Hazen-williams eq. question

4 replies to this topic

#1 miloc

miloc

Project Engineer

• 69 posts
  • Discipline:Civil

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:42 PM

Can someone explain me where the formula in the attached image is coming from (cerm 17.30 and 17.31 give me a different number)? also when the pressure at the end of the pipe is calculated, where the 0.433 is coming from?

thanks.

Attached Files

#2 mrt406

mrt406

Project Engineer

• 80 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 03:10 PM

There are multiple forms of the Hazen-Williams equation, each for different units of measurement for each variable.

This particular form of the equation is for L = length in feet, Q = flow in cfs, and D = diameter in ft.

The 449 in the solution is a conversion from gpm to cfs (60 seconds per minute x 7.48 gallons per cubic foot).

The 0.433 is a conversion from feet of head to psi.

As an aside, this is a prime example of the type of problem solving needed on both the FE and PE exams. They will give you a relatively simple problem, but try to catch you on units. ALWAYS check your units.
  • snickerd3 and miloc like this

#3 IlPadrino

IlPadrino

Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,883 posts
  • Discipline:Military Engineer

Posted 06 April 2012 - 03:13 PM

0.433 is the conversion factor between "feet of water" and psi (0.433 psi = 1 ft of water). You will find different equations for different units. The equation given is for Q in cfs, which is why there's another conversion factor included in the solution (1 cfs = 449 gpm), and D in ft (again, another conversion factor).

Please take this advice: ALWAYS write down units for the equations in your reference material and ALWAYS write down units in your solution.

#4 VTEnviro

VTEnviro

His Memory Eternal

• Retired ADMIN
  • 1,024,469 posts
  • Discipline:Sorely Lacking

Posted 06 April 2012 - 04:03 PM

As an aside, this is a prime example of the type of problem solving needed on both the FE and PE exams. They will give you a relatively simple problem, but try to catch you on units. ALWAYS check your units.

Agreed. This is critical. Especially since there aren't any units shown in the answers. You need to read the problem carefully.

#5 Jacob_PE

Jacob_PE

Principal in Charge

• 207 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 04:47 PM

When I took the exam in October, I habitually wrote down the units given to me and the units requested. This helped me remember to convert.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

photo
=