148 replies to this topic

#51 b_fairmount

b_fairmount

Intern

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Discipline:Transportation

Posted 28 December 2011 - 09:08 PM

I'm just going to start calling them everyday. I dont care if I get the same answers. They are wasting my time by the fact that I need to "keep checking NCEES". I will waste their time answering phone calls. It doesnt make sense why 45+ other states were able to do this already. Im getting tired of people in my office asking me if I passed! Maybe I should get them to call too.

#52 razorsk8er

razorsk8er

Intern

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Discipline:Mechanical

Posted 28 December 2011 - 09:15 PM

I got an email from the state board saying that the results weren't released yet because PCS was having technical difficulties and any further questions I had PCS should be contacted. I then followed up with PCS and they said they weren't aware of what technical issues the state board referenced and said it takes up to 12 weeks to release results and that PA's results simply are not ready yet.

That's the response i got the last time i called PCS earlier today. Just that they're still in the 8-12 week period of having results ready and its a long process that takes time and thanks for waiting but they are working on getting them out.

#53 car196

car196

car196

• Supporting Member
  • 89 posts
  • Discipline:Civil

Posted 28 December 2011 - 09:25 PM

Spoke with PCS again. I was told to keep checking NCEES then in the same breath told that it could take up to 12 weeks from the exam date.

#54 paeng21

paeng21

Intern

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 09:31 PM

Not sure if "keep checking NCEES" is some kind of cruel joke on their part. This is getting ridiculous, I wish they would at least give us a more definitive time frame on when they'll be released.

#55 tdog

tdog

Intern

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 09:45 PM

I was actually told by PCS that it could be late January. She also indicated that this was only week 7 (isn't it almost week 9?). I am very frustrated wtih PCS, I understand that they are frustrated by our inquiries but 12 weeks is a long time to wait.

I if she could explain the reporting process to me, but she said this was something she could not discuss. I didn't expect her to release results just explain the process.

#56 car196

car196

car196

• Supporting Member
  • 89 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 02:00 PM

Right now, I would be happy to know whether the results will be posted be before or after the New Year.

#57 paeng21

paeng21

Intern

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 02:26 PM

Right now, I would be happy to know whether the results will be posted be before or after the New Year.

Maybe if we all badger PCS enough they'll at least let us know that. The person I talked to yesterday said they "should be released anytime now". But I don't really think they have any idea.

#58 chemicalpe

chemicalpe

Project Engineer

• 55 posts
  • Discipline:Chemical

Posted 29 December 2011 - 02:27 PM

good luck guys.

#59 aneesu786

aneesu786

Mechanical Engineer

• 109 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 04:08 PM

Email I got today at 9:47 PM (Thursday) from the PA state board:

Thank you for your recent email inquiry.

Scores are released to individuals by the testing agency. It is the Board’s understanding they are having a technical problem which has caused the delay. Please contact the testing agency at 877-364-3926 to inquire about the scores.

Sincerely,

Meg Greco
Reviewing Officer
STATE BOARD FOR PROFESSIONAL ENGINEERS,
LAND SURVEYORS AND GEOLOGIST
PO BOX 2649
HARRISBURG PA 17105

www.dos.state.pa.us/eng

#60 bradlelf

bradlelf

Licensed Professional Engineer

• Supporting Member
  • 202 posts
  • Interests:Hydrology, Hydraulics, Stormwater Management, Land Development, Expert Testimony

Posted 29 December 2011 - 04:54 PM

I can tell you that PA released about a month after Maryland two years ago when I took the exam. Then it was 5 months from exam date until I received my physical license and number in the mail.

Here's a good adage to know ... If it's thin, you are in.

Your response from the board will only be one sheet of paper if you passed. A large packet (so i have been told) if you did not. So, have a bottle of wine and a bottle or something else a little stronger at home. I know my wife called me and told me the results had come ... got home from work and was met at the door with a bottle of champagne and a thin white envelope. Would have been a bottle and shot glasses if it were a thick envelope.

Here's to hoping you all join the licensed professional ranks.

#61 b_fairmount

b_fairmount

Intern

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 05:47 PM

I can tell you that PA released about a month after Maryland two years ago when I took the exam. Then it was 5 months from exam date until I received my physical license and number in the mail.

so they will be released via the mail and not off the NCEES website? that is not what i heard or understood. PCS said to keep checking NCEES website.

