Custom framed my PE certificate

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malfurious

Reaction score
So even before I started studying for the PE... I knew what I wanted my PE frame to look like. I wanted my stamp to be the background for a floating frame of my certificate. I also posted it on my Etsy site here:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/243636456/custom-diploma-or-professional-license

il_570xN.815077666_1rdu.jpg

Let me know what you think!

Wow, you definitely get uniqueness points. That is very unique and very creative. Is the seal made of wood? Where did you get that made??

That's intense (and original.)

I wonder if any state board would have an issue with these?

Can you accommodate an 11x14 license? Is it only for the state of California?
Lund, I don't think malf is making and selling these (if that's what you mean?). I think he is just showing us his personal frame that he made/had made for himself.

I think Lund is asking because of the etsy link he posted. That implies that he is making them for sale...

Thank you for the great responses and feedback!

Wow, you definitely get uniqueness points. That is very unique and very creative. Is the seal made of wood? Where did you get that made??
I made it myself! I'll have to check my notes for what kind of wood... The name escapes me at the moment.

That's intense (and original.)

I wonder if any state board would have an issue with these?
I thought about that too. I know some states have only certain vendors that can make stamps, but this isn't really a "stamp" that can seal plans. I am justifying it as just a display piece. Of course, if anyone knows anything different, I would like to hear your input.

I am only licensed in California, but I can try to recreate a seal for another state. I checked the dimensions of an 11"x14" rectangle in an 18" diameter circle in CAD (something about a square peg and round hole comes to mind), and it barely fits, but doesn't allow for space around the certificate for the standoffs. I was limited in size for the round portion to 24"x18" (limitations of equipment), but there is nothing saying it couldn't be built in two pieces.

I am only licensed in California, but I can try to recreate a seal for another state. I checked the dimensions of an 11"x14" rectangle in an 18" diameter circle in CAD (something about a square peg and round hole comes to mind), and it barely fits, but doesn't allow for space around the certificate for the standoffs. I was limited in size for the round portion to 24"x18" (limitations of equipment), but there is nothing saying it couldn't be built in two pieces.

I just checked in CAD too, it only leaves 1/8" from the edge of the rectangle to the edge of the piece of wood. So really tight. I forgot to say yours looks AWESOME! very nice job!

I called the California State Board this afternoon. The code enforcement person I spoke with didn't see any issues with essentially a "giant seal" as long as it is not used on plans and used for display only. But they probably don't care about a kid who may sell a handful of these haha.

I just checked in CAD too, it only leaves 1/8" from the edge of the rectangle to the edge of the piece of wood. So really tight. I forgot to say yours looks AWESOME! very nice job!
I could do it in two pieces and then glue it together. The Oregon stamp would lend itself well, since the it looks like it can be cut in half. Scaling it up in CAD, I came up with ~22" in diameter.

Roundabout way of answering... Yes, I think I could accommodate an 11x14.

Oregon_Frame.png

Sample.png

I called the California State Board this afternoon. The code enforcement person I spoke with didn't see any issues with essentially a "giant seal" as long as it is not used on plans and used for display only. But they probably don't care about a kid who may sell a handful of these haha.

I could do it in two pieces and then glue it together. The Oregon stamp would lend itself well, since the it looks like it can be cut in half. Scaling it up in CAD, I came up with ~22" in diameter.

Roundabout way of answering... Yes, I think I could accommodate an 11x14.

Oregon_Frame.png

Sample.png
!!!!!!!!!!!!THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Just beautiful. It's a shame most of it is hidden behind the certificate. But I suppose it invites people to take a closer look and inspect your awesome craftsmanship.

Very impressive!  I'd be intrigued by a South Carolina one.  Our certificates are vertical instead of horizontal, but they're also 11x8.5.

So even before I started studying for the PE... I knew what I wanted my PE frame to look like. I wanted my stamp to be the background for a floating frame of my certificate. I also posted it on my Etsy site here:

Looks awesome. If you were to do a Washington one, would the "teeth" that make up the circumference be etched into a smooth circle or would you be able to cut the teeth into the wood?

[COLOR= rgb(40, 40, 40)]So even before I started studying for the PE... I knew what I wanted my PE frame to look like. I wanted my stamp to be the background for a floating frame of my certificate. I also posted it on my Etsy site here:[/COLOR]

Cooper, on my stamp, the CIVIL at the 6 o'clock position is "arc text" just like my (and your) name at the 12 o'clock position is arc text.  I think if you could do the 6 o'clock PE discipline in arc text, it would be legible below the certificate.  Just a suggestion. 

Back