LEED AP

7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_twada_*

Guest_twada_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2007 - 06:40 PM

I know that this is strictly related to those who deal with buildings. So some Electrical and Mechanical HVAC Engineers must be interested. I wonder if this Board can create a topic for those who are taking LEED AP exams...

#2 Road Guy

Road Guy

35 years and a wakeup

• Admin
  • 17,525 posts
  • Interests:Yoga Pants, Ski!, SCUBA, Backpacking, Kicking Ass, etc
  • Discipline:Construction

Posted 06 February 2007 - 07:00 PM

I had been thinking of making an "other" -type forum until the need was big enough to split them out.(Surveying Exam, Arch, etc)

I dont konw anything about LEED , is this more like a general contractor test or a code / deisgn type exam?

#3 VTEnviro

VTEnviro

His Memory Eternal

• Retired ADMIN
  • 1,024,469 posts
  • Discipline:Sorely Lacking

Posted 06 February 2007 - 08:04 PM

I've tried to figure out how the whole LEED thing worked.

Is it you have to be LEED certified to design LEEd buildings?

#4 Guest_twada_*

Guest_twada_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2007 - 10:05 PM

I had been thinking of making an "other" -type forum until the need was big enough to split them out.(Surveying Exam, Arch, etc)

I dont konw anything about LEED , is this more like a general contractor test or a code / deisgn type exam?

The Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Green Building Rating System™ is the nationally accepted benchmark for the design, construction, and operation of high performance green buildings. LEED gives building owners and operators the tools they need to have an immediate and measurable impact on their buildings’ performance. LEED promotes a whole-building approach to sustainability by recognizing performance in five key areas of human and environmental health: sustainable site development, water savings, energy efficiency, materials selection, and indoor environmental quality.

LEED is more geared toward designers of energy efficient buildings. Some LEED projects require LEED certified Architects/Engineers to design and apply for the LEED certified buildings. LEED is becoming very important for all building consulting engineers to have.

I am not 100% sure what LEED does, so I just want to have some discussion topics to learn more about LEED. (how to become LEED certified.., what kind of exam, and so on...)

#5 bigray76

bigray76

Food & Beverage Director

• Charter Member
  • 7,747 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 12:55 PM

Working for a construction manager, I have found that more and more clients (typically private educational institutions and pharmaceuticals) have been trying to get LEED credits. Many of the designers (architects, engineers, etc.) are getting LEED credentials. My company is insisting that the boss and the senior guys in my department (which is just me right now) also go through the process in order to pad the company's portfolio (they like having a few PE's and LEED's in the teams they suggest for long-term preconstruction efforts).

Getting your LEED certainly couldn't hurt you and may keep you notch above the rest of the people out there.

No thought has been made here about the LEED exam until after I am done with the PE. Too much to think about for now.

-Ray

#6 mizzoueng

mizzoueng

Hop Addict

• EB Supporting Member
  • 785 posts
  • Discipline:Mechanical

Posted 07 February 2007 - 02:11 PM

I'm not sure what the LEED credits are used for, maybe tax deducts or something. We worked on a LEED project in California. Cali is big on LEED jobs, you know with the hippies and all. But it is just a way to design a building as "green" as possible.

Some examples are, cutting water usage by 30% by using no flow toilets/urinals, utilizing grass types that require less water, employing green power sources, my personal favorite: collect storm drainage to an aquifer, this could be used as any non-pot water source.

There are a lot of things you could do, but it is basically to help the building get itself away from the power/water/gas companies. If you can make a self sufficent building that at the same time does little damage to the environment (light, air, noise, water pollution) then you get LEED creds.

#7 Road Guy

Road Guy

35 years and a wakeup

• Admin
  • 17,525 posts
  • Interests:Yoga Pants, Ski!, SCUBA, Backpacking, Kicking Ass, etc

Posted 07 February 2007 - 02:16 PM

someone else had asked me about the survey exam, and the Arch Eng exam so I did add an "other" category, trying to make it a catch all, It probably needs a better name though..

#8 Guest_twada_*

Guest_twada_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2007 - 04:41 PM

someone else had asked me about the survey exam, and the Arch Eng exam so I did add an "other" category, trying to make it a catch all, It probably needs a better name though..

Thamks Road Guy.
I hope more and more people will get involved in this LEED topic in future.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

=