PE Exam Chemical -- Self-study Advice

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roromero

Reaction score
Hello All,

I just joined this forum and I'm glad to see people here sharing great information!!

I just found out that I passed the FE exam and now I'm getting ready for the PE Chemical exam. For those of you that have already passed the PE, what is your advice as far as self-study preparation (time requirements?)

As far as material, I just ordered two books, Lindeburg's Practice Problems and Robinson's Reference Guide. Do you think this would be enough material for the test?? Are additional reference books, like Perry's Handbook, useful in the exam??

Lastly, If somebody can provide me electronic notes for the exam, that would be greatly appreciated (my email is [email protected])

Thanks,

Ramon

Perry's is helpful for the exam. I would stick to the textbooks that you used in school and not try to get familiar with a new book/ different nomenclature. Do plenty of problems and review information you covered in school. They will stick to the outline of exam topics. If you follow that outline closely you'll be fine.

The lindburg's reference manual was helpful for me...it overprepares you. lots of practice problems. 6 minute solutions is the other book i bought

I just passed the Oct 2011 PE exam and used Perry's, Lindberg, and some of my school texts during the exam. I used the NCEES practice exam (current and previous edition), Lindberg practice problems, and Six Minute Solutions while I was studying for the exam. I found the NCEES practice exam to be the most beneficial during my studying and pretty helpful during the test as well. The six minute solutions and Lindberg problems were more complicated than what I saw on the exam but they're good to help you think.

Get a copy of the NCEES practice exam. This will give you an idea of the level of time required for the problems. Good luck.

I studied for 4 months and tried to read everything... then the last month I took a different approach.

I looked at the % of each topic NCEES publishes for the exam, and did as many practice problems on those sections.. even redid the same problems after I ran out

Does the problems on the NCEES practice exam changes every year? Thanks

Does the problems on the NCEES practice exam changes every year? Thanks
NCEES only issues updated practice exams every few to several years. I have the two most recent versions. A few questions are exactly the same, but most are different (though of the same subjects).

The latest Lindberg text is crap for the kinetics part of the exam.

10 pages, really?

It wasn't enough for me - I dug up my old college textbook, and also bought a used levenspiel text, too.

I am a big fan of books in general - and work for a design engineering firm. They will come in handy in the future, too.

Yeah the kinetics section is small, so when i came across a kinetics question when I took the test I tried using a different book spent way too long trying to find the answer and then went to lindberg and by golly the answer was sitting there front and center the whole time!!!

Back