You passed, now what?

43 replies to this topic

#1 HP Junkie

HP Junkie

Project Engineer

• 94 posts
  • Discipline:Construction

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:37 PM

Anyone doing anything drastic like quitting their job to start their own firm?
Go on vacation?
Open up one of the good bottles saved for a big celebration?

#2 okeng

okeng

P.E.

• 51 posts
  • Discipline:Enviro

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:09 AM

My friend and I both passed the FE and PE this year back to back on a dark horse chance, both of us out of school for 10+ years. That night after we found out we passed we cracked a bottle of 10 yr old Laphroaig, ate thick juicy rare stakes, smoked Maduros, and told harrowing tales of hours of endless studying and bragging late into the night. We must have been completely obnoxious but those with us soon caught our revelry and joined us in hearty toasts.

The night was through and we still are working in the same positions we started with. All that hard work and no immediate reward is a little frustrating but we both know our work studying for the PE is an investment in our future. We both feel strenghtend in our careers and feel very secure having that PE stamp in our pocket. We are now updating resumes and introducing ourseves to potential employers confidently knowing that we can meet any challenge presented. Update to follow...

#3 addi

addi

Project Engineer

• Supporting Member
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:Surviving Work
  • Discipline:Civil

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:49 AM

I've always felt that I could not really call myself an engineer until I passed the PE. After passing it, I feel more confident and people in general look at you differently. It's funny how a test can change people's perspective. Does passing a test necessarily make you a better engineer? I don't think so. It does reaffirm that one has the basic engineering concepts down. At least that is what this test has done for me. I feel blessed I was able to pass the first time. Promotions and money will come in time. I have finally achieved what I wanted all these years. Now it's time to sit back and relax a bit. Having the PE does provide a sense of security, which I have always wanted.

Gratz okeng. Being out of school for 10 years and being able to pass both tests is pretty amazing. Cheers to all

Edited by addi, 04 January 2012 - 02:33 AM.

#4 chemicalpe

chemicalpe

Project Engineer

• 55 posts
  • Discipline:Chemical

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:57 AM

I had an interview immediately after the PE results were released.

#5 wongdaisiu

wongdaisiu

Project Engineer

• 51 posts
  • Discipline:Mechanical

Posted 04 January 2012 - 04:02 AM

You should relax. I made the mistake of takin classes right after I got my PE last year, and I am beat. Take a year off and enjoy it. You will have plenty of time to stress out when you have to take continuing education classes.

#6 nitestare

nitestare

Intern

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:10 PM

Passing the PE allows me to complete my before 30 bucket list.
  • Pass PE - check
  • Run a 5K
  • Buy a 30 year old single malt scotch.
Onto item #2!

#7 Gordapeak

Gordapeak

Intern

• EB.com member
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:31 PM

Be real careful with stuff like #2 - I started there, and ended up running a marathon! Make sure it can't grow on ya! Now, #3 I love!

#8 TrussGuy85

TrussGuy85

Yep.

• 50 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:40 PM

1) Figure out how to tell my insomnia that the test is over and it's OK to sleep.
2) Do some fishing.
3) Return the favor and nag my wife to study for her PE exam.

#9 Dexman PE

Dexman PE

Evil and Most Likely to be Arrested

• Moderators
  • 17,909 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:16 PM

Shortly after getting my PE back in June 2008, I was given an opportunity to be a project manager for the first time. That first project I had as a PM has evolved over the last couple of years to the point that I found myself on the stand in a theft/fraud case as the prosecution's expert witness in the field of civil engineering and construction management. I testified Friday and through yesterday, and found myself answering questions about when and how I got my PE. Because I got it when I did, and because of how this project has evolved, the defense attorney had no real opportunity to challenge my professional conclusions and testimony.

#10 nitestare

nitestare

Intern

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:59 PM

Be real careful with stuff like #2 - I started there, and ended up running a marathon! Make sure it can't grow on ya! Now, #3 I love!

With a second child on the way, Im hoping a marathond won't be in the cards. #3 has been on my list ever since a buddy gave me a small Johnny Walker sampler for my bachelor party 4 years ago. It included JW Blue. I figure if Im going all out for my 30th, I might as well go with the best I can get. 30 year old single malt!

#11 bobbysev

bobbysev

Intern

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 01:52 PM

I both passed the FE and PE this year back to back with no college degree and two excellent review courses from the School of PE. I highly recommend them as the best way to efficiently review, and if necessary learn.

#12 mevans154

mevans154

Project Manager

• Veteran
  • 611 posts
  • Discipline:Electrical

Posted 06 January 2012 - 02:38 PM

I both passed the FE and PE this year back to back with no college degree and two excellent review courses from the School of PE. I highly recommend them as the best way to efficiently review, and if necessary learn.

