snickerd3

Taking suggestions

• Charter Member
  • 19,308 posts
  • Interests:spamming EB.com
  • Discipline:Sorely Lacking

Posted 03 February 2012 - 06:24 PM

http://www.cnn.com/2...tml?hpt=hp_bn10

drs compromising the exam every time it is adminitstered...and they say they don't know how to police it.

#2 Slugger926

Slugger926

Chief Engineer

• Charter Member
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 07:03 PM

Those tests are expensive to make, and determine the pass scores. Engineering exams cost over $100K per question. I bet the medical exam questions would cost nearly the same.

#3 IlPadrino

IlPadrino

Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,835 posts
  • Discipline:Military Engineer

Posted 03 February 2012 - 11:58 PM

Those tests are expensive to make, and determine the pass scores. Engineering exams cost over $100K per question. I bet the medical exam questions would cost nearly the same.

Where's my bullshit button?

#4 Road Guy

Road Guy

35 years and a wakeup

• Admin
  • 14,683 posts
  • Interests:Yoga Pants, Ski!, SCUBA, Backpacking, Kicking Ass, etc
  • Discipline:Construction

Posted 04 February 2012 - 01:28 AM

My brother in law is a doc and he told me they all basically swap out notes and pass on down the line, mainly to their friends and others they went to school with.....

And we are lucky to make half what they make!

#5 Master slacker

Master slacker

Something awesome.

• Veterans
  • 13,218 posts
  • Discipline:Mechanical

Posted 04 February 2012 - 04:10 PM

Soooo.... you don't make fatty money?

#6 jregieng

jregieng

Ninjaneer !!!

• Moderators
  • 11,827 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 02:15 PM

Posted Image

#7 jregieng

jregieng

Ninjaneer !!!

• Moderators
  • 11,827 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 04:31 PM

Actually, in the January/February 2012 issue of PE Magazine published by NSPE, they answer the question, "How much does a question on the various engineering licensing exams cost?" as follows:

FE Exam Item $2,472
PE Exam Item (Group I Exams) $2,921
PE Exam Item (Group II Exams) $2,322
SE Exam Item (Multiple Choice Items) $2,921
SE Exam Item (Free Response Item) $18,083

*Calculation includes travel expenses, subject-matter experts' time, psychometric costs, and office and personnel costs

Do I get g33k points for knowing this? :)

#8 IlPadrino

IlPadrino

Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,835 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 07:31 PM

^
And even those aren't the variable costs of writing just one more question.

#9 Slugger926

Slugger926

Chief Engineer

• Charter Member
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:33 PM

Actually, in the January/February 2012 issue of PE Magazine published by NSPE, they answer the question, "How much does a question on the various engineering licensing exams cost?" as follows:

FE Exam Item $2,472

*Calculation includes travel expenses, subject-matter experts' time, psychometric costs, and office and personnel costs

FE Exam Item $2,472

That varies from the costs given to me which also related to a civil suit against someone stealing exam questions.

#10 IlPadrino

IlPadrino

Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,835 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:58 AM

That varies from the costs given to me which also related to a civil suit against someone stealing exam questions.

And you know what we think of lawyers around these parts! Imagine them padding the damages...

#11 Exception Collection

Exception Collection

Civil P.E., Washington

• Veteran
  • 730 posts
  • Discipline:Structural

Posted 09 February 2012 - 06:25 PM

And you know what we think of lawyers around these parts! Imagine them padding the damages...

I think it makes sense; those are the direct costs for writing the questions.. but then there's going back through and discounting the question from those that took the exam, regrading it, reprinting the next book, being unable to reuse that question in the next exam (limiting choices that may have already been made), investigation costs etc. I can completely believe that it costs 100k.

#12 Slugger926

Slugger926

Chief Engineer

• Charter Member
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:51 PM

I think it makes sense; those are the direct costs for writing the questions.. but then there's going back through and discounting the question from those that took the exam, regrading it, reprinting the next book, being unable to reuse that question in the next exam (limiting choices that may have already been made), investigation costs etc. I can completely believe that it costs 100k.

Not to mention a new cut score meeting for the test due to changing a question. Thirteen engineers plus advisers, plus observers, plus NCEES personnel, plus the cost of the statistical analysis that is outsourced to a company that analyzes the tests for multiple professions. The costs rack up quickly. Just the hotel bill for the professionals along with donated vacation time by the test writers and cut score committees will add up. Airfare or mileage to those meetings will also add thousands.

#13 IlPadrino

IlPadrino

Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,835 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:16 AM

Not to mention a new cut score meeting for the test due to changing a question. Thirteen engineers plus advisers, plus observers, plus NCEES personnel, plus the cost of the statistical analysis that is outsourced to a company that analyzes the tests for multiple professions. The costs rack up quickly. Just the hotel bill for the professionals along with donated vacation time by the test writers and cut score committees will add up. Airfare or mileage to those meetings will also add thousands.

But those aren't the variable costs of developing QUESTIONS. There's no way it costs $100,000 to write one more question.

#14 Capt Worley PE

Capt Worley PE

Run silent, run deep

• Charter Member
  • 24,267 posts
  • Discipline:Mechanical

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:54 PM

But those aren't the variable costs of developing QUESTIONS. There's no way it costs $100,000 to write one more question.

The gov could do that easily!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

photo
=