#62 bradlelf

bradlelf

• Supporting Member
  • 202 posts
  • Interests:Hydrology, Hydraulics, Stormwater Management, Land Development, Expert Testimony

Posted 29 December 2011 - 06:37 PM

My PA test results were never released through the NCEES website .. only by mail. I was told that PA did not do that because all of the passing applications had to be approved by the board for their actual license. Things may have changed, but I never heard anything about it.

#63 b_fairmount

b_fairmount

Intern

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 06:47 PM

Just called PCS. They said I will received an email from NCEES regarding the results. She said "they have no idea" on when the results will be released. When I asked why 40+ other states have released their results, she said that they have had the contract for 10 years with PA and PA is just longer and that every state is different. She could not tell me when the results were released last year. She said they have to get the results out between 10 and 12 weeks, which means at the earliest next week at the latest mid jan.

#64 bradlelf

bradlelf

• Supporting Member
  • 202 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 07:04 PM

When you say PCS ... you mean BPOA right?

#65 dussbucs

dussbucs

Project Engineer

• 45 posts
  • Discipline:Structural

Posted 29 December 2011 - 07:05 PM

Everything that PCS is telling us is nonsense. They are just jerking us around. One of my co-workers took the PE Civil in PA on April 8th of this year. NCEES released the results to member boards on May 25th. My co-worker received his passing result via email (i.e., login to check NCEES) on May 26th, the very next day!!! That's a wait time of only 48 days. When I passed the PE Civil back in April of 2009, I was notified by mail in 73 days (just over 10 weeks).

Why it is taking so long for them to release results during this exam administration is quite the mystery. I'm still waiting on results for the SE Vertical and PCS is holding me hostage from obtaining reimbursement for expenses, nearly $2,000 worth (exam fee, online class, etc.)

#66 JohnHu

JohnHu

Intern

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 07:07 PM

This is BS. In 2004, the results were released on 12/21. I received the results before christmas via mail (it wasn't electronic then). The 12/21 matches the date on my license of "Initial Licsence Date". Now granted it took several months to get the actual license.

The date 12/21/04 corresponds to the 3rd Wed of the month when the engineering board meets. Is this coincidence?

I suspect somebody is telling you guys the entire story. I suspect that the results may not be released and license not issued until after the next board meeting which is January 18.

#67 paeng21

paeng21

Intern

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 07:29 PM

According to an older post on this forum, October 2010 test results were released January 5, 2011 for PA. So maybe we'll get them sometime around the middle of next week.

#68 b_fairmount

b_fairmount

Intern

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 07:31 PM

When you say PCS ... you mean BPOA right?

What BPOA?

#69 bradlelf

bradlelf

• Supporting Member
  • 202 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 07:35 PM

BPOA - Bureau of Professional and Occupational Affairs

http://www.dos.state...licensing/12483

The state board is a division of BPOA for PA. It is where you go to vcerify your license.

http://www.portal.st...eologists/12510

#70 b_fairmount

b_fairmount

Intern

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 08:34 PM

PCS administers the results of the test. The board doesn't have anything to do with the testing results.

In fact the issue is, from what I have gathered, is that the state doesn't even have the results yet. PCS hasn't released the results to the state and the examinees.

The BPOA will issue the license but PCS is in charge of collecting the results from NCEES. The state board then issues the license and license number. Getting a license number and license from the state is ANOTHER 90+ day process after PCS releases the results.

What I don't understand is NCEES knows if you passed or failed for every PE applicant in the entire country. Its not like PCS and/or the state is trying to decide what the results are or what pass/fail grade should be; NCEES does that. Why doesn't NCEES just release the results on its website, using its log-in to the examinees and then let the state or its 3rd party follow with the licence?

#71 bradlelf

bradlelf

• Supporting Member
  • 202 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 01:14 PM

Ahh ... i did not know about PCS. The only way to get the results was from the board when I took it.

