AWS CWI or CWEng Certification

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mizzoueng

Hop Addict
Reaction score
Has anyone went through the AWS CWI or CWEng programs?

My company is interested in my getting my CWI but the CWEng programs looks interesting as well. They are different programs, but I was wanting to see if anyone here has gone through them and can give me some insight into how you think they differ and what you have used it for.

CWI - Inspection

CWEng - Eh, nothing, really. It's a resume topper or may add some validity in the clients eyes if you're working in the welding engineering field and you're not a metallurgist, but other than that, it has no legal bearing on anything, nor does it permit any design work on a level comparable to a PE. In fact, if you have a PE, they will give you a CWEng provided you meet the minimum criteria.

Often, a CWI garners more respect than a CWEng in the eyes of clients, as a CWI usually knows what he's looking at. A CWEng, not necessarily.

I'll be taking my CWI later this year, and the only reason I haven't gotten it yet is because there wasn't a need. I will say that if you are not very well versed in welding and inspection, it's difficult to pass. The book portion isn't difficult, but the general knowledge portion contains a lot of NDE specific questions, and the visual inspection portion has nabbed even some experienced inspectors.

CWI - Inspection
CWEng - Eh, nothing, really. It's a resume topper or may add some validity in the clients eyes if you're working in the welding engineering field and you're not a metallurgist, but other than that, it has no legal bearing on anything, nor does it permit any design work on a level comparable to a PE. In fact, if you have a PE, they will give you a CWEng provided you meet the minimum criteria.

Often, a CWI garners more respect than a CWEng in the eyes of clients, as a CWI usually knows what he's looking at. A CWEng, not necessarily.

I'll be taking my CWI later this year, and the only reason I haven't gotten it yet is because there wasn't a need. I will say that if you are not very well versed in welding and inspection, it's difficult to pass. The book portion isn't difficult, but the general knowledge portion contains a lot of NDE specific questions, and the visual inspection portion has nabbed even some experienced inspectors.
THis is pretty much what I was looking for. I had a feeling the CWEng was not at useful as the CWI, but didn't have a good explanation of what the CWEng actually did. A couple jobs I saw did say they wanted the candidate to be a CWI or CWEng, which was my first clue that the two were somewhat interchangeable or would at least give the holder some merit.

I think I will shoot for the CWI and since I am taking the PE this fall, if I pass I will just apply for the CWEng through equivalent experience.

Back