13 replies to this topic

#1 Black Star Oblivion

Black Star Oblivion

Intern

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • Discipline:Water Resources

Posted 15 January 2012 - 01:23 AM

What reference materials should I plan on bringing to the exam?
I have:

CERM
CERM problems manual
All-in-One by Goswami
A dictionary

I plan on having only 1 milk crate full of books.
Is it really necessary to have the Metcalf and Eddy wastewater 4th Ed that many our talking about or can I use another reference?

#2 bradlelf

bradlelf

Licensed Professional Engineer

• Supporting Member
  • 203 posts
  • Interests:Hydrology, Hydraulics, Stormwater Management, Land Development, Expert Testimony
  • Discipline:Civil

Posted 17 January 2012 - 01:24 PM

These are the only books I used to pass the general and Water resources exams:

CERM
Applied Hydrology - Chow
Hydraulics textbook
Geotech textbook
Surveying textbook
Environmental Engineering textbook
6 minute solutions - water resources
NCEES practice problems

When i took the exam, people were walking in with dolley's of books; I felt "out gunned" at first. The fact is if you know your stuff you dont need all of those books; you dont have time to look through all of them anyway. Just take books that you know and you are comfortable with.

Edited by bradlelf, 17 January 2012 - 01:25 PM.

#3 wrb129

wrb129

Intern

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 02:52 PM

The books I took to pass the AM and WR:

*CERM
All in One
*Metcalf & Eddy (I personally didn't want to take it and didn't think I'd use it, but I did. If you can get your hands on a copy for free, definitely do it)
Hydraulics Textbook
*6 min. solutions - Env.
NCEES practice problems
Sample exams #1 and #2 from pe-exam.org
*Hydrogeology Textbook
*Water Resources PM reference manual PPI just put out

* = used in the PM section.

#4 Jacob_PE

Jacob_PE

Principal in Charge

• 207 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:39 PM

I took a box of materials with me. The main book you need is the CERM, plus it's index bound separately; part of me wants to say that the CERM is all you need but I did find critical information in other resources throughout the exam. I also had 5 binders with me that were full of example problems that I had neatly worked out myself. One for each morning category, Construction, Geotech, Strucutures, Transportation and Water. These binders helped me recall how to do things step-by-step.

#5 jeb6294

jeb6294

Chief Engineer

• Charter Member
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 02:46 PM

It's been a while, but the only thing I used in the morning was the CERM. I used two milk crates. They stack nicely and you basically have a little bookshelf next to you when you take the exam. I went through the NCEES sample exam more times than I care to think about, but anything I used while doing sample problems went on the top shelf. All the other references went on the bottom shelf as a "just in case" that were basically just used for taking a stab at problems I hadn't solved on the first run through. BTW, not sure what dictionary you're taking but mine was a bottom shelfer. If I couldn't find a definition in the CERM, then it wasn't in the dictionary.

#6 Black Star Oblivion

Black Star Oblivion

Intern

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 01:49 AM

As a reply to my own topic, this is what I brought into the exam with me:

What I used
CERM 11th Edition
All-in-One by Goswami
All-in-One practice Problems by Goswami
A separate 3-ring binder with CERM Index and Appendices and Goswami Index and Environmental Glossary
Six Minute solutions for WR&E
Metcalf and Eddy 3rd edition
School of PE Class Notes for all five disciplines

What I didn't use
CERM problems manual
Water Resources and Environmental Depth manual (useless waste of time and money)
TR-55

Except for a good Hydraulics and Hydrology textbook, which I left in my car, there really is no need to have anything more than what I have listed. The School of PE is Highly recommended by me as they trim the fat and focus on what will be on the test. I studied a total of 200 hours this time around and had about 100 on the first try. Knowinf the CERM intimately is key and doing alot of questions. One other thing that helped was having a study partner. We pushed each other and that is why we both passed the April 2012 exam.

#7 blnfa182

blnfa182

Passed the PE

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 07:04 PM

Introduction to Environmental Engineering by Davis and Cornwell was invaluable. So many look up questions were found in there. PPI water resources depth manual was great for studying, but I didnt open it to often during the exam. Metcalf and Eddy was useless because I never cracked it before the exam. I got mine for $12 on Amazon though, so no big deal. I personally thought most questions in the afternoon did not require a reference. I feel like the afternoon was an exam on how well you could convert units. YOU MUST KNOW: lb/d = mg/l * MGD *8.34. The review course I took was the first place I saw this and they harped on it a lot.

Also, make your own binder to take into the exam with appendicies and frequently used equations. You dont want to have to loo kup Darcy Weisbach every time you need it.

#8 MrAnderson

MrAnderson

Intern

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:04 PM

Here are my references I used to pass my first try:
  • CERM (mainly as a backup to lookup information I wasn't too clear on)
  • All in one - Goswami (Mainly used this book for the bulk of my studies)
  • Hydrology and Floodplain analysis - Bedient (I feel that both books above do not cover hydrology all too well)
  • Metcalf & Eddy Wastewater (I flipped through this book here for terminology and definitions during the test)
  • 2008 and 2011 NCEES problems (I feel were the best representative problems to work on)
  • 6-Minute Solutions (Worked through them once but it was a real pain; I regret spending so much time working these out. Problems were too theoretical but I can't say that I haven't learned anything by working through these)
To note: I took wastewater, solid waste, groundwater contamination, and other environmental courses for my bachlores degree (Civil-Environmental). I feel that the review books I listed were good for the water resources portion of the exam, but I had to heavily rely on some of my past studies for the environmental portion.