#72 car196

car196

car196

• Supporting Member
  • 89 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 02:03 PM

Sadly, I don't expect the results today. I am starting to think that they will take their full twelve weeks. :(

#73 rhorv373

rhorv373

Intern

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Discipline:Enviro

Posted 30 December 2011 - 03:11 PM

9 weeks ago... Happy Anniversary everyone... Ugh

#74 dom650

dom650

Intern

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 04:58 PM

I honestly think that at this point PCS is intentionally withholding our grades because of the constant phone calls and emails. The "every state is different and PA just takes longer" just doesn't make sense being as every other state that PCS works with has had their results released over a week ago. How could it possibly take this much longer for them to process the results? So, it's either they're all in vacation mode until after New Years or the phone and email thing. To which my response is that we should call and email them even more :)

#75 Rebelboilers

Rebelboilers

Intern

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 03:52 PM

Before I try calling PCS today, does anyone have any recent info that might help in the phone conversation.
I just want to put all this behind me. :(

#76 aneesu786

aneesu786

Mechanical Engineer

• 109 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 05:41 PM

Good Luck! Please let us know about your conversation.

Points of argument:
  • PA is one of the last states to get results
  • Why such a long delay, we have right to know the reason for the delay since we paid all these fees to PCS and NCEES
  • This is the 10th week since our exam, and we need to register and prepare for the next exam in case we have failed.
  • Our employers are waiting for the results also, since they do their "yearly" budget planning and our raises can be dependent on the results if we pass
Hope this helps!

#77 car196

car196

car196

• Supporting Member
  • 89 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 06:02 PM

I agree. I feel as though since we pay the fees, they have an obligation to provide us with the reason for the delay. Also, does anyone know exactly how many states have not yet provided results?

Edited by car196, 02 January 2012 - 06:19 PM.

#78 Rebelboilers

Rebelboilers

Intern

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 06:38 PM

Just our luck. PCS is closed today for the holidays, so is NCEES. I will call back tomorrow morning, they're supposed to open at 7am, we'll see.

#79 aneesu786

aneesu786

Mechanical Engineer

• 109 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 07:52 PM

Thanks, Rebelboilers, I am waiting for my Mechanical results too, I took the MD depth section , how did you feel about the exam?

#80 Rebelboilers

Rebelboilers

Intern

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 08:31 PM

no problem, Aneesu786, we're all in this together to get some closure to some end. I took the Thermal and Fluids section (thought felt like the HVAC section).

I'm probably borderline, anywhere between 54 and 64, but I hope at least 56 and PASSED!

Maybe we'll find out tomorrow after PCS is finished watching today's Bowl games, we couldn't expect them to miss the Rose Bowl or the other Bowl Games with Big Ten teams playing. Here's to "Tomorrow", may it be a pleasant surprise.

#81 aneesu786

aneesu786

Mechanical Engineer

• 109 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 08:42 PM

Rebelboilers,

I felt like I passed when I left the test center, but that confidence has slowly disappeared with time. I know I got alot of questions right, but I hope it was enough to pass. I forgot to take the Roark's book, which made me miss one question definitely.

Good luck and God help us all in PA! Happy new year (hopefully~~)

#82 Kevin Tsang

Kevin Tsang

Intern

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 09:19 PM

I checked the license lookup on the the CA BPELS website and my name came up. Does this mean I passed? I have a license number listed. Only thing that gets me is the expiration date is listed as March 2012.

Edited by Kevin Tsang, 02 January 2012 - 09:20 PM.

#83 aneesu786

aneesu786

Mechanical Engineer

• 109 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 09:40 PM

Kevin,

You took the PE exam in California, and those results are available. Unfortunately, we are discussing the results that are not out yet in Pennsylvania (PA).

Good Job, by the way.

#84 SAEngineer

SAEngineer

Project Engineer

• 43 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 11:49 PM

I checked the license lookup on the the CA BPELS website and my name came up. Does this mean I passed? I have a license number listed. Only thing that gets me is the expiration date is listed as March 2012.

Yes it means you passed. Your intial license is valid until March 2012 whereafter you will have to pay $125 to renew your license for two years. I also passed CA PE Mech T&F. Sorry for the mini hijack of this thread :rolleyes: . Come on PA!! we are all rooting for you

#85 car196

car196

car196

• Supporting Member
  • 89 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 02:58 PM

I called PCS this morning. I was told repeatedly that they have 12 weeks to post the resuts. Has anyone gotten anything different from them recently?

