New enviro members

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dleg

Spammer Emeritus
Reaction score
If you're new to EB and you're an environmental engineer, give us a shout here and introduce yourselves. The environmental section has been kind of lonely so far....

I haven't heard anything on the forum about the Environmental PE exam...whether it was easy, tough, reasonable...any comments!! I thought most of the numerical questions were quite straightforward (or at least thats what I assumed!!!!) but I'm not so sure about some of the qualitative questions, especially the ones relating to regulations, some were really strange.

Hoping that some of the guesses work my way and I can scrap through with a 70..we'll see!!!

Welcome pe-enviro! That's how I felt about the Oct. 06 exam. I passed, so maybe that's a good sign for you!

Testee, didn't I see you posting over on "the other board"? Welcome! Where's your friend?

Welcome pe-enviro! That's how I felt about the Oct. 06 exam. I passed, so maybe that's a good sign for you!
Testee, didn't I see you posting over on "the other board"? Welcome! Where's your friend?

Thanks, yes that's me.

My friend? I have not seen him either. I'm thinking he went "turtle".

well, I took CE/WR, but I consider myself pretty environmentally concious.

Wow..I still don't see any posts on the Oct '07 Enviro exam....either very few people took it or it was just too easy for the people who took it, and not worth commenting!!! :rolleyes:

^^^ There are very few people who take the outright Environmental PE Exam. I am not really sure why that is the case but if it is not the case we haven't been able to tap into that market.

For me, my graduate work was in civil geotechnical so I had enough diversity by way of education and experience to take the civil exam. Maybe others feel the same way? :dunno:

Anyways, don't let the lack of posts discourage you! What we lack in numbers we make up for in character! :) :bananalama:

JR

I took it in April 2006. I don't remember much about the actual exam. But as far as my test prep went, I thought the regulatory qualitative stuff was generally worse than the quantitative.

Most of the quantitative stuff is pretty empirical and formulaic. Just nod your head and plug the numbers in.

Anytime I saw: "According to 40 CFR 123, the definition of XXX is ...." I wanted to scream.

The full envl exam has a morning breadth section followed by an afternoon double breadth section it seems.

I took the Oct 07 Environmental Exam....I guess there isn't really much to say...this was my second time taking it, so the format, etc. was not particularly surprising. Some ?'s almost seemed ridiciously easy, and some I don't think I could've figured out if I had all day. It is kind of difficult to talk about the Env. Exam without getting into too much detail. Based on the 2 exams I took, and what I have heard from others, it seems like (in the afternoon at least) they kind of pick one topic and relate several questions to that topic, regardless of the question category is supposed to be. So you REALLY have to understand what the question is asking you to do. To me, it seems like 9 times out of 10, the question reads a lot more complicated than what you really have to do to solve it. At least that is what I assumed. We'll see if this is correct in a couple months!

I am in the same boat as CVA07...second time through the wringer. I did not have as much time to study as I would have liked, but I went in with a 'Let's see how I do this time' attitude. I took the exam the first time in Denver with about 1,000 people in the room, and I think my test taking anxiety took over. This time I took it in a smaller venue (Grand Junction), and did not feel like my brain was an empty sponge. I felt more confident this time, but like CAV07, we shall see! Only 10 more weeks...WOO HOO.

^^Good luck!

1,000 people taking the exam at the same time?? Are you serious??

Hi 'pe-enviro'

I took the enviro exam in oct 2007 from columbus ohio ..... u r right some questions seemed very easy ... but NCEES review materials shows that questions which seems very very easy are not actually easy .... there is a trick involved ..... I hope we are correct.

lot of questions on partition of organic stuff in soil .... did not know much i guessed there...

qualitative questions ... some were straight forward ... but some were waste of time as only knowledge of the area will answer those questions...

peace

hi CVA07,

second time here buddy .... took it first in oct 2006 .... did not study much ... guessed a lot .... but this time better .....

i thought morning half was easier than afternoon half ... any takers ???

hi CVA07,
second time here buddy .... took it first in oct 2006 .... did not study much ... guessed a lot .... but this time better .....

i thought morning half was easier than afternoon half ... any takers ???
I agree...the afternoon seemed more difficult. I made more guesses on the afternoon than I would have liked. I may have exaggerated a little on the number of people taking the exam my first time...it just felt like about 1,000 people. Most Coloradans take the exam in Denver. Good luck to all! :mail-296:

I don't remember much about the a.m. portion...I do remember thinking there seemed to be a lot more water treatment questions than wastewater. I am not familiar with much of the Industrial Hygiene stuff, and I think they write out the remediation questions a lot harder than they need to be for practical use, so I did find the afternoon part pretty tricky.

I found this info on the Nevada Board of Engrs and Surveyors webpage

"You will need approximately of 45 to 50 of the 80 points to pass the exams ( the passing raw scores vary on all exams ). The passing raw score is scaled or converted to a score of 70. Your total score will be a combination of both morning and afternoon answers, therefore, attendance at both sessions is required."

http://boe.state.nv.us/BOE%20Forms/PE%20Ap...E_Exam_Info.htm

That translates to between 57 and 63 out of 100 for the Enviro exam :thankyou: !!! These numbers seem to be a bit off the mark though....lower that what most people wld expect???

I think from my diagnostic last year I had a 57 (and didn't pass), so whatever that means...

Back