Photo

I passed, now where to get PE rubber stamp?

39 replies to this topic

#1 arcat

arcat

Intern

• Members
  • 29 posts
  • Discipline:Electrical

Posted 05 January 2011 - 01:28 PM

So, I need to get my rubber stamp now in order to get my certificate. I saw some places online to buy them, is that the way to go?

#2 Titus Barik

Titus Barik

Intern

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 01:29 PM

QUOTE (arcat @ Jan 5 2011, 08:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So, I need to get my rubber stamp now in order to get my certificate. I saw some places online to buy them, is that the way to go?

I ordered mine yesterday at engineeringseals.com. They seem to be well recommended around here.

#3 cableguy

cableguy

Has never sniffed a stink bug

• Veteran
  • 550 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 01:34 PM

I ordered my seal from Engineerseals.com on Monday, got it yesterday (I'm only 1 day ground shipping away). Quick, for sure!

#4 DVINNY

DVINNY

2-time 10K winner

• Admin
  • 14,608 posts
  • Discipline:Civil

Posted 05 January 2011 - 01:50 PM

EngineerSeals.com

I have the Self-Inking IDEAL 5742 Series..... ooooohhh baby !!! biggrin.gif

#5 roadwreck

roadwreck

Probie-one, PE

• Moderators
  • 9,580 posts
  • Discipline:Sorely Lacking

Posted 05 January 2011 - 03:14 PM

QUOTE (DVINNY @ Jan 5 2011, 08:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
EngineerSeals.com

I have the Self-Inking IDEAL 5742 Series..... ooooohhh baby !!! biggrin.gif

do you enjoy self-inking DV?

#6 DVINNY

DVINNY

2-time 10K winner

• Admin
  • 14,608 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 03:15 PM

I enjoy self-inking with my PE-ness very much

#7 Wes

Wes

Project Engineer

• 56 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 03:52 PM

QUOTE (cableguy @ Jan 5 2011, 07:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I ordered my seal from Engineerseals.com on Monday, got it yesterday (I'm only 1 day ground shipping away). Quick, for sure!

Ditto on the quickness of engineerseals.com. I ordered mine yesterday morning and they had shipped it by the afternoon - should be waiting at home for me after work!! biggrin.gif

#8 Sharon

Sharon

Intern

• 44 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 04:08 PM

QUOTE (DVINNY @ Jan 5 2011, 10:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I enjoy self-inking with my PE-ness very much

You are bad, bad, bad DVINNY!!! smile.gif

#9 PE-Hope

PE-Hope

Baba Ganouj

• 169 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 04:15 PM

Rubbers, I usually get from local corner stores. Stamp, I never had to order because I failed 3 times and waiting for the results of #4.

mf_bounce8.gif

#10 MrAnderson41

MrAnderson41

Project Engineer

• 84 posts
  • Discipline:Mechanical

Posted 05 January 2011 - 08:57 PM

In addition in where to get the seal what kind of seal is recommended? I work for a utility and am a ME so I really don't see myself using it every day to stamp a stack of drawings. I was thinking embosser but everyone else at work has a stamp. I think it's due to cost. What do you guys like/prefer/recommend?

#11 roadwreck

roadwreck

Probie-one, PE

• Moderators
  • 9,580 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 09:40 PM

I've only ever used my electronic seal. It makes "stamping" plan sets so much easier.

#12 MrAnderson41

MrAnderson41

Project Engineer

• 84 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 11:53 PM

QUOTE (SapperPE @ Jan 5 2011, 04:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It depends on your state. Virginia only allows a rubber stamp, not an embosser. Some places allow either. Sometimes the embosser is more of a novelty for folks who want something more classy on their desk... it just depends.

I'm in Michigan and I beleive they allow either. Obviously I know it's a personal preference but I was kind of wondering what others in my situation preferred (i.e. not going to be stamping a bunch of drawings and could chose either a stamp or embosser).

#13 DASmith

DASmith

Intern

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 08:33 PM

I've only ever used my electronic seal. It makes "stamping" plan sets so much easier.

I've also only used the digital. Can't really imagine using the stamp itself. I put it in the border xref and it shows up on all the pages.

I got the pre-inked and jpg from www.engineeringseals.com. They let you do a little customization for the CA stamp (ie, one/two circles, expiration are options) that I haven't seen others do.

#14 R2KBA

R2KBA

True Believer

• 107 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:05 PM

Nevermind - didn't notice the dates on this thread.

Edited by R2KBA, 03 January 2012 - 09:08 PM.

