#1 buddingpe

buddingpe

Intern

• EB.com member
  • 24 posts
  • Discipline:Enviro

Posted 29 January 2012 - 08:38 AM

Friends,

Anyone who have taken CHMM exam ? Any thoughts (certification value, time to study )

I am interested to take the CHMM certification and would like to know if somone has taken this certification.

Thanks.

#2 okeng

okeng

P.E.

• 51 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 04:18 PM

I took the CHMM exam just before I got my Envrironmental PE last fall and thought it was good preparation. I took it because I wanted some way to tangibly demonstrate my skills to my current employer. While I did not get an immediate pay raise I do get more respect for my input and garner a position for future advancement. I feel the certification represents a well rounded understanding of the often complex overlapping regulation and hazardous materials handling. Many of the large companies here require or reccomend certification. If you are looking to stay in this aspect of the environmental industry, I think it would open doors for you as you progress in your career. Besides, it looks cool with PE, CHMM beside your name!

I studied for about 2 or 3 months for the CHMM exam. I read the IHMM and AHMP books cover to cover then used the datachem software I got from a friend to practice test questions. I was pretty prepared so I thougth the exam was pretty easy but you need to really know the subtleties of environmental law and regulation. I thought DOT labling was kind of tought because you dont have a cheat sheet to use during the exam and there are a lot of classification combinations. The injection well classes also seemed to confuse me at first. Typically at work I would refer to a reference for clarification but again you must have memorized. There are a few questions that require a calculator like fate and transport, concentrations, and radiation. Preping for the test and passing really gave me a solid understanding of environmental regulation and managment principals I consider of great value.

#3 Dleg

Dleg

Veteran

• EB Supporting Member
  • 14,454 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 09:50 PM

I've only recently run into this certification after someone's name. What does it stand for?

#4 okeng

okeng

P.E.

• 51 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 10:01 PM

Certified Hazardous Materials Manager - http://www.ihmm.org/

#5 buddingpe

buddingpe

Intern

• EB.com member
  • 24 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:25 PM

Thanks Okeng. appreciate it.

#6 nmeaster

nmeaster

Intern

• EB.com member
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:38 AM

I studied for about 2 or 3 months for the CHMM exam. I read the IHMM and AHMP books cover to cover then used the datachem software I got from a friend to practice test questions. I was pretty prepared so I thougth the exam was pretty easy but you need to really know the subtleties of environmental law and regulation.

Okeng,
I know this post is old, but ...
Did you use the IHMM as a reference for the PE exam. And if so, did you find it valuable?
Thanks for any input!

Mark

#7 okeng

okeng

P.E.

• 51 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:25 PM

Mark, yes I did use the IHMM as a reference for the PE exam.  As I recall I used it to confirm my answer for a non-quantitative question.  I took more books than I needed for the exam but I was familiar with them and it comforted me having them near lol!.  

Edited by okeng, 02 February 2013 - 03:39 PM.

#8 chiko

chiko

Project Manager

• 155 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 04:28 PM

Any one has datachem software. Really need help here. Haroon1034@gmail.com

Edited by chiko, 12 December 2013 - 04:30 PM.

#9 snickerd3

snickerd3

Taking suggestions

• Charter Member
  • 19,781 posts
  • Interests:spamming EB.com
  • Discipline:Sorely Lacking

Posted 12 December 2013 - 04:33 PM

are there annual/semiannual renewals and pdh requirements like the PE with this one?

They were going to host a study prep class and admin the test here a few years ago, but upper management poopooed the whole thing since we would have to allow non agency folks to participate.  

#10 chiko

chiko

Project Manager

• 155 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 05:23 PM

Each application must demonstrate a total of at least 200 CMPs for his/her specific 5-year cycle. 

b. Each application may demonstrate up to 100 CMPs for Active Practice (employment). 
c. Each application must demonstrate at least 100 CMPs for Professional Development. 
d. All CMPs claimed must have been earned during the current 5-year cycle ONLY in order to 
count towards recertification. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

=