4 replies to this topic

#1 dom650

dom650

Intern

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • Discipline:Civil

Posted 09 January 2012 - 02:57 PM

My College had a co-op/internship program that allowed me to work in my field while I was in school as an intern. I was wondering if this counts towards the 4 years of experience that I'll need to take my PE being as I was still in school during that period. I'm mainly looking to take my PE in DE and was wondering if anyone else did this.

Thanks guys!

#2 Dexman PE

Dexman PE

Most Likely to be Arrested

• Moderators
  • 16,507 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 03:32 PM

In CO, the answer is typically no, but I believe there are exceptions to this. Here, CO considers your bachelor's degree worth 4 years towards your 8 year requirement. They don't count summer internships, nor do they count any extra time if it takes you 5 years to get your degree. I don't know how they would count your time if you were a part time student, or how they treat a 6mo+ internship/co-op.

Call your state board for clarification. They are always willing to answer any questions.

#3 Justin Dickmeyer

Justin Dickmeyer

Intern

• Supporting Member
  • 38 posts
  • Discipline:Mechanical

Posted 09 January 2012 - 03:53 PM

Hey domo,

I hope all is well. The short answer is No. Delaware requires their applicants to submit 4 years of verifiable experience to be eligible for the exam. Of this 4 years, an applicant can claim 1 or 2 years of equivalent experience if they hold a Masters or PhD in engineering. However, if they hold a job during this post graduate work, they can either claim the Degree as experience or the work as experience, not both. Here is a link explaining this is, hope it helps, take care!

https://www.dape.org.../howtoapppe.asp

#4 willsee

willsee

Chief Engineer

• Veteran
  • 1,799 posts
  • Discipline:Electrical

Posted 09 January 2012 - 03:54 PM

The counted my co-op (since it was a mandatory part of my program) and my master degree in Illinois as experience.
They only counted my master degree in Kentucky as experience.

#5 dom650

dom650

Intern

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 06:15 PM

Thanks all!

I sent a email to drape just to confirm as the work was a part of my program (mandatory) and counted as credits towards my degree. I only have my B.S. as well so I can't claim the post grad experience. I don't think that it will be accepted but figured it couldn't hurt to send a quick email. Either way it helped me get my current job so I won't be disappointed if it doesn't count.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: internship, PE, DE, PA, Co-op, Requirements

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

=