New Environmental PE Exam Specifications

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dleg

Spammer Emeritus
Reaction score
Be advised, the NCEES exam specifications have now changed. The new specs will be used starting with the April 2011 exam.

Link to NCEES Enviro PE exam specs

My opinion, looking at the specs, is that they have not changed "much" from the previous regs, although they have certainly changed. A few new things that I do not remember studying for before include medical waste, sustainable design, exposure assessments, and a more up-to-date focus on the ASTM Site Assessment process. Perhaps also a more comprehensive focus on other aspects of hazardous waste and site remediation - I see "geology" listed as a subject. I wonder how much...

All very good changes, in my opinion.

Be advised, the NCEES exam specifications have now changed. The new specs will be used starting with the April 2011 exam.

My opinion, looking at the specs, is that they have not changed "much" from the previous regs, although they have certainly changed. A few new things that I do not remember studying for before include medical waste, sustainable design, exposure assessments, and a more up-to-date focus on the ASTM Site Assessment process. Perhaps also a more comprehensive focus on other aspects of hazardous waste and site remediation - I see "geology" listed as a subject. I wonder how much...

Exposure assessments were on my version of the exam (Oct. '08), but the other subjects definitely weren't. I wish the ASTM site assessment process had been...Phase I ESAs were my bread and butter! I think it is a great thing that geology is now included. Very valuable info to understand the different ways a contaminant can travel through a gravel vs. a clay soil.

I think it's great, too. Having experience in geological work has helped me immensely.

Any news on whether or not the review guides by Lindeburg will be updated to reflect the new exam specs? I thought the review material was a little off compared to the October 2010 exam content...

...and I'm hoping that I won't really need any new materials. ;)

I thought the Lindberg manual was a little "off" for the October 2006 exam. So, I don't think PPI pays much attention to keeping the ENVRM up to date. Which kind of sucks, but it's kind of OK, too, because it forces you to get better references.

Well, I only found out that I had to take the exam about 6 weeks before the test (long story), and if I have to retake it, I'll definitely know which sections to skip in the big book.

I'm glad they're bumping up the geology requirements, I have every reference there is and then some.

I need to get a copy of Metcalf and Eddy though...I wasn't able to get a copy before the exam, and while the example questions did a good job of directing me to other references, I think I could have just used it as a sub for many other references. And, it really should just be on my shelf.

I guess I don't have to worry about the new exam specs, because I passed...but, the exam tips on this topic are great! Thanks to Dleg, and everyone else! Still need M&E, though!

If you passed, you only need M&E if you work wastewater. If not, don't bother - that's an expensive and highly specialized book. Salvato, on the other hand, covers all you need to know (in a practical sense) on wastewater and a whole host of other issues. That's worth owning.

Back