Prep for PE civil structural in CA

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GermanAndGreen

Reaction score
Hi,

just got the result back that I passed my FE civil exam. Since I have the mendatory 6 years of experience, I can now take my PE. Probaly not gonna happen in October - won't get my references and paperwork done in 8 days - so April it is!

I'm trying to figuere out what books and materials I should buy and where from. PPI2pass.com, amazon.com, craigslist, ... ?

I'm also interested in any form of study-group or at least have contact with fellow soon-to-be-PEs in California, preferable in the Bay Area.

I am from Germany but I live in San Francisco now.

Thanks!

Welcome!

There are lots of threads discussing which references people found useful and which weren't, but to be brief, just know that you won't want or need all of the suggested references. A book you can't or don't have time to use is a $100 desk weight. Take a look in the Civil exam prep section for more information.

As for how to acquire them, beg and borrow what you can. Even if some of your references are an edition or two old, that can be ok (depending on the reference). Depending on what you already have in your library for work, books can add up fast.

Good luck!

Thanks Lomarandil,

I spent some time comparing materials and different offers. I eventually ordered from amazon (new and used) and ppi2pass.com. Be careful if you order from ppi, some of their stuff is cheaper on amazon, the bundles include mostely too much stuff and before you order, search for promo codes (20%off).

Private sales turned out to be as expensive as amazon used or too old.

Sorry to all who I contacted and didn't buy from.

For now I have:

NEW:

CERM by Lindeburg, 14th edition

Practice Problems for CE PE exam by Lindeburg, 14th edition

Structural Depth Reference Manual for the Civil PE Exam
Williams PhD SE FICE C Eng, Alan

Structural Depth Practice Exams for the Civil PE Exam
Giancaspro PhD PE, James

USED:
Surveying Practice Problems
Nelson, Timothy J

345 Solved Seismic Design Problems
Baradar PE, Majid

Seismic Principles Practice Exams for the California Special Civil Engineer Examination
Baradar PE, Majid

checked out from the publi library :

CE PE Practice Exams by Goswami.

I think that gives me a good start.

Any suggestions on what's missing? Thanks you

Hi! I'm in the East Bay and will be taking the Civil Water Resources & Environment / Surveying / Seismic in April 2015.

It looks like you'll be doing the depth in structural, but if you'd like to study the breadth together, let me know. I'm also trying to work out the strategy for the seismic and surveying sections, so I'd be interested in discussing your plan of attack.

Back