Passed, Pay Raise?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two announces were made today. Botyh guys passed the PE and were promoted to Sr. Engineer with a pay rise of ~10% each one and a 3% more waiting to be effective in March. It pays for some people. It depends on where you are.

I passed this time and have been told that it will probably not be until August, but it will be 10%

I got screwed by a few weeks. Accepted a new job ~ Dec 8 and found out three weeks later that I got the PE. However, new employer does not have any "adjustments" for getting the PE. It was awkward to ask for it the second day at new job but I tried.

But, I had to relocate and that was a priority over $$. I did get ~3% due to switching and will have to be happy with that at least for now. Good Luck to rest of you for getting a raise!!

For all of those that have indicated no raise, I think that is horrible. Being able to acheive an accomplishment such as obtaining your PE license should not be undervalued. You have accomplished something remarkable, please don't let an employer take that away from you. If your current employer does not reward you or thinks having your PE license does not benefit your company, I say leave and find work someplace else.

I work in the consulting industry and while I may be glad to have work, I feel my company is lucky to have me as well. We have locked out raises this year as the economy pitfalls has finally hit our business, but I will still receive a raise, probably around 7%. The point is that having a PE license makes you more valuable, more creditable, and generally more desired. You are billed at a higher rate and have proven your capabilities.

Let's not allow the employers to have all the power, being employed is a give and take relationship. I assume that not a single one of us would leave our families everyday without compensation and face it, we became engineers because we wanted above average compensation. If you allow yourself to be undervalued, it hurts your bank account and the rest of us as well. (Why hire candidate A if candidate B will allow me to pay them less). Be fair, but stick up for what is right!

For all of those that have indicated no raise, I think that is horrible. Being able to acheive an accomplishment such as obtaining your PE license should not be undervalued. You have accomplished something remarkable, please don't let an employer take that away from you. If your current employer does not reward you or thinks having your PE license does not benefit your company, I say leave and find work someplace else.
I work in the consulting industry and while I may be glad to have work, I feel my company is lucky to have me as well. We have locked out raises this year as the economy pitfalls has finally hit our business, but I will still receive a raise, probably around 7%. The point is that having a PE license makes you more valuable, more creditable, and generally more desired. You are billed at a higher rate and have proven your capabilities.

Let's not allow the employers to have all the power, being employed is a give and take relationship. I assume that not a single one of us would leave our families everyday without compensation and face it, we became engineers because we wanted above average compensation. If you allow yourself to be undervalued, it hurts your bank account and the rest of us as well. (Why hire candidate A if candidate B will allow me to pay them less). Be fair, but stick up for what is right!
Exactly. Your company sure as hell will bill the customer more for your work, so you might as well get a piece. Either way, they're still making money.

unless you work for a state/federal agency then there are mandated payscales that are not affected by passing tests such as the PE.

I got my exam fees and hotel bill paid. I also got paid for the day I took the test. that's it.

I wouldn't ask for one in this economy. Personally, I am just happy to be employed.
It never hurts to try, the worst they'll say is no.
I disagree. Actually, 'no' may be the worse they'll say but the worse they'll think is: "What an a-hole. All pay raises have been frozen for two+ years now for every single employee, no cost of living increases, we are on furlough (10% deduction in pay for everyone), there is a hiring freeze, and there have been significant lay-offs - but this guy is asking for a raise". What an a-hole."

But that's just me. Every firm/organization is different. I am just happy to have a job at this current time.

I wouldn't ask for one in this economy. Personally, I am just happy to be employed.
It never hurts to try, the worst they'll say is no.
I disagree. Actually, 'no' may be the worse they'll say but the worse they'll think is: "What an a-hole. All pay raises have been frozen for two+ years now for every single employee, no cost of living increases, we are on furlough (10% deduction in pay for everyone), there is a hiring freeze, and there have been significant lay-offs - but this guy is asking for a raise". What an a-hole."

But that's just me. Every firm/organization is different. I am just happy to have a job at this current time.
I'm all for job security, but if they're billing your hours at the PE hourly rate then I'd have a problem with them not giving me a cut of that. Otherwise, it's just pure extra profit for them while you're still picking up scraps.

The bottom line is, the cost of your services (employment) is equal to the amount that the next engineering firm is willing to pay you. There's no formula for "I earned ____ before my PE, I did these tasks, now I have my PE and now my value to the company =___". If you particularly like your company or have a good enough reason to stay, it may be worth working for less money. But to say you're happy where you are or to be scared to ask for a raise so you don't lose your job is absurd. And any company that would say you're an asshole for asking for a raise is absurd.

The bottom line is, the cost of your services (employment) is equal to the amount that the next engineering firm is willing to pay you. There's no formula for "I earned ____ before my PE, I did these tasks, now I have my PE and now my value to the company =___". If you particularly like your company or have a good enough reason to stay, it may be worth working for less money. But to say you're happy where you are or to be scared to ask for a raise so you don't lose your job is absurd. And any company that would say you're an asshole for asking for a raise is absurd.
They are going to think you are a loser for not asking.

Back