ME student needing advice

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

linearcitrus

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm a mechanical engineering student graduating in May.

I'm a very hands on type person and love to be working in and around things. I would like to get into the defense and/or energy sector once completing school.

I've found that (as to be expected) most engineering jobs are the boring 8 hour a day in offices type deals. That's not for me (and maybe I chose the wrong major haha). I've been looking at some of the bigger name companies such as GE, Rolls Royce, large utility companies, and they offer some positions that seem to be perfect fits!

For instance, GE has a field service engineer that involves the expected engineering work, along with actually going out and getting your hands on their products (turbines, generators, etc). However, for those positions specifically, alot of them say "Come see us on a campus near you!" Well, unfortunately there are none of those near me.

So does anyone have any advice for a young engineer looking for a more interactive position? Any companies come to mind? Willing to travel anywhere!

Thanks for reading!

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations, I am also an ME going to UCF. I postponed my graduation until December because I am really hoping to get an internship this last summer (I am still applying to many companies).

So I don't have any professional advice but I do know from many people that are in industry what the field service positions are like.

From what you say you don't want to be a design engineer (neither do I), working on CAD software Monday thru Friday 8 to 5 in your designated area.

The field service area would be the complete opposite and from what you have described it seems it is what you would like. In such case there are many companies that come to mind with these kind of programs. Siemens, Mitsubishi, Schlumberger, Cummins, GE, Progress Energy (located on the east coast), Caterpillar, Baker Hughes...

What you do want to know about field service positions is that yes as you stated it involves actually going out and getting your hands dirty. To elaborate you will be going out to many different places all the time (so you better like traveling and hotel rooms), some of these places might be cities while others can be in the middle of nowhere. The companies that are in many countries may send you to those countries (so you should also be adaptable to different cultures, food, environments etc.) I know this to be specially true of Schlumberger and Mitsubishi. The Siemens EIT program is for field service and they have US only option or international (Siemens is in more than 140 countries).

So you also need to be really prepared for long hard work, people working in field service do work 80+ hours a week, it is definitely not your normal 8 to 5 weekly schedule. The good news is from what the people I know tell me you will be making around six figures before taxes, the bad news is that you will be doing nothing but working and sleeping so you better enjoy your job.

I hope this answers your question. I also hope a professional in industry might elaborate a little more.

Keep me posted how things go.

Thanks for the insight jsanchez0510.

You're right in that I don't want to be in an office environment M-F 9-5. One thing that I think works to my advantage is my flexibility. I have (and plan on having for awhile) the flexibility to travel, live anywhere, and adjust. I can't speak on how traveling every week would affect me because I haven't done it, but I'm open and willing to do it.

I'll look into some of those companies and see what they have to offer.

Thanks again

go for Field Services, thats hands-on. All major design/manufacturing companies have a field services division. Look into those.

I started out working for a Utility (American Electric Power) as a field engineer traveling and working at all of their power generation sites and the experience was invaluable. If you aren't tied down, now is the time to take such a position. This will be harder to do as you start a family. I was able to translate my field engineer work into a maintenance career which in my opinion gives a better work/life balance for someone with a family.

Back