boat during the 1st season.

I like what we've seen of the Early Dawn. The longlining process was interesting to watch. Brown crab must be a lucrative fishery without much competition, for each deckhand to have earned $90K from it!

The North American is the other new boat this year. It wasn't on either of last night's episodes. The captain of that one is Norwegian and his father was associated somehow with the Hansens' father. Apparently there's something of a rivalry. Should be interesting...plus Eric Nyhammer, the captain of the Rollo (Season 2) was a deckhand on the North American (after he took his boat out and caught their quota).

I liked the Maverick when Rick was captain. Blake played to the cameras too much. I know there was a lot of manufactured drama in Season 2 with Rick not handing the boat over to Blake, though - they said he "chose" not to return for opie season, but that's because his father was very ill and he was running his dad's boat for another fishery at the time. He may be a tool, but apparently he's a decent fisherman.

Northwestern and Cornelia Marie are my favorites. Love both those boats and the guys on them.

I wish the Rollo had more than one season on the show. They seemed really laid-back and fun.

ETA: Hated the Farwest Leader. Their captain was sarcastic, the engineer was a screaming jerk, and the wife shouldn't have been allowed on the boat except when tied up at the dock. Mr. Bug calls her "Brunhilda".

Edited by Katiebug, 16 April 2008 - 08:11 PM.

#29 VTEnviro

VTEnviro

His Memory Eternal

• Retired ADMIN
  • 1,024,469 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 08:13 PM

Yeah, we're not so fond of the Wizard. Monte is cooler than Keith, who just seems disturbingly superstitious. Didn't they have a loser greenhorn last season?

I kinda like the Wizard. To each his own I guess.

They were the ones with the deadbeat greenhorn last year. I'm surprised they didn't toss his ass in.

#30 Dleg

Dleg

Veteran

• EB Supporting Member
  • 14,551 posts
  • Discipline:Enviro

Posted 17 April 2008 - 10:40 PM

Well, I haven't seen any of the new season yet, but judging by a few of the happenings last season, and some of the comments above, I'd say Discovery needs to move on with something new. Once the show starts manufacturing suspense and drama, and once the crews start playing to the camera, the whole thing has lost what originally excited me. I liked the show because it was "real". It's beginning to seem more like "reality" TV now. Just a little, but that's a little too much for me.

There's tons of interesting, tough jobs out there that they could follow. Anyone watched "Ax Men" yet on the history channel?

#31 rudy

rudy

Is this it?

• Veteran
  • 2,293 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 12:05 AM

My hubby and I went to the movies this weekend. Our first time out in a long time time. So, we get there a half hour early. Too early for them to let us into the theater; they were still cleaning it from the previous showing. Then, I started thinking, how come we don't get to church this early. But, that's another story. Back to this story.

So, we finally get into the theater. They start flashing questions about movie stars to keep us entertained. Then, they start showing commercials. Crap. I payed to see commercials. Crap. So, we watch this car commercial. And I'm complaining (in my mind, of course). So, then this other commercial comes on. It's the Deadliest Catch show. I loved it... and on the big screen. They should show more of those kind of commercials.

#32 SkyWarp

SkyWarp

Spread that butter... with the force.

• Charter Member
  • 355 posts
  • Interests:&quot;...there is no f***ing drummer better than Neil Peart!&quot;

Posted 18 April 2008 - 12:54 AM

I can only think of one movie theater chain in this region that shows tv commercials. Coincidentally, they're trashy theaters.

#33 jregieng

jregieng

Ninjaneer !!!

• Moderators
  • 11,827 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 12:12 PM

QUOTE (VTEnviro @ Apr 16 2008, 04:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I kinda like the Wizard. To each his own I guess.

orlyflag.gif

Alltel Cell Phone Commercial

So, what level dungeon master are you? blink.gif

JR

#34 ROBIAMEIT

ROBIAMEIT

Project Engineer

• 84 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 12:16 PM

Deadliest Catch is AWSOME and every thing STOPS at my house when its on! . . . . . i am a DIE HARD fisherman and i know what its like to be cold wet and tired but those dudes are INSANE!!. . . . to work 30 + hours STRAIGHT in that environment!! My wife . . . not so much. man i could watch those guys pull in crabs all night!

