Sample problems needing NDS for Wood Construction

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Construction PE

Reaction score
I purchased NDS for Wood Construction because it was on the list of required NCEES references... however, so far, I have not had to use it.

I would like to use it in at least a couple problems before the exam. Has anyone come across any problems they can post or can point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Bring it with you during the exam, youll use that in PE civil Struct PM Depth but not in the AM. Good Luck.

I found an NDS problem (...sort of)! It is from Lindeburg Practice Problems book... although it is under the structural section, but nonetheless here it goes:

Problem 45.3 (11th ed)

A 4in x 4 in (nominal size) timber post is used to support a sign. The post's modulus of elasticity is 1.5x10^6 lbf/in^2. One end of the post is embedded in a deep concrete base. The other end supports a sign 9 ft above the ground. Neglect torsion and wind effects. What is the Euler load sign weight that will cause failure by buckling?

a- 2700 lbf

b- 3700lbf

c- 4000lbf

d- 5500lbf

Answer:

1) I = bh^3/12= (3.5)(3.5^3)/12= 12.51 in^4 (finished lumber size)

2) k = (I/A) ^ 1/2

k= (12.51/(3.5"x 3.5"))^1/2= 1.01 inches

3) The end restraint coefficient is C= 2.1 (NDS) <--- this line is quoted directly from Lindeburg's problem book. Does anyone know where to find this C=2.1 figure in NDS? (I obviously don't know how to use this reference) Any body have any pointers???

4) The slenderness ratio is:

L'/k= CL/k= (2.1)(9'x12)/1.01 = 224.6

There is note here: L/k is well above 100. (Note that most timber codes limit L/k to 50, so this would not be a permitted application).

5) Fe= (pi)^2 E I/ (L^2) = [(pi^2) (1.5 x 10^6 lbf/in^2) ( 12.51 in^4)] / [((2.1)(9'x12"))^2] = 3673 lbf

Answer is therefore b.

This problem is as close as I have found to what we are looking for... although it has much structural detail. But the question still remains in my mind... the one piece of info that came from NDS... I don't know where to find.

Anybody? End-restraint coefficient C = 2.1 (from NDS). This is a timber post.

I glanced to through the tables and a couple spots in NDS, but I had no luck.

There were at least 2 problems requiring these standards when I took it Oct '09. I took construction PM, but I honestly can't remember if they were in morning or afternoon.

There was one problem on the Construction PM session of the Oct 2011 exam that I wish I had it for. But my guestimate probably took less time than having to look it up.

there is only 25% probability you could get it right if you dont have the NDS. In timber probllems

There was one problem on the Construction PM session of the Oct 2011 exam that I wish I had it for. But my guestimate probably took less time than having to look it up.
I took the same test, and couldn't agree more. I just hope my thinking was logical at that point, it was fairly late in the day when I got around to that problem.

Like any reference manual, if your not accustomed to using it - it won't do you much good.

Nothing like having a bunch of books with you that you've never used............its a prescription for wasted time.

Back