• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 PEin2010

PEin2010

Project Engineer

• 86 posts
  • Discipline:Civil

Posted 25 October 2010 - 12:04 AM

I think i'm going a little cuckoo with the exams only 4 days away!

My question is: I know that stations in vertical curves are based on horizontal distances.

How about the stations in horizontal curves?

#2 Guest_Dexman PE_*

Guest_Dexman PE_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2010 - 03:43 AM

Stations are based on the HCL (the horizontal control line). Typically, the HCL is also the centerline of the road, but that isn't always the case. So when the HCL curves horizontally, the stations follow that curve.

#3 Ambrug20

Ambrug20

Project Engineer

• 193 posts
  • Interests:Working on Trasportation PE

Posted 25 October 2010 - 01:40 PM

QUOTE (PEin2010 @ Oct 24 2010, 07:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think i'm going a little cuckoo with the exams only 4 days away!

My question is: I know that stations in vertical curves are based on horizontal distances.

How about the stations in horizontal curves?

The previous explanation is pretty much answering the question. When you design roadway, the stations on the vertical alignment are always mach horizontal. For the purpose of the exam, you need to figure out what alignment calculations needs to be perform. Also remember the difference between sag and crest curve (they do different calculations for sight distance and curve length), pay attention to it.
Good luck

#4 StogieFL

StogieFL

Intern

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 03:29 PM

QUOTE (Dexman PE @ Oct 24 2010, 11:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Stations are based on the HCL (the horizontal control line). Typically, the HCL is also the centerline of the road, but that isn't always the case. So when the HCL curves horizontally, the stations follow that curve.

Just kepp in mind that parallel lines do not have the same stationing coming of a curve. Parallel curves have different lenghths of curve thus the stationing changes. This is whay many times you will see an equation at the PT of the Curve. If an equation is introduced then the Vertical Curve must also have an equation. party-smiley-048.gif

Learn about Engineering
http://www.whatisengineering.net/

Edited by StogieFL, 14 September 2011 - 03:31 PM.

#5 Dexman PE

Dexman PE

Most Likely to be Arrested

• Moderators
  • 16,507 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 03:37 PM

^^^ That's why you set your stationing to follow the HCL, and when you have parallel lines you refer to them by Station/offset.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

=