replies to comments : Those dudes may look like toothless bums and as far as letting them shine my shoes . . . EVERYONE of those guys are proffessional . . . . they make it look SOO easy on the show (ok . . so maybe not!) but just to be able to maneuver those 1/2 ton cages around on the deck in 20 foot seas is amazing to me! they are THE REAL DEAL. i wouldnt have one second thought about letting anyone of them have my back.

show begining is slow : its the start of the season guys!! . . . . as a TV show they HAVE to pull you in and make you WANT to see what happens next and to make you have some kind of emotional connection with those guys. . . . no one whould give a crap what happened if you didnt see them acting like normal people, drinking in a bar and shopping for food. BESIDES . . . ITS ALASKA!! . . . . i would watch WEEDS grow on TV if it was in Alaska!!

Fisherman/Crab fisherman : the Alaskan King Crab season is only a SMALL part of what they do . . . theres Cod, Opies, Brown crabs. . . . . the King seasons length is set by a quota of allowable harvested crabs. the season could be over in 3 days or one week, depending on how everyone is doing. they are FISHERMAN fishing for crabs! . . . .the guys on Tv even SAY it "LETS GO FISHIN!"

One of my college buddies went up and did it one season . . . . never looked back. came home after 6 months with enough money to buy a NICE house in State College PA . . CASH. even met an Alaskan native girl and married her

From the rest of us desk jockeys :

Chinda . . . i know youre out there somewhere bro . . . . YOU ROCK DUDE

#35 rudy

rudy

Is this it?

• Veteran
  • 2,293 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 01:35 AM

QUOTE (VTEnviro @ Apr 16 2008, 10:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
^Just wait until they get footage of a boat tipping over. They reshowed that guy who fell off the stack on his boat last year that one of the show's boats rescued for the better part of 2 episodes.

The funniest part was they kept re-playing someone shouting "Take your underwear off dude!" as they stripped off the guy's cold wet clothes.

I saw that part on last night's show. It was sub-titled "The Best of Season 3." i couldn't believe that guy was hanging on the edge of the boat near the bottom of the crab cages. He's crazy. It would have been cool if they had shown footage of the actual rescue when they pulled him out.

#36 VTEnviro

VTEnviro

His Memory Eternal

• Retired ADMIN
  • 1,024,469 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 10:37 PM

I just spent $80 for 4 lbs of good old Alaskan red gold. I am feeling celebratory!

#37 Chucktown PE

Chucktown PE

Veteran

• Supporting Member
  • 6,241 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 01:23 PM

New season starts tonight.

w00t.gif

#38 VTEnviro

VTEnviro

His Memory Eternal

• Retired ADMIN
  • 1,024,469 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 02:03 PM

DAMN RIGHT!

I watched most of the marathon this weekend. I love this show, it's the only one I actually set aside time to watch each week.

I drove by a lake on the way to work this morning and was compelled to bellow out "The vast Bering Sea!"

#39 Wolverine

Wolverine

Cigar Afficianado

• Charter Member
  • 4,009 posts
  • Interests:Pink is the new BLue & Yellow
  • Discipline:Electrical

Posted 14 April 2009 - 02:50 PM

Just an uninteresting side note: ^^^ That crab's coloring looks like it's been cooked.

Maybe it's a ghost crab. Or a crab so tough that it could be cooked and still be alive. Maybe that's why it's angry. Or maybe it was irradiated but survived.

I'm not saying, I'm just saying...

#40 Chucktown PE

Chucktown PE

Veteran

• Supporting Member
  • 6,241 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 03:19 PM

QUOTE (Wolverine @ Apr 14 2009, 10:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just an uninteresting side note: ^^^ That crab's coloring looks like it's been cooked.

Maybe it's a ghost crab. Or a crab so tough that it could be cooked and still be alive. Maybe that's why it's angry. Or maybe it was irradiated but survived.

I'm not saying, I'm just saying...

To me it just looks like a blue crab.

I just hope there isn't so much fake drama to start the show this year. Remember the cup of noodle bullshit that started last season? It couldn't get much more lame than that.

#41 VTEnviro

VTEnviro

His Memory Eternal

• Retired ADMIN
  • 1,024,469 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 04:21 PM

Remember the cup of noodle bullshit that started last season?

