• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 bobbyi11771

bobbyi11771

Startup Manager

• 45 posts
  • Discipline:Electrical

Posted 23 December 2011 - 08:23 AM

After learning that I passed the PE exam yesterday... and telling everyone in my office... someone suggested that I change my signature now to add the PE after my name. I only passed the exam, but have not recieved the license number (NY). What is the protocol??

#2 ptatohed

ptatohed

Chief Engineer

• Supporting Member
  • 1,444 posts
  • Discipline:Civil

Posted 23 December 2011 - 08:36 AM

After learning that I passed the PE exam yesterday... and telling everyone in my office... someone suggested that I change my signature now to add the PE after my name. I only passed the exam, but have not recieved the license number (NY). What is the protocol??

Patience.

#3 Wildsoldier PE

Wildsoldier PE

Principal in Charge

• 265 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 09:46 AM

I guess you can when you know your licence #. If your name appear on the searcheable roster with PE then you can.

(null)

#4 nitestare

nitestare

Intern

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • Discipline:Mechanical

Posted 23 December 2011 - 01:04 PM

I couldn't wait. Already changed mine.

#5 SparkyJ

SparkyJ

Intern

• 36 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 01:22 PM

I'm waiting until I have the license. They take such things very seriously in my state. I don't need to start my professional (licensed) career with an infraction on my permanent record and a fine.

UPDATE: My name is in the online database of licensees as of this morning. I'm a P.E. now! Woo hoo!

Edited by SparkyJ, 23 December 2011 - 01:29 PM.

#6 thwlruss

thwlruss

Project Engineer

• 88 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 01:37 PM

I changed my signature within an hour of getting my results.

#7 willsee

willsee

Chief Engineer

• Veteran
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 01:51 PM

When you have your license number at the very least

#8 JohnHu

JohnHu

Intern

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 01:55 PM

I would say you should wait until you get your official documents from your state.

#9 IlPadrino

IlPadrino

Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,836 posts
  • Discipline:Military Engineer

Posted 23 December 2011 - 03:34 PM

Care to share your real name and state?

#10 blybrook PE

blybrook PE

Veteran 10k Spammer

• Supporting Member
  • 14,903 posts
  • Discipline:Structural

Posted 23 December 2011 - 05:44 PM

It is best to wait until you have your license number from your individual state. Then you're good to go.

#11 HP Junkie

HP Junkie

Project Engineer

• 94 posts
  • Discipline:Construction

Posted 23 December 2011 - 06:20 PM

I updated the signature in my personal email accounts within 20seconds of getting my result. I deleted EIT and inserted PE a bold, font size 12 and made my name font size 8. Then I sent out a mass email wishing everyone a happy holidays..

The following day I hired a Cessna single prop to smoke my name followed by PE in the NYC skyline with PE being 50% larger..

Got some people asking what it stands for and explained I passed my phsyical education test.. :juggle:

#12 Dexman PE

Dexman PE

Most Likely to be Arrested

• Moderators
  • 16,602 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 06:28 PM

I hear Thursdays at 10:25am is the industry accepted time...

#13 thwlruss

thwlruss

Project Engineer

• 88 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 06:33 PM

Care to share your real name and state?

My license # was indicated in my results letter. With it I was able to look up my registration on the Board's website. I was actually registered on the 14th one day before I received the letter.

Francisco Flores, P.E. TX

#14 honeybuns1370

honeybuns1370

Intern

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Discipline:Transportation

Posted 23 December 2011 - 07:15 PM

It totally depends on your state. Some states issue the registration along with releasing the results. In others, like Ohio, you have to submit some final paperwork and pay a final registration fee before the license is actually issued. I received by results on the 14th and can offically call myself a P.E. today because Ohio just issued my license number.

#15 Dexman PE

Dexman PE

Most Likely to be Arrested

• Moderators
  • 16,602 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 07:23 PM

^^^ CO issued PE numbers late yesterday afternoon despite exam results being sent out last week. Until yesterday afternoon, you were only a highly qualified test taker...

#16 thwlruss

thwlruss

Project Engineer

• 88 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 07:55 PM

The TX board has it's shit together

#17 IlPadrino

IlPadrino

Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,836 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 10:52 PM

My license # was indicated in my results letter. With it I was able to look up my registration on the Board's website. I was actually registered on the 14th one day before I received the letter.

That's the difference! Congratulations on your PEness.

