Salary raise after passing PE exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunny777

Reaction score
Did anyone get immediate salary raise after passing PE exam? Heard in the same company - its like 2% or 10k depending where you work.

While I don't know what your current salary is, 2% and $10k are way different numbers. For most engineers, 2% would probably be between $1500-$2500. You would have to make over $500k/yr to get a $10k raise at 2%. Regardless, I know that at my work, salary raises are always capped at around 6% no matter what ($4500-$7500 for an average engineer). I highly doubt I will get any raise for my PE though. I did it more for personal pride and accomplishment.

This has been discussed at GREAT length in other forums. A quick search will show you numerous threads with some very good feedback and individual experiences. Here's a recent one to start with:

http://engineerboards.com/index.php?showtopic=25098

This should also probably be moved since it's not directly related to receiving results for April 2015.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for pointing this out Fox. These new salary threads are starting to become a pet peeve of mine. How hard is it to do a freaking search before you create a new thread?

And, who the hell discusses salaries anyways? It's none of anybody's business. If you are happy and feel well compensated, then who gives a crap? If you went into engineering to be rich, well then......

And, who the hell discusses salaries anyways? It's none of anybody's business. If you are happy and feel well compensated, then who gives a crap? If you went into engineering to be rich, well then......

Said no one with a wife and/or kids, ever...

Thanks, my family is very happy.

It also depends a lot on your definition of rich... I will have over 2 million in retirement if I keep this up when i retire at 62 (though I will have the option at 55). I have a wife and 2 kids (hopefully a 3rd some time soon). I care a lot about discussing wages to be sure I am on a fair level with my peers or I will move on until I am!

It also depends a lot on your definition of rich... I will have over 2 million in retirement if I keep this up when i retire at 62 (though I will have the option at 55). I have a wife and 2 kids (hopefully a 3rd some time soon). I care a lot about discussing wages to be sure I am on a fair level with my peers or I will move on until I am!
Wanna make more money? Move to a more expensive region.

I made more in Massachusetts, but I had less spending cash.

I concur with you Ken 3.0. Made more $$ when I worked in Miami but had less in my pocket. The opposite when I moved back to the middle north of WI.

Or, maybe the no money part had something to do with :40oz: on the beach too often...

I was sold that line "engineers make the big bucks"...here i am 12 years later still chasing the small bucks! ha. oh well, building cool **** is fun!

I'm a civil whose first job out of college was in the oil and gas industry. I had an idea of what civils made but when I saw the big difference in $$$ starting pay I said I can be any kind of engineer you want me to be.

Right now oil and gas jobs are in doldrums - hope it becomes better soon - I am in Oil and Gas too. I dont see many jobs at all nowadays in Houston in O & G. 1 year ago - job market was hot in Houston in the same.

Back