What a load of crap that was. I woulda been pissed if I was a deckhand there. I'm risking my ass to make potentially big money and I'm losing some every second this guy wastes looking for his styroforam spitoon. I'm not the biggest fan of the Wizard.

I hope one of the boats gets pranked this year. Was it last year or the year before they replaced a pot with a demolished car?

#42 MagicCityDawg

MagicCityDawg

Vice President

• Veterans
  • 812 posts
  • Interests:Mississippi State Sports, New Orleans Saints, St. Louis Cardinals

Posted 14 April 2009 - 04:39 PM

QUOTE (VTEnviro @ Apr 14 2009, 11:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What a load of crap that was. I woulda been pissed if I was a deckhand there. I'm risking my ass to make potentially big money and I'm losing some every second this guy wastes looking for his styroforam spitoon. I'm not the biggest fan of the Wizard.

I hope one of the boats gets pranked this year. Was it last year or the year before they replaced a pot with a demolished car?

Yeah, like maybe put a dead hooker in one.

But, it would need to be on a 12 hour soak, or else it would just be more bait.

#43 Chucktown PE

Chucktown PE

Veteran

• Supporting Member
  • 6,241 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 04:40 PM

QUOTE (VTEnviro @ Apr 14 2009, 12:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think that was two seasons ago. The guys from the Time Bandit replaced one of the Corneila Marie's pots with the old car. My favorite boat is still the Northwestern. Those guys just work their asses off and don't play for the cameras. I was just looking on Discovery's website and it looks like there are a couple of new boats this year.

#44 Flyer_PE

Flyer_PE

Jr. PE / Sr. Company Pilot

• Supporting Member
  • 8,912 posts
  • Interests:Anything loud and/or fast

Posted 14 April 2009 - 04:42 PM

QUOTE (VTEnviro @ Apr 14 2009, 11:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can't remember which seasons they happened in but my favorite pranks so far are the truck and the porta-john.

#45 wilheldp_PE

wilheldp_PE

PE, LEED AP, SPAM KING

• Veterans
  • 9,255 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 04:51 PM

I was really into this show for the first few seasons too. But I think they ran out of actual jobs and dangers to show, so they started focusing on the "soft" side stories. In addition to the great spittoon search last season, they also followed the Cornelia Marie's captain, and his illness, WAY too much. And from the previews that I have seen for this season, it looks to be more of the same. I really like the Northwestern crew because they seem to have fun without just acting stupid for the cameras, and they get their shit done at all costs.

#46 VTEnviro

VTEnviro

His Memory Eternal

• Retired ADMIN
  • 1,024,469 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 05:39 PM

QUOTE (jmbeck @ Apr 14 2009, 12:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, like maybe put a dead hooker in one.

But, it would need to be on a 12 hour soak, or else it would just be more bait.

I wonder if she was 'on the crab' before her death as well...

I can't remember which seasons they happened in but my favorite pranks so far are the truck and the porta-john.

Another one I liked was where they welded the pot shut.

#47 Chucktown PE

Chucktown PE

Veteran

• Supporting Member
  • 6,241 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 12:34 AM

20 more minutes and it's on like Donkey Kong.

#48 Road Guy

Road Guy

35 years and a wakeup

• Admin
  • 17,319 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 12:59 AM

QUOTE (VTEnviro @ Apr 14 2009, 10:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
DAMN RIGHT!

I watched most of the marathon this weekend. I love this show, it's the only one I actually set aside time to watch each week.

I drove by a lake on the way to work this morning and was compelled to bellow out "The vast Bering Sea!"

Is that Zelda?

#49 MagicCityDawg

MagicCityDawg

Vice President

• Veterans
  • 812 posts
  • Interests:Mississippi State Sports, New Orleans Saints, St. Louis Cardinals

Posted 15 April 2009 - 12:37 PM

QUOTE (Road Guy @ Apr 14 2009, 07:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is that Zelda?

[dork]
Ahem, the proper question would be "Is that Link?" To look like Zelda, the figure in the artwork would need to look like a princess. Come on, EVERYONE knows that!
[/dork]

#50 Chucktown PE

Chucktown PE

Veteran

• Supporting Member
  • 6,241 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 12:43 PM

Last night's episode was pretty good. The preview of the season led me to believe that the Wizard is going to have some trouble.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

=