#18 aneesu786

aneesu786

Mechanical Engineer

• 109 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 10:52 PM

thwlruss, Texas is pretty efficient. I was able to look you up on the Texas board website. Good Job!!!

I am still waiting for my Pass/ Fail scores to be released, here in Pennsylvania

#19 SparkyJ

SparkyJ

Intern

• 36 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 11:17 PM

Wow. I can't believe people are still waiting to hear their results. I got my results via snail mail seven days ago. Four days ago I sent a check to the state board, and today received my license card in the mail.

#20 mtryan

mtryan

Intern

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 11:06 AM

Technically cannot change until you have an official PE # in that state. I am in PA and passed in MD so I am goign to have to bite my lip for a coupl eof months. PA reciprocity is paper work, paper work, paper work.

#21 JohnHu

JohnHu

Intern

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 01:27 AM

Technically cannot change until you have an official PE # in that state.  I am in PA and passed in MD so I am goign to have to bite my lip for a coupl eof months.  PA reciprocity is paper work, paper work, paper work.

Not sure why you took it in MD but if you are licensed in MD, you can have a PE signature on your business cards, signature, etc. You just can't seal anything in PA.

#22 IlPadrino

IlPadrino

Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,836 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 06:41 PM

Not sure why you took it in MD but if you are licensed in MD, you can have a PE signature on your business cards, signature, etc. You just can't seal anything in PA.

Not that simple... there was some good discussion on here years ago about business cards and signatures and I recall the general conclusion was that you'd need to specify the state you're registered in. But if you had a signature or business card that just read "John Hu, P.E." you'd be in trouble!

#23 solomonb

solomonb

Wise Sage

• 242 posts
  • Discipline:Sorely Lacking

Posted 26 December 2011 - 03:23 AM

You are allright to have PE after your name if the address on your business card is the state in which you are registered. I am registered in Montana and Texas. I have my business cards with our Montana address-- that works. However, If I were to have new business cards for work we do in another state, say Oklahoma and am not registered in Oklahoma, then that is a rule violation and you could get in trouble.

I actually had that happen when I came to Montana. I think I knew that rule, but did not pay attention to it. I had new business cards made for another job that I had with PE on them. Somebody turned me in to the Montana board. I got a "cease and desist" letter. I solved the problem by becoming registered in Montana.--- no further problems. This is attention to detail --- and sadly, I did know it. I just failed to pay attention. At the end of the day, all worked out OK, however, some embarrassment in the middle. Sheer buffoonery on my part! NO EXCUSE for buffoonery.

#24 ellebee2001

ellebee2001

the whole kit & kaboodle

• 51 posts
  • Discipline:Transportation

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:06 PM

You are allright to have PE after your name if the address on your business card is the state in which you are registered. I am registered in Montana and Texas. I have my business cards with our Montana address-- that works. However, If I were to have new business cards for work we do in another state, say Oklahoma and am not registered in Oklahoma, then that is a rule violation and you could get in trouble.

I actually had that happen when I came to Montana. I think I knew that rule, but did not pay attention to it. I had new business cards made for another job that I had with PE on them. Somebody turned me in to the Montana board. I got a "cease and desist" letter. I solved the problem by becoming registered in Montana.--- no further problems. This is attention to detail --- and sadly, I did know it. I just failed to pay attention. At the end of the day, all worked out OK, however, some embarrassment in the middle. Sheer buffoonery on my part! NO EXCUSE for buffoonery.

That is great information to know. Don't know how I didn't think of it prior. I just passed my PE in NJ but I work primarily in PA. I haven't ordered my new business cards or anything, but I'll have to remember this and make sure I don't make a mistake. I've already printed the paperwork for reciprocity in PA... just waiting on my official PE number and whatnot.

Anyway, thanks for the information.

#25 tmacier

tmacier

Project Manager

• 148 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 08:48 AM

I waited until I had my liscense number.
In CT after I received the NCEES letter I had to pay a fee to the state, then they generated a number, then I was a PE.

My offical state liscense date is the date they got the check.

Basically it is my opinion that if you can stamp a print your a PE - very few people would (SHOULD) stamp a print the day after they found out that they passed.

Patience my friends - enjoy the fact that you passed - I still tell my wife "I cant believe I passed"

Tim

#26 Coastal Engineer

Coastal Engineer

Project Engineer

• 51 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 04:53 PM

Wait until you know your state assigned license number.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

=