Photo

April 2012 CA-Survey Exam cancelled statewide?

150 replies to this topic

#1 ptatohed

ptatohed

Chief Engineer

• Supporting Member
  • 1,518 posts
  • Discipline:Civil

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:11 PM

My friend who was supposed to take the exam at the Pomona site said they cancelled the exam! What a nightmare. They told him it was statewide. Is this true? Did other test locations cancel as well? Rumor has it that the exam booklets had a Survey cover but a Seismic exam inside. That's terrible.

#2 darius

darius

Engineer

• 91 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:25 PM

Is very sad frustrating and very true. Everybody was sited when they called proctors to bring the booklets, and then they called to return booklets…and the game was over

#3 LakersFreak

LakersFreak

Project Engineer

• 73 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:34 PM

I couldn't believe when they said its canceled!!!!! I hope it's not rescheduled for oct. It better be within next month otherwise you will have to re-study everything!!!! How frustrating. I hope the person who screwed up gets punished somehow.

#4 Square

Square

Intern

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:43 PM

I was at the San mateo site and ours was cancelled as well. Same explaination that the survey exam actually had seismic questions. My copy looked OK (at least the first question)

#5 ERIWEN

ERIWEN

Intern

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:00 PM

Pomona is cancelled! they told me it is statewide. does anybody know why??

#6 darius

darius

Engineer

• 91 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:02 PM

If they are not going to reschedule again very very quick, I mean within few weeks or a month is exactly like if you would fail...need to study again and go through the whole hassle

#7 pesquared

pesquared

Intern

• EB.com member
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:31 PM

The State Board website said cancellation due to security reason

#8 ptatohed

ptatohed

Chief Engineer

• Supporting Member
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:32 PM

http://www.pels.ca.gov/
  • ANNOUNCED APRIL 12, 2012 - The April 12, 2012 State Civil Engineering Surveying examination has been canceled due to security issues. All candidates will be contacted by the Board as soon as possible to reschedule. We apologize for any inconvenience.

#9 Sac-PE

Sac-PE

Barca fan

• 73 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:52 PM

All the examinees in my hall had seismic exam inside the exam book instead of surveying

#10 Square

Square

Intern

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:54 PM

Saying that it's a security issue makes it sound like there was an attempt to leak the exam. But from what I understood it was a printing issue.

Someone messed up.

#11 jilljackson

jilljackson

Intern

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:15 PM

They're calling it a security issue?? That notice they gave on their website is the exact type of notice I would expect from the board. Very little detail with no acknowledgment of fault.

Someone didn't verify the distribution of the correct books!

#12 Bpotter12

Bpotter12

Intern

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:16 PM

It was cancelled thirty minutes into the exam in Visalia. If it is a printing error they should be honest and not lie about it. The truth will come out.

#13 YMZ PE

YMZ PE

Unsanitary Engineer

• Supporting Member
  • 4,354 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:22 PM

How loud was the uproar at the various exam sites?

#14 Bpotter12

Bpotter12

Intern

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:23 PM

The board website mentions that we will be contacted for a reschedule.

#15 PE_Water

PE_Water

Intern

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:31 PM

Please send message or letter to Board to reschedule it ASAP...hopefully sometime next week. So that whoever prepared well for the exam will be less effected.

#16 jbl2102

jbl2102

Intern

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Discipline:Structural

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:38 PM

At the Bay Area site it was cancelled less than a minute into the exam when a large number of candidates opened their books and found seismic problems inside. It took them about 20 minutes to tell us that they were cancelling the exam and that they'd tell us what was going to happen next at some other time. I felt bad for the guy sitting next to me who flew in from OK.

#17 darius

darius

Engineer

• 91 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:39 PM

Would be GREAT and amazing to be next week but just think about that they need to reprint again let everybody know about the changes, so I really doubt is gonna happen. I am still gonna be happy if it will be reschedule within a month or so. Good luck and please CAPELS hurry up!!!

#18 jilljackson

jilljackson

Intern

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:48 PM

Looks like their going to play it as a "security" issue.

#19 ptatohed

ptatohed

Chief Engineer

• Supporting Member
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:00 PM

Did you read post #1 and #4 above yours?