#15 ptatohed

ptatohed

Chief Engineer

• Supporting Member
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:36 PM

What do you mean you need to get your stamp to get your cert?

QUOTE (arcat @ Jan 5 2011, 08:28 AM)

I ordered mine yesterday at engineeringseals.com. They seem to be well recommended around here.

I think you mean engineerseals.com

#16 alnorman

alnorman

Intern

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 02:07 AM

What License number do i give to the Stamp Vendor ?

Is it one issued by the State ( Ca in my case)

or is it the NCEES ID # ?

#17 romdrv56

romdrv56

Intern

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 02:31 AM

i got it from acorn (http://www.acornsale...t2/merchant.mvc).
they send me electronic seal next day that i'd be able to put it on pdf to send to txbpe board for approval.

#18 CERaider

CERaider

Intern

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 03:13 AM

I ordered a pre-inked seal from engineerseals.com on Thursday. My company provides their engineers with a self-inking stamp, but several guys I know have a pre-inked and the quality and ease of use makes it far better than the self-inking (IMO), so I went ahead and ordered it myself. I will probably use an electronic seal 99% of the time. My office has an electronic template that makes it real easy to change the name/license number, so it didn't need to order the electronic.

In respone to alnorman, use the license number that CA issues you. The NCEES number has nothing to do with your license number.

#19 LindseyLouWho

LindseyLouWho

Intern

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Discipline:Transportation

Posted 03 June 2012 - 03:22 PM

QUOTE (SapperPE @ Jan 5 2011, 04:04 PM)
It depends on your state. Virginia only allows a rubber stamp, not an embosser. Some places allow either. Sometimes the embosser is more of a novelty for folks who want something more classy on their desk... it just depends.

I'm in Michigan and I beleive they allow either. Obviously I know it's a personal preference but I was kind of wondering what others in my situation preferred (i.e. not going to be stamping a bunch of drawings and could chose either a stamp or embosser).

i am also in michigan and i know taht at my office (civil engineering) we use ink only. occassionally we will scan this and introduce it onto a planset... don't really know anyone who has and official electronic one, but i'm looking into it!

#20 ohazco

ohazco

Intern

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 11:31 PM

What do you mean you need to get your stamp to get your cert?

Not sure about the OP, but Kansas requires you send a copy of your seal within 45 days in order to get your certificate and complete your registration.

#21 romdrv56

romdrv56

Intern

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 06:16 PM

got my official TX PE certificate. wish i had NCEE pencila from exam to go with it.

#22 robert211

robert211

Intern

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 02:31 PM

I ordered a pre-inked seal from engineerseals.com on Thursday. My company provides their engineers with a self-inking stamp, but several guys I know have a pre-inked and the quality and ease of use makes it far better than the self-inking (IMO), so I went ahead and ordered it myself. I will probably use an electronic seal 99% of the time. My office has an electronic template that makes it real easy to change the name/license number, so it didn't need to order the electronic.

In respone to alnorman, use the license number that CA issues you. The NCEES number has nothing to do with your license number.

What is the difference between pre-inked and self-inking? I think they are same.

#23 gte636i

gte636i

Intern

• 43 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 02:44 PM

Pre-inked is where the stamp is made of some kind of porous material and the ink goes on top, usually in the handle, and keeps the stamp inked like a sponge.

Self-inking is like those return address stampers, the rubber stamp is normally facing up and pressed into an ink pad cartridge, when you push down it flips to face down and pushes into the paper, when you release it flips back around and goes back up against the pad.

#24 robert211

robert211

Intern

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:37 PM

Pre-inked is where the stamp is made of some kind of porous material and the ink goes on top, usually in the handle, and keeps the stamp inked like a sponge.

Self-inking is like those return address stampers, the rubber stamp is normally facing up and pressed into an ink pad cartridge, when you push down it flips to face down and pushes into the paper, when you release it flips back around and goes back up against the pad.

Thanks so much.

I don't see self-inking on engineerseals.com, only pre-inked. which is better...traditional rubber stamp + stamp pad, and pre-inked (or self-inking)?

#25 snickerd3

snickerd3

Taking suggestions

• Charter Member
  • 20,166 posts
  • Interests:spamming EB.com

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:40 PM

personal preference. I have a traditional rubber stamp with a stamp pad because I never use it so why waste the money on it drying out. don't forget there are embosser types too.

#26 CERaider

CERaider

Intern

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 04:55 PM

Thanks so much.