How do you get a PE license without a college degree???

#13 Dexman PE

Dexman PE

• Moderators
  • 17,909 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 03:01 PM

^^^^ Lots and lots of experience...

#14 Gordapeak

Gordapeak

Intern

• EB.com member
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 05:29 PM

How do you get a PE license without a college degree???

In Maryland there is an "experience option"; if you have at least 12 years of verifiable engineering experience,along with several personal recommendations from licensed PE's, you are permitted to sit for the PE exam and be licensed. That is the route I took - my BS is actually in Accounting!

#15 azerndt

azerndt

Intern

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:52 PM

Drink - 15 year old Balvenie :D

#16 JohnHu

JohnHu

Intern

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:50 PM

Several states allow for experiance options. They all vary for how much you need. Then there are other states that won't take a technology degree, even if you have a masters on top of it. All depends.

#17 Dexman PE

Dexman PE

• Moderators
  • 17,909 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:57 PM

^^^ The challenge really comes when you have one of those state-specific exemptions (like experience only or a tech degree), then try to get reciprocity/comity in another state. The typical rule of thumb is that you must meet the requirements of the state in which you are applying, the new state may not care that you are currently licensed somewhere else.

#18 Gordapeak

Gordapeak

Intern

• EB.com member
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 05:26 PM

^^^ The challenge really comes when you have one of those state-specific exemptions (like experience only or a tech degree), then try to get reciprocity/comity in another state. The typical rule of thumb is that you must meet the requirements of the state in which you are applying, the new state may not care that you are currently licensed somewhere else.

True - but, if you do 99% federal government work, as we do, all they want is a license from any state. There are several that will do a comity license like this.

#19 biofem2011

biofem2011

Mom, do you use your manners?

• 48 posts
  • Discipline:Water Resources

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:57 PM

May be working on PMP, and facing my PhD (sigh....). Yes, I `m obsessed with the letter P. However, these will not take away my life like the P.E. tried too. :beat: .

My Name, P.E, PMP, PhD.

My kids: Mom, what`s all that P for?
My husband: All the Ps are in her brain.
Me: What in the world are these people talking about?

#20 Dexman PE

Dexman PE

• Moderators
  • 17,909 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:15 PM

I like the designation PMP because it makes people do a double-take, "Did he just call himself an engineering pimp?"

#21 mcb003

mcb003

Intern

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:58 PM

1) Figure out how to tell my insomnia that the test is over and it's OK to sleep.
2) Do some fishing.
3) Return the favor and nag my wife to study for her PE exam.

Item 1) is right on. With no need to study until midnight, I'm in bed at a reasonable hour. But then I'm up after only 5 hours of sleep.
I'd add "reconnect with my family". I took the FE and PE back to back (20 years out of college). I started studying for the FE in August of 2010, so it was around 14 months straight of little time for the wife and kids.

And I also pulled out the special scotch reserved for birth of a child, graduation of child (presumably), marriage of child (presumably)...

#22 okeng

okeng

P.E.

• 51 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 02:21 AM

--If people only knew how hard I work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all. *Michelangelo

Fortune favors the brave.

#23 willsee

willsee

Chief Engineer

• Veteran
  • 1,813 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 02:20 PM

make fatty money

#24 pbrme

pbrme

You look like I...

• Supporting Member
  • 8,428 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:37 PM

With a second child on the way, Im hoping a marathond won't be in the cards. #3 has been on my list ever since a buddy gave me a small Johnny Walker sampler for my bachelor party 4 years ago. It included JW Blue. I figure if Im going all out for my 30th, I might as well go with the best I can get. 30 year old single malt!

I did the JW Blue when I passed. It is good but I doubt $200 good. Save your money, but splurge on the Green. I think it's better

#25 vape2013

vape2013

Intern

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 07:26 PM

If i get a bonus, I'm taking the family on a cruise. 

#26 wvgirl14

wvgirl14

Principal in Charge

• 224 posts
  • Interests:My two boys. My husband and my active 6 year old. My 3 year old little girl. I like to read and fish. My husband tournament fishes and we fish some of the husband-wife tourneys. Love the beach! We live in 4 seasons country, up in the mountains, so it is nice to get away. Also like football (Go Steelers) and college basketball. Like to golf. And Of course WVU fan!

Posted 13 December 2013 - 07:41 PM

Bigger house!!!  The starter house has got to go!

#27 Wesson9

Wesson9

Project Manager

• 111 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 08:02 PM

Your raise will buy you a new house?  That's awesome!  In all seriousness, congrats on passing.

#28 wvgirl14

wvgirl14

Principal in Charge

• 224 posts
  • Interests:My two boys. My husband and my active 6 year old. My 3 year old little girl. I like to read and fish. My husband tournament fishes and we fish some of the husband-wife tourneys. Love the beach! We live in 4 seasons country, up in the mountains, so it is nice to get away. Also like football (Go Steelers) and college basketball. Like to golf. And Of course WVU fan!