All the examinees in my hall had seismic exam inside the exam book instead of surveying

Care to share where your exam site was?

Saying that it's a security issue makes it sound like there was an attempt to leak the exam. But from what I understood it was a printing issue.

Someone messed up.

I guess one could argue that if an examinee saw the material of a test he/she wasn't taking, there was a "breach". I'm just joking. You're right. This mistake is inexcusable.

It was cancelled thirty minutes into the exam in Visalia. If it is a printing error they should be honest and not lie about it. The truth will come out.

30 minutes in? That's rough! I assume everyone at your site had Survey exams if you were 30 minutes in? Now they have to throw out all of those questions and come up with 50 more for the reschedule. Ouch.

The board website mentions that we will be contacted for a reschedule.

Echo echo echo............ ;)
http://engineerboard...0

#20 ERIWEN

ERIWEN

Intern

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:10 PM

Did you read post #1 and #4 above yours?

i just wanted to know why~ honestly didn't pay attention to your post~ no offense~

#21 Square

Square

Intern

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:13 PM

Thanks for posting the Pels website info. I didnt even check there first and checked here instead. Actually wasnt even expecting them to put up anything for at least a day. Not that this was terribly informative.

I'm also doubting that they will reschedule within a week. Test of this scale can't be planned and executed in that short term. More like 3-4 months would be my guess.

#22 passpepasspe

passpepasspe

Project Manager

• 104 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:28 PM

wow. this really sucks.. the time i am finally ready for this beast, it get's cancelled..

I agree that the secuirty breach implies that someone got hold of the test, and transfers the blame from the board who carelessly misprinted.That is such a stupid mistake, and I hope it does cost some people their jobs. Mistakes of this scale shouldn't be happening. They affect 1000s of people. I really do feel bad for people who book hotels and come from far away and their employers only reimburse if they pass...

I really don't think they will be able to reschedule and I am betting that we are going to be taking it in October. If the exam has to be adminstered at the same time at all locations; it means that the state has to arrange locations again. From what I understand, most of the locations are non-state owned, and there are probably agreements in place that allow only usage certain times, etc etc, Then they need to prepare, print, notify,arrange proctors, and then be sure they are graded in time for people who don't pass to register for the following test.. Even now, they barely make it to the registration deadline...

Big mess up.It would have been somewhat dismissable, had it been some time of a security breach, but negligence. unexcusable. .

#23 pesquared

pesquared

Intern

• EB.com member
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:47 PM

Perhaps they'll convert to computer based testing (CBT) like the Land Surveyor test. There are dedicated CBT sites all over the state and you can schedule testing within weeks.

#24 jilljackson

jilljackson

Intern

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:55 PM

wow. this really sucks.. the time i am finally ready for this beast, it get's cancelled..

I agree that the secuirty breach implies that someone got hold of the test, and transfers the blame from the board who carelessly misprinted.That is such a stupid mistake, and I hope it does cost some people their jobs.
Big mess up.It would have been somewhat dismissable, had it been some time of a security breach, but negligence. unexcusable. .

It won't cost anyone their job, aren't they state employees?
At any rate, it's inexcusable. It think I'm more PO'd at the way they are trying to cover it as a "security" problem.

#25 jilljackson

jilljackson

Intern

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:07 AM

I agree that the secuirty breach implies that someone got hold of the test, and transfers the blame from the board who carelessly misprinted.That is such a stupid mistake, and I hope it does cost some people their jobs. Mistakes of this scale shouldn't be happening. They affect 1000s of people. I really do feel bad for people who book hotels and come from far away and their employers only reimburse if they pass...

I really don't think they will be able to reschedule and I am betting that we are going to be taking it in October. If the exam has to be adminstered at the same time at all locations; it means that the state has to arrange locations again. .

They could make special arrangements in any number of locations and/or rent out an empty business suites on short notice. But my hunch is they will not go out of their way to right this wrong.

#26 niles22

niles22

Intern

• EB.com member
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:55 AM

Someone is telling me that there's no rescheduling. But to compensate for the incredible inconvenience, the CA survey requirement for the PE, for the april 2012 cycle, is absolved. Anybody else heard this?

