Synchronous Generator PPI problem

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shima

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have a quetions. Problem below is from PPI Sample exam book: A Synchronous genrator is rate for 3MVA, 11kv, and has a power factor of 0.8. What is most nearly the magnitude of the rated current.

Since the problem does not mention three phase, I used " I = S/V. The solution in the book uses " I = S/(VX 1.73) Can some one explain why we using 3 phase formula instead of 1 phase? Thank a lot.

^Any machine that size (3MVA) is going to be 3-phase. The largest single-phase machines are smaller than that by several orders of magnitude.

Something I've noticed about PPI questions is that sometimes they leave some things open to interpretation.

The NCEES sample questions do not do this; in the NCEES questions there is no room for interpretation because they state everything you need to know about the problem at hand. Hopefully it will be the same during test time.

^From my experience, the NCEES sample questions were the closest thing to the actual exam. It makes sense since the same organization generated both the sample questions and the exam. I'm also pretty sure that at least a few of the sample questions are retired questions from past exams.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are right, the NCEES questions are the old exam questions. I wish they would have retired more sample questions. Thanks

Back