Anyways. Best of luck to you all.

#9 zhongguo

zhongguo

Intern

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 02:46 AM

I noticed on ppi2pass, the Civil PE Water Resources & Environmental Package (CWREP3) includes Recommended Standards for Wastewater Facilities (RSSW8), is that book necessary to bring? Thanks.

Taking PE in October 2012. I already have CERM. Based on everyone feedback, I'm going to buy/borrow the following:
  • Six-Minute Solutions for Civil PE Exam Water Resources and Environmental Problems
  • NCEES PE Civil: Water Resources and Environmental Sample Questions & Solutions
  • All-in-One by Goswami
  • All-in-One practice Problems by Goswami
  • Metcalf & Eddy Wastewater
  • School of PE Class Notes for all five disciplines
  • Introduction to Environmental Engineering

#10 dmromero86

dmromero86

Intern

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:50 PM

Zhongguo, now that you've taken the exam and hopefully have your results, can you comment on how the above listed publications served you on the exam. Most useful? Least useful? Which ones you wish you would have spent more time getting familiar with. Which ones you spent too much time with. Etc… Thanks

#11 divs

divs

Civil_PE_Enviro

• 58 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:39 PM

I passed the 8-hour last April in the first try. Here are the references I used:

• CERM
  • All in one - Goswami
  • Metcalf & Eddy Wastewater (useful during the test for some questions)
  • 2008 and 2011 NCEES problems (I feel were the best representative problems to work on)
  • 6-Minute Solutions (not really representative of the questions on the exam, so dont spend too much time on it)
  • Introduction to Environmental Engineering (Cornwell) (one of the most useful books during the test)

Good luck everyone!

#12 rikes

rikes

Intern

• EB.com member
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:18 PM

Passed 1st try in October. I brought way more textbooks than I actually used during the exam.

- CERM12 & All-in-1 (All I used during the morning)

- Water Resources Engineering by Chin (helped with some definitions and explanations)

- Environmental Engineering by Davis & Cornwell (used for some environmental and waste water definitions)

- Equation notebook I prepared

In the afternoon I used the CERM 90% of the time. While the CERM covers closed conduit, open channel, and hydrology adequately there are probably some easily lost points if you don't bring a decent environmental and water/ww treatment reference.

References I brought but never opened: Wastewater Engineering (Metcalf & Eddy), a hydrology book, a soil mechanics book, FE supplied handbook, an engineering/science dictionary, and practice exams/problems solutions.

#13 DanHalen

DanHalen

Intern

• 42 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 06:34 PM

I took the exam this April and didn't pass.  I had all five of the School of PE notebooks, Davis & Cornwell Introduction to Environmental Engineering, and CERM.  There were many qualitative questions that I wasn't able to answer because none of the references I had seemed to have the answers they were looking for.  Based on what everyone on this thread has used and recommended I now have:

• CERM (13th Edition)
  • Water Resources by Chin
  • Introduction to Environmental Engineering by Davis & Cornwell
  • Goswami All-in-One Exam Guide, 2nd Edition
  • Goswami All-in-One Practice Problems
  • NCEES PE Civil: Water Resources and Environmental Sample Questions & Solutions
  • Six-Minute Solutions for Civil PE Exam Water Resources and Environmental Problems
  • School of PE's notebooks (for all five disciplines)

Amazon has some of these books on their website and they sometimes give you a glimpse of the index.  Check out the indexes before you buy and make sure that these books will work for you.  eBay and some of the sellers on Amazon tend to sell some of these books dirt cheap and there is a reason for that; they are an international version.  The international versions seem to be written in English but usually don't look like the book you ordered and the quality is pretty low.  So if you plan to use it a lot you might want to spend a little extra $$$ and get the real thing, otherwise by exam time your book will be duct taped together. 

#14 DanHalen

DanHalen

Intern

• 42 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 12:15 AM

I took the exam this April and didn't pass.  I had all five of the School of PE notebooks, Davis & Cornwell Introduction to Environmental Engineering, and CERM.  There were many qualitative questions that I wasn't able to answer because none of the references I had seemed to have the answers they were looking for.  Based on what everyone on this thread has used and recommended I now have:

• CERM (13th Edition)
  • Water Resources by Chin

Amazon has some of these books on their website and they sometimes give you a glimpse of the index.  Check out the indexes before you buy and make sure that these books will work for you.  eBay and some of the sellers on Amazon tend to sell some of these books dirt cheap and there is a reason for that; they are an international version.  The international versions seem to be written in English but usually don't look like the book you ordered and the quality is pretty low.  So if you plan to use it a lot you might want to spend a little extra $$$ and get the real thing, otherwise by exam time your book will be duct taped together. 

Correction; I now have the following references:

• CERM (13th Edition)
  • *Water Resources Engineering by Linsley, Franzini, Freyberg, & Tchobanoglous*
  • *Hydrology and Floodplain Analysis by Bedient*

Earlier this week I started going through my new copy of Water Resources by Chin and everything in that book was in SI units.  There were no US units whatsoever.  I sent it back and exchanged it for Water Resources Engineering by Linsley, Franzini, Freyberg, & Tchobanoglous.  Like many other Water Resources textbooks I felt that it was pretty light on the hydrology side so I picked up a copy of Hydrology and Floodplain Analysis by Bedient.  Both books seem to be very well written and seem to be helping with some of the Six Minute Solution problems.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Water resources, wastewater, books, reference

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

=