WRE 6 min prob 15

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andyrich

Andy
Reaction score
In the water resources six minute solutions #15, they use the specific force method to solve this problem. Why is the specific force on each side of the hydraulic jump set equal? I was under the impression that energy is lost in a hydraulic jump?

In the water resources six minute solutions #15, they use the specific force method to solve this problem. Why is the specific force on each side of the hydraulic jump set equal? I was under the impression that energy is lost in a hydraulic jump?
There is no force applied to the fluid and therefore (by Newton's Law), momentum is conserved. The values of the conjugate depths on either side of a hydraulic jump are derived from a statement of equal momentum, not equal energy. Energy is indeed lost in a hydraulic jump, while momentum is conserved.

Okay thanks!

After doing a little more research I found a reference that indicates that the specific force on either side of a hydraulic jump is the same... the CERM did not point that out as far as I can tell...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back