#86 Rebelboilers

Rebelboilers

Intern

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 03:10 PM

I also called this morning, and it was also a useless phone con. She said that they are working hard on "reconciling" the test scores, and that Pennsylvania is a large state and it's taking time. I asked her what "reconciling" means, and she bumbled around "reconciling the test scores to match the NCEES". Shouldn't this be done, or shouldn't it take just a couple hours? They should all be back from holiday vacation by now, and getting back to work.

#87 paeng21

paeng21

Intern

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 04:30 PM

Seems like FE results for PA haven't been released yet and I think they usually come out first. We might have a while to go.

#88 paeng21

paeng21

Intern

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:11 PM

I think PCS's timeline of 10-12 weeks after the exam is related to NCEES's policy of releasing the results 8-10 weeks after the exam with a 2 week delay built in for PCS to release results. Since NCEES released the exam results after 7 weeks you wouldn't think that PCS would need 3 to 5 weeks to "reconcile" the scores. Why can't someone from PCS just explain what's going on instead of giving the same bs when everyone calls? I can't believe how frustrating this process is.

#89 aneesu786

aneesu786

Mechanical Engineer

• 109 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:19 PM

Yea, its super frustrating! Believe me I am boiling with rage right now!

#90 pacivilstructural

pacivilstructural

Intern

• 41 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:42 PM

I pity the fool, aneesu786. (oh wait I am one)

#91 aneesu786

aneesu786

Mechanical Engineer

• 109 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 02:21 AM

:)

#92 addi

addi

Project Engineer

• Supporting Member
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:Surviving Work

Posted 04 January 2012 - 02:35 AM

I feel for you guys. Can't believe you are still waiting :beat:

#93 JohnHu

JohnHu

Intern

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:58 PM

Today's the day. I have a feeling because it is a cold day in hell. :wave2:

#94 car196

car196

car196

• Supporting Member
  • 89 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:05 PM

It's funny 'cause it's true :P

Edited by car196, 04 January 2012 - 01:05 PM.

#95 ROBIAMEIT

ROBIAMEIT

Project Engineer

• 84 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 03:19 PM

back in 2009 i took the Spring exam and got my results by mail over the 4th of July weekend.

it IS true . . . if its THIN you're IN!! . . . ONE piece of paper is all thats in that envelope!

if you didnt pass its full of crap . . . i didnt even open the one i got before i passed for a week or two . . .it was really full of crap . . .

freind of mine took the PE exam last fall and he knew results before New Years

#96 JohnHu

JohnHu

Intern

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 03:58 PM

I received this e-mail today from the PA board as a response from an e-mail last week:

"Thank you for your recent email inquiry.

The testing agency sends out the test results. It is our understand they have a technical problem and will mail the results as soon as the problem is resolved."

#97 rhorv373

rhorv373

Intern

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Discipline:Enviro

Posted 04 January 2012 - 04:14 PM

Well said...

#98 Rebelboilers

Rebelboilers

Intern

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 04:27 PM

JohnHu, I just called PCS to verify how the results will be issued to us. She responded that as far as she knows, the results will still be available on NCEES, and that if that changes then we will get an email. I asked her to direct me to someone who might really know if the plan had changed, she said there was no one.

I'm so frustrated at their appearance of "Professionalism". This is not accepted in my line of work by any means. No one there can give us good acceptable answers and they're keeping us in the dark like we're school children. This is crazy.

#99 dom650

dom650

Intern

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:27 PM

JohnHu, I just called PCS to verify how the results will be issued to us. She responded that as far as she knows, the results will still be available on NCEES, and that if that changes then we will get an email. I asked her to direct me to someone who might really know if the plan had changed, she said there was no one.

I'm so frustrated at their appearance of "Professionalism". This is not accepted in my line of work by any means. No one there can give us good acceptable answers and they're keeping us in the dark like we're school children. This is crazy.

I agree with you Rebel. If they were having some sort of technical issue then why not just tell us so. If I knew why I had to wait this long the entire process would be much less frustrating.

#100 jstaph

jstaph

Intern

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:30 PM

another day of disappointment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

=