#27 darius

darius

Engineer

• 91 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:13 AM

Someone is telling me that there's no rescheduling. But to compensate for the incredible inconvenience, the CA survey requirement for the PE, for the april 2012 cycle, is absolved. Anybody else heard this?

Would be too nice but also unfair for other candidates. Anything would work out better than Oct 2012
  • simpatique likes this

#28 Square

Square

Intern

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:14 AM

Can you clarify where you heard this? Seems far fetched.

This is a legal requirement by the state that engineers must pass this test. I do not see how they can simply wave that.

#29 Maybenexttime

Maybenexttime

Intern

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:27 AM

In Pomona we hadn't even received our test booklets. I called pels and they told me absolutely no refunds. They even had the nerve to ask if I was taking other exams and I asked why that mattered. They said I would have to be there anyway so no reimbursements. I said that I only studied for this subject, took two extra days off to ensure I was ready not including two days off for actual exam. So here I am...4 days unpaid for work, down the gas money for a two hour drive, down the parking fees, basically down over everything. I paid $ for the surveying exam that I didn't get leaving the rest of my time wasted and pointless and not to mention now I'm broke! They have nerve to talk to me that way. I paid for three tests not two! So reimburse me a prorated rate for the third test! They are lucky people don't sue for damages. Not to mention the time wasted studying; especially if there is no guarantee of another test anytime soon. People forget things after a while. Plus we need the time to find out our results and they don't give us enough notification to prepare again anyway. And they acted like I was a piece of dirt they were brushing off their shoulder. No regard for how devestating his could be for people. I havent seen my sick father, why? Because I have been nose down in my surveying review book. I they don't schedule it in a week, two at the most, they might as well just dig a hole and push us in as if they haven't all ready. Thanks CA. For wasting 3 months of my life and countless dollars. It would help if you told the truth on your website too.

#30 passpepasspe

passpepasspe

Project Manager

• 104 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:28 AM

Yeh, there are legal requirement that I doubt the Board will just forgo this easy.. Sounds like wishful thinking to me.. lol.

#31 Maybenexttime

Maybenexttime

Intern

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:47 AM

App: $275
Work: $1056 (might get reimbursed for half)
Parking: $10
Gas: $16
Time: 3 months

If I had known I could have studied for another section and had a chance of not wasting everything.

I've been crying all day.

#32 mykolaz

mykolaz

Intern

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:09 AM

Lowsuit case will be correct answer for what happened on the survey exam.

#33 LakersFreak

LakersFreak

Project Engineer

• 73 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:35 AM

It can't be postponed until Oct!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That would be crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mf_argue: :beat: :madgo: :hang:

#34 ptatohed

ptatohed

Chief Engineer

• Supporting Member
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:10 AM

In Pomona we hadn't even received our test booklets. I called pels and they told me absolutely no refunds. They even had the nerve to ask if I was taking other exams and I asked why that mattered. They said I would have to be there anyway so no reimbursements. I said that I only studied for this subject, took two extra days off to ensure I was ready not including two days off for actual exam. So here I am...4 days unpaid for work, down the gas money for a two hour drive, down the parking fees, basically down over everything. I paid $ for the surveying exam that I didn't get leaving the rest of my time wasted and pointless and not to mention now I'm broke! They have nerve to talk to me that way. I paid for three tests not two! So reimburse me a prorated rate for the third test! They are lucky people don't sue for damages. Not to mention the time wasted studying; especially if there is no guarantee of another test anytime soon. People forget things after a while. Plus we need the time to find out our results and they don't give us enough notification to prepare again anyway. And they acted like I was a piece of dirt they were brushing off their shoulder. No regard for how devestating his could be for people. I havent seen my sick father, why? Because I have been nose down in my surveying review book. I they don't schedule it in a week, two at the most, they might as well just dig a hole and push us in as if they haven't all ready. Thanks CA. For wasting 3 months of my life and countless dollars. It would help if you told the truth on your website too.

