Converging flow - vacuum

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Master slacker

Something awesome.
Reaction score
I have lost my Fluids book. I have no effing clue where that thing is. I am investigating the use of a fan to draw out a mist from an enclosed "tub". Two scenarios are options:

1. A "y-type" converging flow - one leg of the "Y" will be a forced flow from a fan and the other leg will be what is drawn / vacuumed from the "tub" space. Both flows would exit in the same path.
  2. Have an open-ended pipe exposed to the inner tub workings (the other end would be outside of tub). Have a smaller compressed air pipe inside it. Opening the compressed air pipe will draw in the mist from the tub and both the air and mist would exit out of the larger open-ended pipe.

Option 2 is already "there", per se. There are already provisions for ease of installation. Option 1 would take more time and effort.

Bernoulli's equation is not applicable as these are compressible flows. In the absense of my book, I need a little guidance to get going down the right path. Can anyone lend a hand?

Back