PE and Money

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Butter

Reaction score
I know there are a lot of threads about money that have been around for a long time. But I'm kind of weird and believe in firing up a new thread rather than going back to one that just won't die.

Anyway, I passed the Oct 2013 PE exam. I work for an Arch/ Engr firm in the Energy Services department. I have a few other certifications, CxA, CEM, BEMP. Oh and I have an MBA. I'm currently at about $55k. I have a meeting to discuss a pay bump soon... I'm pretty sure I'm under paid right now. I really like my company, but want to be properly compensated.

What pay range should I look for in the negotiation?

Do most people get a percentage pay bump or do you look for a certain number.

Thanks for any help.

I have an opinion in one of the previous threads........

That's what's nice about this type of message board. You don't have to start new threads all the time.

You have a Mechanical Engineering degree, and enough experience to take and pass he PE and you are making $55k a year? I think that is extremely low and unreasonable, maybe you should do some checking around and see what other types of offers you can get in your area, then decide if you like your company enough to turn down an extra $20k. Just my 2 cents.

You have a Mechanical Engineering degree, and enough experience to take and pass he PE and you are making $55k a year? I think that is extremely low and unreasonable, maybe you should do some checking around and see what other types of offers you can get in your area, then decide if you like your company enough to turn down an extra $20k. Just my 2 cents.

Well I was at $44k a year ago. Again very low I know, but took a job in the middle of the recession when I needed it. I was there for two years. $55k was a big jump then, but I know it wasn't correct.

Either way, at $55k I figured I was due for more than a 5% bump. Plus extra certifications and an MBA I would hope should make me a little more valuable.

People, you have to remember that we all live in different states. Someone mentioned that he knows drafters making 60k. I work for an engineering firm in Florida and I've never met a drafter making that much, but I'm pretty sure that in states where cost of living is much higher than in FL(CA, NY) that could be common.

How many years of experience do you have Butter?

Last edited by a moderator:
Butter,

I work as an energy engineer for an energy services company and I can tell you that I started with the company right out of school with a little more than where you're currently at.

You should look for another spot.

People, you have to remember that we all live in different states. Someone mentioned that he knows drafters making 60k. I work for an engineering firm in Florida and I've never met a drafter making that much, but I'm pretty sure that in states where cost of living is much higher than in FL(CA, NY) that could be common.

I work in Nebraska with a low cost of leaving. Drafters at my firm make what I said. Granted they have a lot of experience but still. 50-60k is the rate.

Well, I know I've been under compensated. I'm going to use this as an opportunity to adjust that. I really don't want to go shopping for new work, but

I have 4 yrs of experience in Energy Services. Before that I was in manufacturing for 3 yrs. No actual HVAC design though.

I'm located in a southern mid-sized (300k) town. There is decent competition here for PEs.

I really don't want to job shop, but I do want to be fairly compensated. And I think this is my best time to make that adjustment.

If you have changed industries multiple times and have little experience in the job you are currently in, then $55k might not be far off. Ecruz is right that the city you are in really matters here. Also, an MBA does not make you a much better junior engineer. That will be a much bigger asset when you move into project management or higher.

I started with no experience in energy services with a slightly higher base. Now I'm considered mid/senior level after 4.5 years experience (with CEM and now PE). I live in Florida and I make 15-20% more than where you are at right now. So that gives you a perspective of where you should be.

My boss also said the PE will enable a promotion to senior level much quicker (increase of 10-15%).

Factual data comes from the NSPE 2013 Annual Salary Survey. Here is some data that may assist you in your quest for more money.

Exhibit 7 of the NSPE report, page 9 shows an engineer with 7-9 years of experience has an median annual income of $73, 082.

Exhibit 8-- Page 10 shows the median salary of an engineer with an MBA at $115,000.

Exhibit 14, page 15 shows the median salary of a mechanical engineer as $101,508.

Now, the survey data is just that-- I cannot parse it any finer-- my point is that I would build a chart using the NSPE data when you go argue for more money. In fact, I did that for a colleague-- using all of the charts that were applicable to him-- he goes and sees the man next week.

Geographic location, as is stated earlier has a bearing on how much you get. Job responsibility is also a factor.

The MBA is a wash-- yes, it is of value, but if it is not from one of the top 10 MBA schools--(Harvard, Stanford, Chicago, Wharton, etc), then it really is not that valuable. I know, hard to take, but a real fact in today's world. Yes, you learned something from the experience and it may be a great value-- however, MBA's are very plentiful-- however, you should identify that as a value add for your pointed haired boss when you go see him.

If I was going to argue for a raise, I would certainly build me a comprehensive chart using the NSPE 2013 salary survey data, present it and let the pointy haired boss refute it. He will, however, now you have hard facts to argue with--again, the survey data is compiled-- so parsing it down fine is not an option-- however, looks to me that your $55,000 might be low.

I would do some due diligence-- i.e, talk to the boys at the state NSPE chapter meeting in your city, poke around a little on the web, build an airtight case for what you want-- add 20% and then go argue. If you have to concede 20%, you are right where you want to be. Another point we always tell our clients is that the cost of recruiting your replacement is worth your salary-- if you make $55,000, going to find your replacement will cost that amount-- time, travel, wine;dine, etc.

If you need more help-- we can do that also.

I really think the area where you work has a lot to do with what you make. I don't have my PE yet, but I have a BSME and have been working for 8 years in engineering. I had ~ 2 years non engineering work after graduating almost 10 yrs ago. I currently make a six figure salary.

It's often much easier to move up salary wise by starting fresh at a new job. I can't see a company who is paying you 55, all the sudden paying you 75. Would you even want that? I would want a company the pays a fair salary in exchange for my services.

Thanks for everyone's insight.

Should I expect a true negotiation or more of a notification of a new pay?

Back