That really really sucks Mnt. I totally feel for you and everyone else. Like you, I only studied for (and passed) one exam at a time. I would be devastated if this had happened to me. My friend, as well, was only concentrating on Survey for this administration. This is really a bummer. A mistake of this magnitude, of such importance, affecting so many people, should not have happened, period. And then to lie about it on the website - just terrible. I really hope I am wrong but I have a bad feeling there will be no make-up exam. I think you guys will have to wait until October. I think they'll keep a "reschedule" message up on the website for as long as they can and then eventually remove it and stay quiet and, if asked, they'll probably respond that the October exam is "only" 3,4 months away. Sorry guys! :(

#35 simpatique

simpatique

Project Manager

• 101 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:42 AM

the state wide cancellation of surveying exam is an event that has not occured in 30 years . What type of error could have caused such failure ?

A random error
B systematic error
C Blunder ( someone was smoking opium while printing )
D neither error nor blunder ... Just for the hell of it !

#36 simpatique

simpatique

Project Manager

• 101 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:00 AM

the state should pass all who applied to take the test in april 2012 .. Somebody needs to be liable for this blunder . After all , we prepared and showed up and they did not ...Money, time and effort lost for nothing? wasnt there a breach of contract ?

#37 simpatique

simpatique

Project Manager

• 101 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:02 AM

i dont feel like i should wait till october ! I am prepared to take this stupid test now!

#38 jfwalters

jfwalters

Intern

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:42 AM

I sat in the Sacramento location waiting, next to a guy who flew from Connecticut to take only the CA surveying exam. don't know what the Board do with these guys.

jf

#39 ptatohed

ptatohed

Chief Engineer

• Supporting Member
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:25 PM

As of April 13th, here is the latest per the BPELSG website. Ric Moore wrote a letter.

http://www.pels.ca.g..._applicants.pdf

#40 kevo_55

kevo_55

The Beer Baron

• Charter Member
  • 5,327 posts
  • Discipline:Structural

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:05 PM

Just imagine the people who flew in to California just to take this exam.

This is just crazy.

#41 PE_Water

PE_Water

Intern

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:42 PM

As of April 13th, here is the latest per the BPELSG website. Ric Moore wrote a letter.

http://www.pels.ca.g..._applicants.pdf

Please send Ric Moore a reply asking to let us know the date of the exam ASAP. So that we will continue our preparation based on the date. Without knowing the date I don't feel like studying...and if i don't i am worried that i will forget the stuff....:((....Please react to the incident by sending your emails to the board...otherwise they don't know what we feel and they do whatever they like to do....I already sent him an email.

#42 Sac-PE

Sac-PE

Barca fan

• 73 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:50 PM

I sent an email Friday and no reply til now

#43 mykolaz

mykolaz

Intern

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:23 AM

I sent this email to Ric Moore today:

Dear Mr. Moore, April, 16, 2012

Cancellation of Engineering Surveying examination was unexpected for such level of test and really disappointed for thousands of candidates state wide including myself. We all spent all time free of work and family to be prepared for the test, as well as it cost a lot of money. Of course you know about it by reading comments on Engineerboards.com Forum. I do understand that waiving the test is not realistic and against to law and unfair for other candidates who didn’t take an exam on April 12.

However I think this is a right time to look into the issue of taking the Engineering Surveying test overall and requesting to make changes to Professional Engineers Act (Business and Professions Code ##6700-6799) by adding the following:

“Civil Engineers registered after **/**/2012 shall not be authorized to practice all land surveying as defined in Chapter 6731.1. “Civil engineering; additional authority.”

I have an experience working with different engineering firms in California and realized that there is enough licensed Land Surveyors Engineers in CA to cover construction needs. In addition, the Licensed Surveyors are more professional in this field of construction; they have more experience, specific and modern equipment, software, etc.; not to mention the expenses to provide the test for state of California by itself.

Thank you for prompt respond.

Sincerely,
Nikolay Zinchenko (818-648-1395)
MS (Civil Engineering)
PhD (Structural Engineering)
Associated professor (Structural Design)

#44 ptatohed

ptatohed

Chief Engineer

• Supporting Member
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:26 PM

I sent this email to Ric Moore today:

Dear Mr. Moore, April, 16, 2012

Cancellation of Engineering Surveying examination was unexpected for such level of test and really disappointed for thousands of candidates state wide including myself. We all spent all time free of work and family to be prepared for the test, as well as it cost a lot of money. Of course you know about it by reading comments on Engineerboards.com Forum. I do understand that waiving the test is not realistic and against to law and unfair for other candidates who didn’t take an exam on April 12.