Posted 13 December 2013 - 08:07 PM

No my raise is 10k, but I have been buried in studying and didn't want to put the house up until the beast was behind me!!! 

#29 Wesson9

Wesson9

Project Manager

• 111 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 08:11 PM

Well good luck!  I am quite envious that you live in the mountains.  I'm stuck here in crazy Northern Virginia. 

#30 chiko

chiko

Project Manager

• 157 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 08:14 PM

I have a performance evaluation on Monday. i am not expecting anything. may not even mention to my boss since he is not PE. I will be nice to know how people feel after an actual raise.  :fencing:

#31 wvgirl14

wvgirl14

Principal in Charge

• 224 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 08:17 PM

Thanks!  Congrats to you too!  The mountains are great except when you have to commute in the snow!  Good Luck to you as well!

#32 nsgoldberg

nsgoldberg

Project Engineer

• 70 posts
  • Interests:Anything other than studying for the PE.

Posted 16 December 2013 - 03:34 PM

So I haven't received anything from CA yet. The website says I passed the PE, but nothing has been mailed, and if I lookup my name, I'm still not listed.

Any idea when you get your license number? 

#33 JMT

JMT

Project Manager

• 142 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 05:17 PM

So I haven't received anything from CA yet. The website says I passed the PE, but nothing has been mailed, and if I lookup my name, I'm still not listed.

Any idea when you get your license number? 

Somewhere between now and the New Year, probably.  I believe, from reading EB.com postings, license numbers won't be on the 'License Lookup' until the Board updates their system for all PE exams (including Civil State Specific Exams).  We (Civil examinees) are still waiting for the results of the Civil California specific exams.

#34 nsgoldberg

nsgoldberg

Project Engineer

• 70 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 05:36 PM

Damn civils.

#35 JMT

JMT

Project Manager

• 142 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 05:57 PM

Damn Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA) who decided the California Board for Professional Engineers, Land Surveyors, and Geologists should be one of the last Boards to switch over to the new ONLINE system.  A barber can get his license online but a PE has to do it all through the USPS, and wait, wait, wait...  

The new system is called BReEZe and the link is below:

http://www.dca.ca.gov/about_dca/breeze/index.shtml

#36 Jhgeo

Jhgeo

Intern

• EB.com member
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 07:31 AM

• Pass PE - check
  • Run a 5K
Onto item #2!

I would skip item 2 and go directly to item 3

#37 PSU09Vet

PSU09Vet

Project Manager

• 103 posts
  • Discipline:Transportation

Posted 19 December 2013 - 12:54 PM

Damn Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA) who decided the California Board for Professional Engineers, Land Surveyors, and Geologists should be one of the last Boards to switch over to the new ONLINE system.  A barber can get his license online but a PE has to do it all through the USPS, and wait, wait, wait...  

The new system is called BReEZe and the link is below:

http://www.dca.ca.gov/about_dca/breeze/index.shtml

It would be nice to make this process online so it's a little more efficient, then again it's only going on 2014 ... :brickwall:

#38 PSU09Vet

PSU09Vet

Project Manager

• 103 posts
  • Discipline:Transportation

Posted 19 December 2013 - 12:58 PM

• Pass PE - check
  • Run a 5K
Onto item #2!

I would skip item 2 and go directly to item 3

Johnnie Walker Blue Label. A Gentleman's beverage.

#39 jgusa

jgusa

Intern

• EB.com member
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 02:49 PM

Title upgrade from Project Engineer to Account Executive! :mf_bounce8:

Still haven't heard anything from the state (WA), nor am I listed on the online license registration yet.  Playing the waiting game.....

#40 chiko

chiko

Project Manager

• 157 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:08 PM

Jfusa congrats

#41 PeeEee?

PeeEee?

Intern

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:08 PM

I was so sure I screwed up my chances after taking the exam, I told myself that if I somehow managed to pass, I'll buy myself a new motorcycle.

I'm shopping for a new motorcycle. :bananapowerslide:

#42 VTEnviro

VTEnviro

His Memory Eternal

• Retired ADMIN
  • 1,024,469 posts
  • Discipline:Sorely Lacking

Posted 20 December 2013 - 02:25 AM

Grab a beer, don't cost nothin'.

• knight1fox3 likes this

#43 Jdsmith PE

Jdsmith PE

Construction Manager

• 472 posts
  • Discipline:Water Resources

Posted 20 December 2013 - 02:01 PM

9 days in Key West!

#44 nsgoldberg

nsgoldberg

Project Engineer

• 70 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 01:09 AM

Just got an email with my license #. It's now official. :D

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

photo
=