CA - Seismic/Surveying

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

svs

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm a licensed P.E. (Civil, Oct 2009) in the State of Oklahoma. I will be moving to CA sometime next year and hence have registered for CA-Seismic/Surveying for October 2011.

I would appreciate any help/advise on reference materials and preparatory information for taking these exams.

Thank you,

SVS

Hello all,
I'm a licensed P.E. (Civil, Oct 2009) in the State of Oklahoma. I will be moving to CA sometime next year and hence have registered for CA-Seismic/Surveying for October 2011.

I would appreciate any help/advise on reference materials and preparatory information for taking these exams.

Thank you,

SVS
Seismic: Use the Hiner manual (i linked to it in your previous post). If you're a structural engineer this shouldn't be too difficult. If you are in a different field then it may be beneficial to take the Hiner class to catchup on different seismic principles. There are like 6-8 different seismic equations for different systems (buildings, non-buildings, diaphragms, etc.). I would make spreadsheets for each showing which variables go into each and where you get them from. I believe that would be of great help (and you won't freak out when they pull up some equation without telling you where it's from and tell you to find some variable you've never seen before). If I have some time later this week i'll put up two spreadsheets that i've created on my wiki.

Surveying: I used cuomo but i didn't think that book did a great job of preparing me for what was on the test (although it did do a good job of showing me the surveying methodology). I recommend supplementing the cuomo book with a book of problems (or even take a class if you have the time). Your greatest problem with this test is time management.

I spent about a week studying for each surveying and seismic so since you have a lot of time before the test you should be able to spread things out and really dive into any subjects that are difficult.

Hello all,

Thank you,

SVS
Seismic: Use the Hiner manual (i linked to it in your previous post). If you're a structural engineer this shouldn't be too difficult. If you are in a different field then it may be beneficial to take the Hiner class to catchup on different seismic principles. There are like 6-8 different seismic equations for different systems (buildings, non-buildings, diaphragms, etc.). I would make spreadsheets for each showing which variables go into each and where you get them from. I believe that would be of great help (and you won't freak out when they pull up some equation without telling you where it's from and tell you to find some variable you've never seen before). If I have some time later this week i'll put up two spreadsheets that i've created on my wiki.

Surveying: I used cuomo but i didn't think that book did a great job of preparing me for what was on the test (although it did do a good job of showing me the surveying methodology). I recommend supplementing the cuomo book with a book of problems (or even take a class if you have the time). Your greatest problem with this test is time management.

I spent about a week studying for each surveying and seismic so since you have a lot of time before the test you should be able to spread things out and really dive into any subjects that are difficult.

Thank you for your response! I am not a structural engineer and I'm not in CA. So, taking Hiner's class will be difficult for me.

I did get the books/manuals you recommended. Did you get a chance to upload the two spreadsheets you mentioned?

Hello all,

Thank you,

SVS

Thank you for your response! I am not a structural engineer and I'm not in CA. So, taking Hiner's class will be difficult for me.

I did get the books/manuals you recommended. Did you get a chance to upload the two spreadsheets you mentioned?

SVS, you could always take Hiner's pre-recorded webinars. Personally, I am trying my best to self-study at home with just the workbook. Hiner's book is pretty good and even I (yes, even I) am actually understanding this stuff. How's your studying coming?

dast, I'd be interested in your spreadsheet too. Thanks.

Back