CA Civil Survey Review Course

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McEngr

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a CA Civil Survey Review Course for someone that has never performed a survey in his/her life? I am an SE looking to take the survey exam in the near future. Any recommendations and things to avoid etc would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Can anyone recommend a CA Civil Survey Review Course for someone that has never performed a survey in his/her life? I am an SE looking to take the survey exam in the near future. Any recommendations and things to avoid etc would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Tip: You do not need to have performed any surveys to understand and pass the Survey Principles exam. ;)

Thanks!

Tip: You do not need to have performed any surveys to understand and pass the Survey Principles exam. ;)
Welp, I hope you're right. It seems pretty tough from what I hear. I don't even know where to begin studying...

Thanks!

Welp, I hope you're right. It seems pretty tough from what I hear. I don't even know where to begin studying...

Well, it is all relative. It depends who you ask. Guys like me find it a breeze but then really struggle with the Seismic. Guys like you find Seismic to be first nature and struggle (a little more) with Survey. But, I think you'll find Survey is not so bad. You took survey in college, right (for the record, I did not take Seismic in college)? Also, you'd be surprised how much of it is basic trigonometry (remember SohCahToa?) And a lot of it overlaps with the 8-hr PE exam that you already studied for (earthwork, horizontal/vertical curves, etc.). Get yourself some survey books (PPI, Mansour, and/or Mahallati, etc.) and start going through them. You'll do fine.

I was not particularly impressed with the School of PE's course but I thought the "Surveying Principles for Civil Engineers: Review for the Engineering Surveying Section of the California Special Civil Engineer Examination, 2nd ed." by Paul Cuomo was pretty good.

I think the key is to do tons of practice problems and then when you think you have done enough do some more. Also I would do different tests from providers as you will get wider range of topics covered.

I am still awaiting my results though....

I would highly recommend http://www.civilpesurveyingreview.com/ for Survey. Excellent on-demand videos and practice tests all on your own time which worked well with my schedule. Practicing on his computer based test definitely helped prepare me for the the real thing. And he's the nicest guy too.

Back