I don't see self-inking on engineerseals.com, only pre-inked. which is better...traditional rubber stamp + stamp pad, and pre-inked (or self-inking)?

[link]http://www.engineerseals.com/stampinfo.php[/link]

See the link above. All three types are shown.

#27 gte636i

gte636i

Intern

• 43 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:12 PM

personal preference. I have a traditional rubber stamp with a stamp pad because I never use it so why waste the money on it drying out. don't forget there are embosser types too.

I agree, same thing I considered. I bought the embosser because I won't need to stamp things but maybe once a year and I won't have to worry about ink drying out. Also didn't want the stamp to be able to be photocopied.

#28 Rami

Rami

Intern

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 06:26 PM

Anyone knows if I should add M (for Mechanical) before the license number on www.engineerseals.com.

#29 snickerd3

snickerd3

Taking suggestions

• Charter Member
  • 20,166 posts
  • Interests:spamming EB.com

Posted 14 June 2012 - 06:33 PM

What did the paper from your state say your license number was? I would use whatever they say it is

#30 Rami

Rami

Intern

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:48 PM

What did the paper from your state say your license number was? I would use whatever they say it is

It just says the number with no letters, but I was checking some plans that were submitted to us at our job and the stamp had the person number with M for mechanical before it

#31 mikecart1

mikecart1

Intern

• 37 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:01 PM

Can anyone give advice on whether to stick with a rubber stamp or go for the embossed version? The engineers at my company all seem to use the rubber stamp with black ink. Thought it would be cool to have an embossed stamp. But I can see how the embossed version might not be so great on big drawings as it can damage the paper or may not be seen as easily as actual ink.

Also is engineerseals.com the place everyone is going to get these? Are they the best?

#32 knight1fox3

knight1fox3

Jedi Knight & Friend of Capt. Solo

• EB Supporting Member
  • 9,893 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:15 PM

Can anyone give advice on whether to stick with a rubber stamp or go for the embossed version? The engineers at my company all seem to use the rubber stamp with black ink. Thought it would be cool to have an embossed stamp. But I can see how the embossed version might not be so great on big drawings as it can damage the paper or may not be seen as easily as actual ink.

Also is engineerseals.com the place everyone is going to get these? Are they the best?

I personally like the rubber self-inking (black) stamp that I have (also have refill ink). Keeps the stamp protected with the cover that comes with it. Since I've been with my company, I've never seen an embossed stamp from any of the PEs here. They've always been of the inked variety or digital. Engineerseals.com is also my vendor of choice. Great prices and quick shipping. And they maintain a database of each state's stamp format. So you don't have to worry about something being wrong with the stamp itself.

#33 MrMike

MrMike

Intern

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 11:21 PM

I have seen a few government agencies require an embossed seal on certain reports and permits.

#34 Jayman_PE

Jayman_PE

Quid pro quo

• 271 posts
  • Interests:Bicycling, running, outdoors.

Posted 17 June 2012 - 07:44 AM

I ordered mine (Flash Pre-Inked Engineering Stamp) through Schwaab, inc. Verify with your licensing board precisely what type of stamp you need.

#35 lady_j

lady_j

Project Engineer

• 68 posts
  • Discipline:Transportation

Posted 26 June 2012 - 07:07 PM

My office ordered me a stamp thru engineerseals.com....it arrived yesterday (I think it only took a few days) and it looks really good! I have to say - it was MUCH more exciting to see my rubber stamp seal than it was to see my electronic seal.

I had to "practice" stamping....I think I stamped it about 10 times on pieces of scrap :P

#36 Wildsoldier PE

Wildsoldier PE

Principal in Charge

• 283 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:50 PM

My office ordered me a stamp thru engineerseals.com....it arrived yesterday (I think it only took a few days) and it looks really good! I have to say - it was MUCH more exciting to see my rubber stamp seal than it was to see my electronic seal.

I had to "practice" stamping....I think I stamped it about 10 times on pieces of scrap :P

Its a good feeling having a rubber made for ya! I did the same thing when i got mine...and im still stamping scrap of paper from time to time

Edited by Wildsoldier PE, 26 June 2012 - 10:51 PM.

• lady_j likes this

#37 fishhunterphil

fishhunterphil

Intern

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 05:32 PM

I was going to order from Acorn, but went with Engineerseals after reading the positive comments from yall.
Thanks!

#38 sumpnz

sumpnz

Project Engineer

• 85 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:31 PM

bump

:beerchug:

#39 kpf

kpf

Intern