Need Help with PE License Rules

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BDBrotherton

Reaction score
Okay...so I need some help here...I can't find it anywhere on any website!

Say you are granted a exemption/waiver from taking/passing the FE exam - because of years of experience.

Then you take the PE exam and pass.

I heard there are some states that will not recognize your PE license - because you never passed the FE exam.

Does anyone know if this is true?

Does anyone know which states do not allow a PE exam if you didn't pass the FE exam?

Thanx!!!!

-Kevin

does it matter to know which ones may or may not? Just contact the board for the states that you are interested in getting a PE in...it will cut down the investigative work significantly

Each state's rules can vary widely. But I can say that for reciprocity, Michigan requires you to have met the requirements for licensing in Michigan at the time you were licensed in the other state. MI does allow a waiver for the FE if you have a PhD in engineering, but not for years of experience. So if at the time you got your PE license in state X you had a PhD in engineering, you maybe able to get licensed in MI. Otherwise you won't be able to without passing the FE.

I know a couple states do require the fe even if your state waived it.

interesting story. RG's grandady, went to Ga Tech, back then (1930's) you didn't have to take an exam, he graduated, then applied for a PE License (his # is 3 digits) of course he is in Engineer Heaven now, RIP Grandpa... anyways... after he had worked about 15 years times changed so he needed to do some work in Michigan and Florida so he had to study and take the exam. I don't recall him telling me if he had to take an EIT, only the PE exam. He did pass. But I do recall him being peeved that he had to take an exam (If you have met someone from Ga Tech then that explains it ) :) ...

I would garner you would have to do the same if you wanted to move or seek reciprocity... just do some research..

If I could take the PE and not have to take the FE, I would probably do it and then make it a point to go back and take the EIT....

Back