However I think this is a right time to look into the issue of taking the Engineering Surveying test overall and requesting to make changes to Professional Engineers Act (Business and Professions Code ##6700-6799) by adding the following:

“Civil Engineers registered after **/**/2012 shall not be authorized to practice all land surveying as defined in Chapter 6731.1. “Civil engineering; additional authority.”

I have an experience working with different engineering firms in California and realized that there is enough licensed Land Surveyors Engineers in CA to cover construction needs. In addition, the Licensed Surveyors are more professional in this field of construction; they have more experience, specific and modern equipment, software, etc.; not to mention the expenses to provide the test for state of California by itself.

Thank you for prompt respond.

Sincerely,
Nikolay Zinchenko (818-648-1395)
MS (Civil Engineering)
PhD (Structural Engineering)
Associated professor (Structural Design)

Wow. I really don't think this is the time (or reason) to modify the B&P Code. What is your intention? To eliminate the CA-Survey Civil Exam as a requirement? And to remove a Civil's permission to practice any surveying at all? I do not agree with that. I think the nature of your e-mail should be to request a re-scheduling of the exam ASAP and nothing more.

#45 LakersFreak

LakersFreak

Project Engineer

• 73 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:03 PM

So no update yet.....this is soooo frustrating and stressful for for me and my family. I have several vacations planned in the next few months and need to know asap when the test is rescheduled for. Sorry guys I just had to vent somewhere.

#46 snickerd3

snickerd3

Taking suggestions

• Charter Member
  • 19,825 posts
  • Interests:spamming EB.com
  • Discipline:Sorely Lacking

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:06 PM

technically the printing error is a security breach. If people opened test booklets and saw problems that were of a different topic that is a type of breech. It sounds like some locations had access to the entire correct booklet for a period of time as well. The exam is going to have to change in fairness to all.

#47 sac_engineer

sac_engineer

Principal in Charge

• 348 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:32 PM

I completely sympathize with everyone affected by this fiasco. It's an unprecendented circumstance that truly does not have proper reconciliation for everyone. What will we deemed as fair by the Board will certainly not be a shared feeling by most of the examinees, and vice versa.

Here's what I think will happen:

1. Option #1: The Board will reschedule the survey exam before the next schedule exam session in October. At this rate, I don't see the exam rescheduled before June. This option will avoid over-crowded exam rooms in October as well as maintain a healthier test environment by not intermingling disgruntled (rightfully validated) and new examinees.

2. Option #2: The Board will not reschedule the exam, i.e. the next exam will be held in October. This will mean they will need to accommodate a greater number of examinees and deal with an adverse, possibly hostile, environment because some people had to wait 6 months and unnecessarily re-study everything.

I do hope the Board considers rescheduling the survey exam sooner than later. Most of the examinees do not use surveying principles in their job, so I'm sure by now they have already forgotten most of what they studied, but it will be difficult for most to prepare for the exam the longer the Board delays a rescheduled date.

From my point of view, this is a tragedy in epic proportions. It has reduced the reverence of earning a PE license and this incident will live on in infamy for a very long time.

#48 Jayman_PE

Jayman_PE

Quid pro quo

• 271 posts
  • Interests:Bicycling, running, outdoors.

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:37 PM

Only in California! I feel for you guys. I would be gut wrenched. Knowing how bureaucracies work I'm sure they will schedule countless meetings - all of them inconclusive, and by the time someone stands up to make a decision it'll be September. I hope I'm wrong.

Feel free to vent. It might help.

Jason

Edited by Jayman_10x, 17 April 2012 - 10:38 PM.

#49 laborndcluv

laborndcluv

Intern

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:55 PM

So your exam had already started?? Everybody had the correct books in Visalia?? I did not believe the letter on the website that "random books had been checked for accuracy". I would think that ALL the tests would be printed at one time then be distributed to the different test sites.

#50 laborndcluv

laborndcluv

Intern

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:13 PM

I was in San Diego and nobody had the correct exam. All I can say is WOW....I think some people are actually going to lose their jobs for this, even as State employees. This mistake has so many ramifications... the state of CA will not in any way, shape or form, be able to compensate us.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

=