2001 Green Book, 2nd Printing

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Road Guy

Reaction score
seriously get the errata or the 2004 GreenBook, I found out today that the values for several of the tables have changed slightly enough to "F" you on the exam, if the SE or Radius is close to the minimum.

yeah your fine, I printed out the 2004 green book today, We had it on CD... now I just need to copy it so its 2 sides and not 1800 pges..

That's how I did the HCM2000, thank goodness I can print directly to my copier, and have it doublesided from the start, it is still 4.5 inches thick

Green Book...this is like some religious text to you road folks. For those of us not taking the PM transpo, do you think we should bring the green book or just copy out the LOS pages for freeways and highways? Is there anything else in there that might be good to have? I am not too familiar with the book. I know that Lindberg has some of the LOS tables...but I have not found the correction factors (flc, etc.) anywhere in there.

-GT

I would print the minimum radius table from the 2004 green book, and all the other SSD , CREST/SAG K values,etc, SE pages that have that type of info, those are some easy plug and chug questiosn they can ask in the AM.

also if you can print out the worksheets from the back of the HCM for each type of roadway, they have all the forumulas you need plus they have the chart at the top of the worksheet where you can plot a value and get the LOS, the HCM looks complicated, but for the most part its fairly simple.

there is a also a section in the HCM where they talk about default values to use, when the testwriters like to leave out a value for an easy plug & chug AM transportation problem, and they expect you to go look up the default value (wish someone would have told me that back in March)

Very good info.

I saw a sample problem where you had to find LOS but were not given any speed information. You had to assume the standard design speed for an urban area at 55 or whatever. Do you happen to know where this default info is? No biggie if you don't..I will dig through the HCM tonight.

chapter 9 of the HCM is all about defaults

page 9-9

Factor----Urban --_Rural

PHF.....(.92)......88

K......... (.09).....(.10)

Distribution (.60) ..... (.60)

these were the ones i wrote down

I cant recall the default speed, I think they are different for each type of roadway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back