Changes in the New NCEES Civil PE Exam Specs'

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PE_CE_CA

Reaction score
Comparing the previous civil breadth and depth specifications and the new April 2015 specifications, I gathered that the % of transportation questions dropped to 7.5% and that of Hydraulics/Hydrology to 17.5% (from 20% each). Also, I noticed wastewater treatment and water treatment are omitted from the breadth, as well as the sight distance and superelevation. Meanwhile, construction questions increased by at least 10%.

Thoughts?

As a water/wastewater guy with no experience in construction, I don't like the changes that much. But I have no choice but to roll with it.

More construction, less transpo is correct. The environmental stuff is gone as well.

You'll likely see about 3 Transpo problems, and 7 construction. 6-7 WR

Superelevation, sight distances were moved to the PM Transpo. You'll see basic geometrics in the AM

Comparing the previous civil breadth and depth specifications and the new April 2015 specifications, I gathered that the % of transportation questions dropped to 7.5% and that of Hydraulics/Hydrology to 17.5% (from 20% each). Also, I noticed wastewater treatment and water treatment are omitted from the breadth, as well as the sight distance and superelevation. Meanwhile, construction questions increased by at least 10%.

Thoughts?

This is not new, right? I thought the current exam outline has been out since Oct/Nov 2014. It didn't change again, did it?

No, it hasn't changed again. But the title did scare the crap out of me.

The NCEES Spec sheet says "Effective Beginning with the April 2015 Examinations", so it is relatively new.

@ John QPE, thanks for the confirmation!

Back