Civil PE with Structural Depth: School of PE or PPI review courses?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimmerC

Reaction score
School of PE seems to have more hours and specific Depth topics oriented hours, whereas PPI package seems to be really complete.

Also, I wonder if these webinars will have implemented all the changes in the codes that the April 2015 exam will have...

Any input is much appreciated, thanks guys.

I just took School of PE for October 2014 and even though I have't passed yet; I thought the on site class was worth the money I spent.

It would be better if you can get your hands on the material in advance from a friend or a colleague. Its pretty fast paced.

I really did like the structural instructor in NJ onsite class!

Don't know anything or anyone who took PPI packages to study for the PE exam.

School of PE seems to have more hours and specific Depth topics oriented hours, whereas PPI package seems to be really complete.

Also, I wonder if these webinars will have implemented all the changes in the codes that the April 2015 exam will have...

Any input is much appreciated, thanks guys.

JC, I'd also recommend you consider EET.

http://www.eet-california.com/civil_pe_class_info

Thanks for your input ptatohed. I discarded EET because they are not offering review course for the Structural depth, at least they do not show it on their website now...

LJ, I did spend time reading this forum before asking the question, and I did not find any post comparing both options for the Civil PE with structural depth :(

Also, IMO posts from more than 3 or 4 years ago are not really applicable as the courses might have evolved a lot since then...thanks anyway

I took School of PE this past Fall for the test and I was structural as well. The morning review was fantastic. I felt like I was able to answer every test question, including one that I can remember that was pretty much an exact one from the review notes.

The actual structural afternoon review was ok. The afternoon topics are just so spread out and could cover such a large range of material that it would be almost impossible to go very in depth without spending a ton of time. That said, I did find a thing or two covered helpful. Your best bet for the afternoon is to just practice problems and spend lots and lots of time in the codes.

I don't know how exactly the class will be now that the test format has been redone and codes updated though.

Thanks for your input ptatohed. I discarded EET because they are not offering review course for the Structural depth, at least they do not show it on their website now...

Oh, you're right. Sorry, I didn't catch that.

I wonder why...?

I took School of PE this past Fall for the test and I was structural as well. The morning review was fantastic. I felt like I was able to answer every test question, including one that I can remember that was pretty much an exact one from the review notes.

The actual structural afternoon review was ok. The afternoon topics are just so spread out and could cover such a large range of material that it would be almost impossible to go very in depth without spending a ton of time. That said, I did find a thing or two covered helpful. Your best bet for the afternoon is to just practice problems and spend lots and lots of time in the codes.

I don't know how exactly the class will be now that the test format has been redone and codes updated though.

Thanks rah2115, really helpful! And yeah, I had that same doubt when I saw that if you register for the on demand review you have access to the videos right now...does that mean they have been recording new videos to tackle all these code updates, or you are just getting old stuff when you sign for on demand...I'll call them and just ask.

Btw, would you recommend any practice problems book for the afternoon part of the exam??

Thanks again!

While not their spokesperson, I can testify that School of PE is undergoing major changes to accommodate the exam format changes for April 2015.

I have recently been involved in numerous conversations and a conference call regarding this very topic.

Long story short, discussion topics are being refocused for the April 2015 exam formats. For example, Water Resources (my specialty area) is being revised top-to-bottom and future students will benefit!

Harry

(full disclosure - I am an instructor for School of PE.)

Harry was pretty good for the SofPE (Newark, NJ area SofPE class).

My three favorite instructors with onsite SofPE were Structural, WR and Geotech. Transportation was above average and Construction was marginal.

I think I got a lot out of these classes because I studied the material before I arrived in the class otherwise it goes over your head because it is fast paced. So, I strongly recommend studying and tabbing the CERM prior to arriving to the class and add more tabs to SofPE material as you go along in the class.

First try in October 2014, Transportation and I passed it!!!

LJ, I did spend time reading this forum before asking the question, and I did not find any post comparing both options for the Civil PE with structural depth :(

Also, IMO posts from more than 3 or 4 years ago are not really applicable as the courses might have evolved a lot since then...thanks anyway
Sorry JimmerC, having been here a couple years now I remember seeing a lot of discussion for the two organizations and was trying to save you some time in waiting for answers. They both have their merits from what I can tell. I chose to study on my own and it worked for me but I also started early and had, what i think, very applicable experience for my discipline (lots of calculations and design during my 4 years of applicable experience). The generic answer that I have seen many times when these questions come up is: "It depends on your situation..." Given the new format that is coming I hope more people comment on your question with more meaningful answers than what I have offered... :)

Would you guys recommend the Structural Depth Ref Manual or just buying the Structural Engineering Ref Manual and be covered for sure for the depth portion? Thanks! I am afraid the topics in SERM might be too much for the exam....

Harry was pretty good for the SofPE (Newark, NJ area SofPE class).

My three favorite instructors with onsite SofPE were Structural, WR and Geotech. Transportation was above average and Construction was marginal.

I think I got a lot out of these classes because I studied the material before I arrived in the class otherwise it goes over your head because it is fast paced. So, I strongly recommend studying and tabbing the CERM prior to arriving to the class and add more tabs to SofPE material as you go along in the class.

First try in October 2014, Transportation and I passed it!!!
Congrats on passing!

I am a big proponent (and personally don't think this idea is communicated well enough) that students should review material (mainly for your depth discipline) on their own before starting their review course. You need to get a handle on what you know and what you don't know. You may very well find out topics you thought you understood really need more studying. This will also let you take advantage of the instructor and ask educated questions. The sooner you start ... the better your chances of passing.

It wasn't civil, but my experience with SoPE for mechanical, Thermo/Fluids was similar. The review for the morning was perfect, covered everything. You are a little more on your own for the afternoon.

Back