How is everyone making out?

60 replies to this topic

#51 Trev... P.E.

Trev... P.E.

Pump it up!

• 239 posts
  • Discipline:Mechanical

Posted 01 November 2011 - 09:48 PM

Took TF for the first time and, like my experience with the FE, was completely spent after around 3 hours in the afternoon, barely generating the energy to check I'd bubbled the answer I'd arrived at. I think the morning went pretty well, the afternoon certainly did not spend much time on my strengths, but I think I did enough to pass. Had a few times where my answer wasn't there, and after checking and re-checking my work I'd had to pick the closest one that wasn't quite close enough to feel confident about. Guess I'll find out in 8-10 weeks... Here's hoping for the 8, because if they miss that, the 10 is never going to happen with the holidays.

#52 WV_Boiler

WV_Boiler

Project Engineer

• 56 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 02:14 AM

Jamiecta, I also guessed on only 1 of the 80. It was in the afternoon of the Machine Design Depth.

#53 eselcen

eselcen

Intern

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 02:30 AM

HVAC&R
ran out of time at AM portion
bubbled 8 without even reading the question
PM was definetely better for me
bubbled 3-4
I am not sure what is going to happen now
I read cut score cut off score etc and try to figure out how many correct answers are required to pass

#54 WV_Boiler

WV_Boiler

Project Engineer

• 56 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 05:00 PM

I figure that 52 is a fail, 53-54 is hold your breath, 55 is probably OK. 56 you are probably in the clear.

#55 eselcen

eselcen

Intern

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 02:13 PM

I figure that 52 is a fail, 53-54 is hold your breath, 55 is probably OK. 56 you are probably in the clear.

I am confused. please see the link below.

http://engineerboard...pic=14532&st=50

posts #57&#58

post #58 states that 48/80 is enough for passing

go figure???

Edited by eselcen, 10 November 2011 - 02:26 PM.

#56 jamiecta

jamiecta

Intern

• 46 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 03:06 PM

I believe it changes every year. Also 48/80 is extremely low...In all honesty I wouldn't want the passing score to be 48/80.

You are only picking and choosing a few posts out of that thread. There are people in that same thread who stated they got 53/80 and did NOT pass.

#57 tmacier

tmacier

Project Manager

• 148 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 03:15 PM

All -

I have been where you are right now -

Dont even bother trying to figure what you need to pass - it has been presented as being different every time - NCEES may disregard a problem or two, they may allow multiple answers, ect -

They develope a cut score, they do not tell you what it is, they will inform you of your results in a pass/fail letter.

It is my understanding that the fail letter will come with a breakdown to help you study for the next exam. This breakdown was very valuable to me on my fail as it clearly showed me the areas I was weak in.

If you fail review the breakdown and study your weak areas - if you pass celebrate!

I still cannot believe that I passed - but I do have the license hanging right in my office below my degree!

Relax for at least another six weeks.

Tim

#58 maryannette

maryannette

Wise One

• Charter Member
  • 10,591 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 03:35 PM

Correct, tmacier. Not passing is not the end of the world. I passed on 4th attempt. Worrying will not change result and it's not healthy. Let it go for now and relax.

#59 eselcen

eselcen

Intern

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 02:16 AM

I believe it changes every year. Also 48/80 is extremely low...In all honesty I wouldn't want the passing score to be 48/80.

You are only picking and choosing a few posts out of that thread. There are people in that same thread who stated they got 53/80 and did NOT pass.

only these guys are mechanical that is why I picked them.

All -

I have been where you are right now -

Dont even bother trying to figure what you need to pass - it has been presented as being different every time - NCEES may disregard a problem or two, they may allow multiple answers, ect -

They develope a cut score, they do not tell you what it is, they will inform you of your results in a pass/fail letter.

It is my understanding that the fail letter will come with a breakdown to help you study for the next exam. This breakdown was very valuable to me on my fail as it clearly showed me the areas I was weak in.

If you fail review the breakdown and study your weak areas - if you pass celebrate!

I still cannot believe that I passed - but I do have the license hanging right in my office below my degree!

Relax for at least another six weeks.

Tim

I see.
If they allow multiple answers and if they disregard problems (I think there will be one in PM HVAC section or it may be my lack of understanding) then the score will change

Anyway even though it is unhealty I cannot sit back and enjoy the time
It is like waiting a reply from your first date back in your school days
I guess we only have six more weeks to wait

#60 Outlaw44

Outlaw44

Project Engineer

• 92 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:42 PM

They really seemed to shy away from the kinds of questions that 6MS, NCEES, and Lindeburg focused on and put an emphasis on in their practice tests which caught me off guard at first.

Jamiecta: Did NCEES not administer your exam? I'm curious because you said your exam problems were not similar to the 6MS, NCEES, and MERM problems. Just wanted to clarify, as it seems most agree that the NCEES practice exams are indicative of the exam they took.

4 weeks to go until the April exam! Wooooot wooooooooot! I started taking the MERM practice exam a couple nights ago. I actually have an electronic version of the morning from an older edition of the book and then the full practice exam that goes with the most recent edition. Since most agree that the MERM test is more difficult than the NCEES and/or the real thing, my plan is to start with it and complete the NCEES exams (2001 and 2008/2010) b/t now and exam day. I have not been timing myself, just trying to work through the problems. They are a real pain in the arse and hopefully, significantly more difficult than the actual exam.

To get back at the OP,
- I finished the MERM chapters and practice problems a couple of days ago
- Spending 2-3 hrs every weeknight and about 6-8 hrs on the weekend (~20hrs/week total)
- Plan for the next four weeks is to finish the MERM practice test, 2001 NCEES and 2008 NCEES tests. Oh, I have a Kaplan practice exam as well. I might leave the 2008 NCEES test for last and use it as the simulated test (take it without looking at it before, under real time constraints).
- redo practice tests and/or practice problems to polish up any (read as: the shit ton of) weak areas
- of course, keep tabbing and getting more and more familiar with where important info is.

#61 Krakosky

Krakosky

Tank Ass

• Supporting Member
  • 2,088 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:10 PM

I'm working thru the last few MD chapters in the MERM companion book. I saved the MD section for last bc it's my depth area but am starting to worry ill be cutting it down to the wire to get thru all of the problems. I have been doing most of the problems for each chapter but I might just have to do a few and then go back to my weak areas later. While doing the practice problems I have also been tabbing my references. My plan is to hopefully finish up the MERM MD problems this week, then spend the next couple weeks refreshing myself on the other breadth sections and taking timed practice exams on the weekends. I have the NCEES 2001, 2008/2010 and a 3rd party exam. Hopefully 3 timed exams will help me get my speed down. Up until this point I have not been timing myself but just focusing on doing the problems correctly. I have been putting in 30-35 hours/week the past couple of months. I didn't keep track of my hours prior to February but was probably putting in about 15 hrs/week. I don't feel burned out yet but definitely feel in a constant state of tired and that time is running out. Contemplating if I should even bother with the MERM practice exam since everyone has said it is much harder than the actual exam.

I hope all this studying and lack of sleep pays off...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

=