Study Course Selection

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wjrez

Reaction score
I am a 3 time loser in the Electrical Power PE test. A lot of it has to do with my study routine as I am convinced I was not as focused as I should have been given work, life, etc. Everything everyone else has also!

So I am attempting to avoid getting the "golden sombrero" of test taking (4 losers in a row) and planning for April 2016 (will start in earnest in October). However my state notes that before being allowed to sit for the next one, I must "complete a course of study in the technical areas where deficiency was identified to the applicant on previous exam results". Course completion certificate documentation will be required along with the test fee.

Given the time and expense involved in my previous 3 attempts, I am attempting to minimize cost, but do not want to merely take the course for the sake of taking one, it needs to have some merit. The least expensive option I have seen has been the MGI PE readiness review, which is a set of binders and access to an instructor via e-mail, etc.

I think my biggest issue has been T&D protection and instrumentation (at least on the last one). I know I need to perform more test type questions and also understand the "how and why" to ensure I do not get stumped by the same type question with a few parameters flipped around.

Just would like to know if taking the MGI course would be of any value outside of demonstrating compliance to the state and if there are other (not more expensive) options that I may be overlooking.

Thanks!!

It sounds as if you need to take a good hard look at your procedure for studying. I've mentioned this before, but the solutions in the study guides are your worst enemy because you won't learn the concepts. Work the problems as best you can, look up in the books for information on how to solve if you don't know how. Read everything about and keep going until you get the answer. Mark the pages in your references that had the best information on that topic. Also if there were equations or quick reference things put those on a separate sheet of paper for quick reference (some call it a crib sheet). Once you have worked through a full set of problems (maybe spent a couple hours in a sitting) look up to see what the answer was (not how to get the answer). Then keep trying to figure out how to get the right answer on the problems you got wrong. Finally, look up the procedure for each question so you can see if they had a better way to do it. You will need these questions to come from a variety of resources, you can search this board for other vendors. My budget for this was about $600.

As for the specific class you should take, there have been numerous threads on this board reviewing many of the class options. Personally, I used SchoolofPE.com. I don't recall any specific reviews on the course you refer to, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. I can certainly understand why you chose them, because it looks like the class is about $550. But here is my $0.02: Considering how much money you have already spent, it seems like you should not pick a class based on price. Everything you have spent is sunk cost, you need to figure out the right thing so you can minimize the amount of time and money you put towards the test going forward. My budget for this was about $1000, though some classes are much more expensive.

Getting the PE is not cheap goal and the more times you take the exam, the more expensive it becomes. But if you take the approach that you want the cheapest route possible now (sub-par class, missing references, not enough practice tests, no dedicated study space), you will likely be right back where you started from.

I can't comment on the course, but as far as repeating the test a number of times i can offer a tip.

I took the power test 4 times. The first 3 times, I did the usual test taking protocol. Which is what it sounds like you have done. On my fourth attempt, I focused on being organised. I made a notebook with nothing but examples. I had them all in tabbed sections based on the sections. It made it very easy during the exam to see multiple examples to make sure I knew what to look for and the common mistakes made during the exam.

Good luck to you, you can do it. Don't lose faith!

The advice you've received so far is good. I would not recommend the MGI course. I purchased it because it was the least expensive. The problems are not really comparable to the ones on the exam. I took the GA Tech course, even though it's twice the price, and thought it was excellent. I've also heard good things about School of PE. I also purchased Complex Imaginary sample tests, their NEC practice manual and Spinup sample tests. Any problem that I couldn't understand I Googled and searched YouTube. I included a lot of internet material in my binder and spent a lot of time organizing that and my note sheet. I spent a significant amount of time organizing both of those. I've posted my entire strategy on this board before and can also send you that if you'd like.

The advice you've received so far is good. I would not recommend the MGI course. I purchased it because it was the least expensive. The problems are not really comparable to the ones on the exam. I took the GA Tech course, even though it's twice the price, and thought it was excellent. I've also heard good things about School of PE. I also purchased Complex Imaginary sample tests, their NEC practice manual and Spinup sample tests. Any problem that I couldn't understand I Googled and searched YouTube. I included a lot of internet material in my binder and spent a lot of time organizing that and my note sheet. I spent a significant amount of time organizing both of those. I've posted my entire strategy on this board before and can also send you that if you'd like.

Do what he said.

I took your approach and passed on the first attempt in April 2015. Very sound advice all around.

KatyLied P.E. - If you could send me your strategy I would greatly appreciate it.

I also understand that the MGI course may not be the best, but I am attempting to keep the costs down.

I know that Dr. Callen's course has received high praise, but it is lecture based and I think I need to do more problems and

I know he does not go over a lot of problems in his course. Furthermore, from a home study perspective, spending an 11/2 hours

in front of a screen on a daily basis may not be for me. I need to do lots of problems and drive to understanding the why behind the answer.

That is my story and I am sticking to it!!!! Once again, I truly appreciate all the help and insight the members of this board provide.

^ first off, you can use the forum search feature to find content by user (or by topic as well). It's posted in the electrical sub-forum. Second, Dr. Callen does plenty of practice problems during the course of his lectures. And gives some good strategies for reinforcing certain core concepts. But if lecture based is not for you, then that's understandable I suppose. Although the binder of information that accompanies the course is worth it's weight in gold IMO.

As for KatyLied's info, try these few that I brought up in a search:

http://engineerboards.com/index.php?showtopic=24881&view=findpost&p=7294180

http://engineerboards.com/index.php?showtopic=25243&view=findpost&p=7284398

Last edited by a moderator:
Fox....Thanks for posting that.

Wjrez......I do recommend at least going with Complex Imaginary, Spinup and internet resources. Lots of problems comparable to what's on the test. Make sure you allot several days to organize your own personal reference book and formula sheet. Just doing that ingrains a lot of knowledge in your head. Good luck. Just wondering, will your company reimburse you for the course. Also, I'm no tax expert, but if your company does not reimburse, I'm wondering if the course cost could be a tax deduction. Just saying that may help on your expense. Having said that only you know what's best for you.

Back