Air Section

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buddingpe

Reaction score
Friends,

I started working on the Air section from Linderburg and thought if this section is worth reading from there? Should I focus on the other books like Cooper & Alley or other books? Please share your experiences.

Thanks all.

Hopeful PE

You know, honestly, I thought the air section of Lindeberg was pretty good. It covered the main air subjects pretty well. Cooper and Alley is OK, too, but Lindeberg does a pretty good job of condensing most of the important stuff.

Some of the tougher things, in my opinion, were all of the conversions for stack sampling. You know, converting for temperatures, percent O2, that kind of thing. Also, combustion stoichiometry - this was covered pretty well by Lindeberg, but I appreciated the additional reading in both Cooper & Alley, and also LaGrega's Hazardous Waste Management. That was primarily based on incinerator stuff, which is good to read up on. In fact, looking at my books, I have LaGrega tabbed up with a number of air-related subjects, including combustion (some good tables in this book), O2 corrections, and incinerators.

But yeah, back to your question, go ahead and read through the Lindeberg Air chapters, do the example questions, and the practice problems, and you will be in decent shape. Follow up with additional study in the other books you have available. Get good at using and manipulating the ideal gas law - it comes up a lot, even in the health and safety subjects.

I used Air Quality by Godish for most of the ambient air, downstream concentrations, etc.

For the treatment design stuff, it was most plug and chug using the equations in the the ENVRM, and the Handbook of Air Pollution Control Engineering and Technology by Mycock (yeah, that's really his name) et al.

And what DLeg said, manipulating the Ideal Gas Law is key. I am not all that good at that. But I guarantee you'll see a question or two going from ppmv to mg/m3.

Last edited by a moderator:
I mainly used the ENVRM for my air review, along with a DVD review course (NC State's). I felt pretty good about my preparedness. Is there a new ENVRM out these days for the new standards? I have the 2nd edition. Buty for the most part, I agree with what VTE and DLeg said.

I almost forgot - you're going to need a good reference for air sampling. The only book I had that covered that was Salvato's Environmental Engineering. Its coverage was not terribly comprehensive, but it was enough for me. If there is a better recommendation for a sampling reference, hopefully someone will mention it.

I almost forgot - you're going to need a good reference for air sampling. The only book I had that covered that was Salvato's Environmental Engineering. Its coverage was not terribly comprehensive, but it was enough for me. If there is a better recommendation for a sampling reference, hopefully someone will mention it.

Thank you all for the reply.

Ive been looking for a good air pollution control book to keep in my office for reference. I think Im going to order the Mycock book VT recommended.

This is the one I wanted to buy for work, but I was too cheap to pull the trigger, and then I was relieved of my temporary air branch manager duties anyway.

Back