#1 PowerEngineer

PowerEngineer

Intern

• EB.com member
  • 9 posts
  • Discipline:Electrical

Posted 28 July 2011 - 07:54 PM

Hello all,

I have a BS in electrical engineering technology through Purdue University. I am currently earning a master of engineering in electrical engineering, while working as a full time engineer. I have passed the FE, and am eligible for the PE next year.

How do you think I will be viewed when applying for future engineering positions? Many jobs that I would be interested in require a BS in electrical engineering. I will have a BS in a closely related field, an Master of Engineering in electrical engineering, and my PE license. But I will not have that BS in electrical engineering.

Should I be worried at all, or will my other qualifications outshine my bachelor degree? Any opinions would be appreciated.

#2 Dark Knight

Dark Knight

Silent Guardian

• EB Supporting Member
  • 7,537 posts
  • Discipline:Sorely Lacking

Posted 28 July 2011 - 09:45 PM

QUOTE (PowerEngineer @ Jul 28 2011, 03:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello all,

I have a BS in electrical engineering technology through Purdue University. I am currently earning a master of engineering in electrical engineering, while working as a full time engineer. I have passed the FE, and am eligible for the PE next year.

How do you think I will be viewed when applying for future engineering positions? Many jobs that I would be interested in require a BS in electrical engineering. I will have a BS in a closely related field, an Master of Engineering in electrical engineering, and my PE license. But I will not have that BS in electrical engineering.

Should I be worried at all, or will my other qualifications outshine my bachelor degree? Any opinions would be appreciated.

You will be The Man!!!!

#3 frazil

frazil

Master of the Boondoggle

• Moderators
  • 6,481 posts
  • Discipline:Civil

Posted 29 July 2011 - 12:11 AM

QUOTE (Dark Knight @ Jul 28 2011, 05:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You will be The Man!!!!

plusone.gif

#4 PowerEngineer

PowerEngineer

Intern

• EB.com member
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 02:18 AM

Well I'm glad to hear that haha. I'll see if I can get that on a business card.

John Doe, PE, The Man

#5 jregieng

jregieng

Ninjaneer !!!

• Moderators
  • 11,827 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 02:39 PM

A few opinions, FWIW --

1. Once you get away from college, most people aren't scrutinizing your education to the degree of splitting hairs over an engineering technology degree vs. engineering degree;

2. The fact that you are able to obtain a Professional Engineer license indicates that the Accreditation Board of Engineering and Technology (ABET) has determined that your education meets the minimum requirements for engineering curriculum; and

3. At the end of the day most people want you to be able to do the job that you say you can do - perfomance >> degree IMHO.

Good luck John Doe, PE, The Man

JR

#6 JohnHu

JohnHu

Intern

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • Discipline:Civil

Posted 18 October 2011 - 12:48 AM

However, there are a handful of states that even with a Master's, you will not be able to get licensed because of the technology degree.

#7 engineergurl

engineergurl

Resident Sweet Cheeks

• Charter Member
  • 10,134 posts
  • Discipline:Engineering Groupie

Posted 18 October 2011 - 07:46 PM

JohnHu is correct... there are a few states that just don't consider people who followed a non-traditional education path :) but you will still be the man...

#8 richardw0000

richardw0000

Intern

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 06:32 PM

Generally speaking, your MSEE will supersede your BSEET, so you should be okay.

#9 Dark Knight

Dark Knight

Silent Guardian

• EB Supporting Member
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 09:03 PM

Sometimes I do not understand some questions. You would think that common sense will be enough but, nope, common sense it is not that common nowadays.

#10 shezadeh

shezadeh

Intern

• EB.com member
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:42 AM

My supervisor has a BSEET, and he could (but didn't) get a PE if he wanted to.  I think many states also recognize other states' PE licenses, so I wouldn't worry. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

=