How did you get your books: Buy, Rent, or Borrow?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Janizzle

Reaction score
I'm now at the point where I'm looking for reference books that would be helpful for the exam, and the threads up top are SO helpful. But I am curious about the best method to get these books. Did you:

• Buy New?
  • Buy Used?
  • Rent?
  • Borrow from Coworker/Friends?
  • Borrow from Library?
Which reference books do you recommend as a purchase? Are there certain books that you think would be okay to rent/borrow for the exam?

I was able to borrow a few resources from coworkers but no textbooks. I saw that the Salvato 5th edition on Amazon costs around $275 used...but it seems to be one of the best books to have.

I'm probably not going to get reimbursed for my book purchases so I want to be as smart with my spending as possible. Any insights are appreciated!

I have bought a few used books myself, and some new. Used books ae great as long as they are not overly worked up. (Few written notes here and there are fine) Some of my primary references like Metcalf, Cooper and sample exam books were all used. They worked great for me. I have loaned all my used books for a friend who is taking the exam.

Most of the companies do not refund for textbooks unfortunately.

Theres no need to buy brand new text books ( Some are worthwhile for great shelf references at work)

I found a copy of the 4th edition (I think) of Salvato at my local library. They let me check it out from December all the way through the April exam as long as no one requested it, and they didn't. I would have paid the late fees if I had to...still cheaper than buying it!

I bought the EnvERM and the NCEES practice exam new and would do that again, though a used or borrowed copy of the NCEES practice exam would be fine if it was blank. I wanted to make my own notes in the EnvERM and keep it. I borrowed practice problem books from a coworker, which worked out fine.

I had a copy of LaGrega from college but would buy that one if I didn't have it, if it might be relevant at work; if not, try to borrow that one. My office had copies of Metcalf & Eddy and the OSHA Handbook that I borrowed, but I would buy a used copy of Metcalf & Eddy if you don't already have it (older is fine, the technology doesn't change much). I'd make sure you have an Intro to Environmental Engineering text like Masters or Davis, preferably one you're familiar with.

I strongly support buying your references - they're part of your professional tool kit, and you never know what you might be called on to do in the future. I have personally found a need to consult every single one of the books I purchased for my Env. PE studying, and the more you show that you can handle "odd" stuff, the more you are likely to be called on to do it (and the more valuable you become).

Used is a good idea if you can find copies that arent' too badly marked up, like the others have said. Most of the vendors on Amazon, at least, seem to report the condition of books pretty honestly. I have picked up a few textbooks for my master's program on there, listed as "like new" or "very good", and they really were, and saved me a little bit of money.

i bought NC notes from a friend. bought all other reference books on amazon. you can always sell it later.

I bought used books whenever possible (to save money). In some cases for the really expensive books, I bought an older edition rather than paying hundreds of $ for the newest edition (and as far as I can tell, it wasn't a problem for me).

I looked around on here for recommended books to fill any "holes" in my existing book collection. Then, for each book I wanted to get, I searched on eBay and Amazon and bought it wherever it was cheapest. If you don't find the book useful, you can always resell it after the exam. I've personally kept all my reference books, with the exception of the "sample tests/problems" type of books (of which I purchased 7 different books, which I'm currently selling - see my classified ad on here, if you're interested).

Glad this question was asked previously. I'm debating on the 4th edition 2006 or 5th edition 2012 of the Intro to Eng book. Talking a $130 difference just in theused category. Thoughts?

I would save the money, personally, and get the older version.

Back