What happens after passing

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cupojoe PE PMP

Reaction score
So the answer to this question will vary by state. I'm specifically asking about Missouri. I haven't yet been contacted by the board, just found the PASS on the MyNCEES page.There is the link that says next steps that takes me to a PDF document that says:

Upon verification by the Missouri Board that all requirements for licensure are complete,
you will be licensed as a Professional Engineer. Official notice of your licensure and
your Professional Engineer license will be mailed to you in approximately four to six
weeks.

The letter I received back in April says:

Your application for licensure as a professional engineer has been approved by the Professional Engineering Division of the Missouri Board for Architects, Professional Engineers, Professional Land Surveyors and Landscape Architects, subject to your passing the written examination required by law and supplementing your application with a full four years of satisfactory engineering experience.
I have previously submitted the supplemental experience documentation. So do I need to wait to start signing e-mails with ", PE"?

I think in NY, you will get license automatically after 4 to 5 weeks. I could be wrong though

In Indiana, we actually have to mail in our passing results from NCEES. We then got an email saying they had been received and we were then assigned a number

I would wait until you see your name and license # on the license search of the missouri engineering board website or until they send you a notice with your cerificate and license #.

In my opinion, the last thing you would want is to start signing things as a PE but with no documentation, electronic or otherwise, verifying your license #.

Just my advice to protect yourself, at least that's what I did in IL.

Hey cupofjoe I would definitely contact the Missouri Board. I too applied in Missouri and my letter said something slightly different. It reads:

"Your application for licensure as a Professional Engineer has been approved by the Professional Engineering Division of the Missouri Board, subject to your passing the written examination required by law."

It does not mention anything about providing additional experience documentation. So I suspect that either there is a mix up or your documentation wasn't adequate.

As stated earlier, I would NOT sign anything with PE until you have documentation in hand--i.e., a copy of the license. You have waited this long, another couple of weeks will not make any difference-- what you don't want to happen is to have some electronic glitch that you have no control over-- you sign your name with PE after it. Something goes haywire, they say that you were not a PE, etc. etc. etc.

Hang tight, if they say you pass, you will get the documentation in due time-- once you have it, then you are good to go. In some states, you have to get your stamp, stamp a document provided by the board and then send that back BEFORE you can get started. Look at the state rules-- may be different in your state, however, I had to do that in Texas and Montana.

Hey cupofjoe I would definitely contact the Missouri Board. I too applied in Missouri and my letter said something slightly different. It reads:

"Your application for licensure as a Professional Engineer has been approved by the Professional Engineering Division of the Missouri Board, subject to your passing the written examination required by law."

It does not mention anything about providing additional experience documentation. So I suspect that either there is a mix up or your documentation wasn't adequate.

Its because I submitted the application well before the deadline, I ended up being a couple months shy of the minimum. They said on the phone (and later in the approval letter) that it really isn't a big deal I would just need to submit the experience portion again (which I completed a couple months back).

I was already thinking the right thing to do would be to wait until everything comes through before including PE in e-mails/business cards. Your posts confirm my suspicion. Thanks

After passing, depending on how you led your life you relax in heaven or rot in hell...................... :wave2: :wave2:

I started working on the PMP application to fill the void of not having to towards the PE anymore.

Back