Comity in Oregon

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leftturn72

Reaction score
I just passed the PE exam, and now I may need to also get a PE license in Oregon. Has anyone gone through the comity application process in Oregon? Is it advisable to establish an NCEES record first? Does OR accept the NCEES record? How long can I expect it to take?

Thanks in advance for any adivce/help!

I'm also curious about the NCEES record. I hear it;'s cheaper if done w/in one year of passing.

Has anyone recently dealt w/ getting their NCEES record?

I'm also curious about the NCEES record. I hear it;'s cheaper if done w/in one year of passing.

Yes, it's only $100 within the first year of beign licensed, then it goes up to $150

I just did it. I haven't applied for my 2nd state, but the NCEES record process was quick and painless.

There's a big thread about the NCEES Record somewhere on EB. But to answer your question, yes lots of people have dealt with it recently, and it is worth it.

I have mine.. It will usually cut down the application process by 80-90%. For example, i haven't had to send out my college transcripts to any other states yet since they accept the NCEES record for that.

Although some states are a pain and you still have to jump through some hoops. Usually you can go to any states PELS website and it will give you detailed instructions on how to apply through comity.

Do I need to gather the same info such as experience verifications, and track down former employers as I did during the application process, or is it less painful.

Thx

Do I need to gather the same info such as experience verifications, and track down former employers as I did during the application process, or is it less painful.
Thx
For most states, it would be the last time you have to do it.

Thought I would chime in here since I read the thread that wilheldp_PE was referring to. Based on the feedback in that thread in addition to feedback I received from some of my co-workers, I was convinced that obtaining an NCEES record would certainly speed up the comity process. Provided one plans to obtain licensure in states other than their home state. Again, it also depends on whether the state you are applying to will accept an NCEES record. I started my application process on 1/19/11 and it is still pending. Basically, the NCEES record application is very similar to the PE application. You need to provide college transcripts, 5 PE references, appropriate references for engineering work experiences (including current), state board verification of FE and PE exam results and corresponding licensure. So far the process is moving right along and NCEES is good at updating the record application status online.

Thought I would chime in here since I read the thread that wilheldp_PE was referring to. Based on the feedback in that thread in addition to feedback I received from some of my co-workers, I was convinced that obtaining an NCEES record would certainly speed up the comity process. Provided one plans to obtain licensure in states other than their home state. Again, it also depends on whether the state you are applying to will accept an NCEES record. I started my application process on 1/19/11 and it is still pending. Basically, the NCEES record application is very similar to the PE application. You need to provide college transcripts, 5 PE references, appropriate references for engineering work experiences (including current), state board verification of FE and PE exam results and corresponding licensure. So far the process is moving right along and NCEES is good at updating the record application status online.
Just received my record number today (2/18/11) so the whole process took about 1 month. :thumbs:

Just received my record number today (2/18/11) so the whole process took about 1 month. :thumbs:

You need to paid the fee to NCEES record "Every Year" until you don't want it or you retired.

If you have passed your FE and PE in A state that you want your license in B state. You can do the NCEES record in fast way but you need to pay the fee to NCEES record and the renew fee to both the A and B states to maintain your license every year.

If you do not pay the NCEES record fee every year that your license will be temporay suspend until you renew.

I am currently go through the comity...because I don't want to keep paying to NCEES records, state A and state B every year.

Comity should do with in 3 months, and NCEES might do in 1 month. But the 2 months diferent can save you so much money from paying the NCEES record Fee and state A renew fee. You just need to renew the state B license.

P.S. I am not saying that comity is good or the NCEES record is bad...but the thing is how many states that you need to be licensed!!!If you just want to maintain 1 license in 1 state..that doing comity is better. If you want more than 2 states license that NCEES record is better.

Last edited by a moderator:
You need to paid the fee to NCEES record "Every Year" until you don't want it or you retired.
If you have passed your FE and PE in A state that you want your license in B state. You can do the NCEES record in fast way but you need to pay the fee to NCEES record and the renew fee to both the A and B states to maintain your license every year.

If you do not pay the NCEES record fee every year that your license will be temporay suspend until you renew.

I am currently go through the comity...because I don't want to keep paying to NCEES records, state A and state B every year.

Comity should do with in 3 months, and NCEES might do in 1 month. But the 2 months diferent can save you so much money from paying the NCEES record Fee and state A renew fee. You just need to renew the state B license.

P.S. I am not saying that comity is good or the NCEES record is bad...but the thing is how many states that you need to be licensed!!!If you just want to maintain 1 license in 1 state..that doing comity is better. If you want more than 2 states license that NCEES record is better.
I see your points. However, I work in the nuclear industry. As there are many nuclear plants throughout the U.S. in which we do business with, I will most likely need to apply for comity in those respective states for the projects I work on. An NCEES record will help to speed up this process. And my employer has and will reimburse for any NCEES expenses. Including the expenses to establish the record. So no cost to me was an easy decision. :)

Back