4 replies to this topic

#1 kozac

kozac

Intern

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • Discipline:Structural

Posted 25 February 2012 - 12:00 AM

Hey guys. So I work for a dynosaur and we don't use computer software for analysis/design. I figured its time for me to learn the current standards. What is the mainstream/standard software being used in the industry right now?

#2 JoeBoone82

JoeBoone82

Project Manager

• 126 posts
  • Discipline:Civil

Posted 02 March 2012 - 05:40 PM

I can only say some of what I use, and a lot of them have free demo versions that you can download and try the examples or tutorials. RISA-3D. Ram Structural System. RetainPro. Enercalc. Structure Point (spSlab and spColumn). Adapt PT. RisaFoot. Staad.Pro

#3 kozac

kozac

Intern

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:48 PM

Thanks.... nothing is easy in this life huh? I was hoping for a maximum of 3 different ones, heh.

#4 andyrich

andyrich

Andy

• 48 posts
  • Interests:Reach Your Dream of Becoming a Professional Engineer
  • Discipline:Civil

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:35 AM

Well, if you are doing everything by hand now, then enercalc will be a major boost to productivity. Ideal for design of components... beams, footings, joists, etc. Can handle almost any component in steel, wood, masonry etc. Also does seismic per IBC/ ASCE They really do not do a great job of marketing, though, so you will not see much of them in industry mags, etc. Though they have been around since the 80's when it was on a lotus 1,2,3 platform. Enercalc has a 2D frame analysis aspect that is good for designing steel frames and trusses too.

For large or multi story structures you may want to use one of the 3d analysis programs to handle the multiple loads and load combinations, etc. But I have been in business for 3 years now and the only software I have used is Enercalc. There is a sister program called retainpro that does some extra configurations of retaining walls that enercalc does not handle.

For lateral loadings and analysis I use a fairly simple spreadsheet system I created.

#5 Evo Design

Evo Design

Intern

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:17 PM

You could get a little help by using http://www.onlinestructuraldesign.com. It's a new site for structural design calculations, fairly new concept: web-based software, no installation required,
There are also a lot of other sites that can help you, just search if you don't have the money for expensive software.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

photo
=