so how did it go? Inquiring minds want to know.

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took the Civil PE with Transportation as my afternoon discipline. I felt pretty confident. The morning exam went very well I think. I finished with about 90 minutes left, so I looked over every question again. Even taking into account the possibility of errors, I really think I might have got 37+ out of 40 on that half.

The afternoon was definitely more difficult for me. There were probably 3-4 that I flat guessed on. A couple look-up problems which should have been easy for me to find, were not. 2 of the water questions gave me more trouble than I expected. Generally speaking though, I never got hung up time-wise, and I still feel like I got a decent portion correct. Again, taking into account some oversights and mistakes, I'm going to guess that I got somewhere between 55-70% on this half.

That being said, I'm either very wrong in my estimation or I should have got at least 60 correct. I hope I'm right!

Edit: I just realized that this post was meant for Chemical PE testers. Sorry. I noticed the post on the main EB page and didn't check to see which section it was in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tougher than I expected. I feel like I was well prepared for the math, but there was a lot of qualitative stuff that caught me off guard. There were a bunch of questions that I thought just came out of left field. Morning section and afternoon section were about even for me. If I don't pass, it'll be because of the qualitative stuff.

I studied a total about 200 hours for 3 months leading up to the exam, so I put in a decent amount of time studying, but I could have studied more. I just don't know how I could have studied for qualitative, based on experience type questions. Any good reference material for this kind of stuff? My college text books (plant design, etc.) failed me for these questions.

I'm very interested to what others thought about the chemical exam. I feel 60/40 that I passed...we'll see

Those kind of qualitative questions are very difficult unless you've had the correct experience for the question since you got out of college. The year I took the test, there were only a couple of qualitative questions, definitely not enough to doom you to failure if you were up to snuff on the rest of the sections. Now enjoy your quite lengthy wait. Hopefully you know by Christmas.

Those qualitative questions got me too. Sounds like the test has really stayed the same for the most part.

Morning was fairly easy. I'm confident I've got at least 30 correct in the morning. Afternoon was a different animal altogether. Let's just say I hope I've got at least 20 right in the afternoon.

Anyone felt the same way?

It seems like Principles and PRACTICE name is a very good description for the Chemical test.

hoping for positive results for you all!

Morning was fairly easy. I'm confident I've got at least 30 correct in the morning. Afternoon was a different animal altogether. Let's just say I hope I've got at least 20 right in the afternoon.

Anyone felt the same way?
I wasn't as confident as you about the morning portion. There were a few easy ones that I know i should have got, but my mind just went blank. I feel a little more confident than you in the afternoon section. I thought that the afternoon section started off kind of easy, then got really tough. There was some qualitative stuff that I've never seen in my life.

I'm aiming for a 25 morning, 25 afternoon split, so about a total of 50 like you. Hopefully that cuts it. I've spent some time reading other threads about diagnostic reports, and raw scores vs adjusted scores, and cut scores, and "70% to pass" and it seems like nobody really knows what it takes.

The passing rate for Chem E's is really high comparatively, so my hope is that the exam is tougher than others and the passing score is lower...that's just what I'm telling myself to calm my nerves while playing the waiting game, lol.

I was very fortunate to read this site (before taking the exam) which hinted that the NCEES practice exam was very helpful, and that was an understatement. That's how I got through the morning quite easily.

Concerning the passing rate, my logic was the opposite from your's. I figured since our passing rate for chemical engineering was so high, there would be no "curving". In other words, I'm expecting at least 56 out of 80 questions correct as the passing score. Let's just hope I'm wrong.

The morning was more or less what i expected to see and i think it went ok... the afternoon questions were much more qualatative than i was prepared for.

The worst part is, if i fail, i really don't know how/what to study differently so that i pass next time.

Please advice if you found PE Chem sample questions (full tests) sources (besides NCEES, ppi) that helped you preparing for PE Chemical exam.

Back